69 Chrysler distributor & vacuum advance

MJFUR

Reaction score
69 Chrysler 300, 440/350hp. Decided to go thru the distributor and install a Petronix unit. My problem seems to be the "arm" configuration of the vacuum advance.

Original(?)/currently installed vacuum advance has the arm pin facing upward, so the arm runs in between the upper/lower contact plate.
The new vacuum advance has the arm pin facing downward. Spent an hour at NAPA trying to match what I have, no luck.
Original Service Manual shows arm pin facing upward as well. What am I missing?

Additionally the upper contact plate (which attaches to the vacuum advance ) is fairly stiff to move. Almost feels too stiff without having anything else to compare with.
Should the plates be lubricated where they contact each other or should the movement be free and easy?

20220112_120526.jpg

20220112_105657.jpg

20220112_113906.jpg

20220112_114322.jpg

20220112_115457.jpg

20220112_115626.jpg

20220112_140828.jpg

You have recieved a LA or Slant vac advance. I should have one probably rebuilt for yours. Thats is a straight arm and hard to find. What number is stamped on it? Looks like 8.5L
The plate should move easily, probably gummed up take the clip off the bottom CAREFULLY and clean and then grease the three brass looking studs/buttons

You have recieved a LA or Slant vac advance. I should have one probably rebuilt for yours. Thats is a straight arm and hard to find. What number is stamped on it? Looks like 8.5L
The plate should move easily, probably gummed up take the clip off the bottom CAREFULLY and clean and then grease the three brass looking studs/buttons
Mine is marked 10.5L.

I spent an hour at NAPA as they looked thru their available vacuum advances, the VC1135 is supposedly for the 440, but you say otherwise. You would think that one of the various parts they had would have fit. Was the straight arm specific to just a few cars/years?

Is there a part # available to get a straight arm from another car parts shop or Amazon locally? Are there no straight arms available over the counter anymore?

If none are available I do not have a problem buying one from you, was just looking for a quicker solution. What are you asking for yours?

Thx for the help.

Good luck finding one. I get them rebuilt they are that hard to find and NOS is a crapshoot if the diaphram is good or not.

Mine is marked 10.5L.

I spent an hour at NAPA as they looked thru their available vacuum advances, the VC1135 is supposedly for the 440, but you say otherwise. You would think that one of the various parts they had would have fit. Was the straight arm specific to just a few cars/years?

Is there a part # available to get a straight arm from another car parts shop or Amazon locally? Are there no straight arms available over the counter anymore?

Thx for the help.
Go by the shape of the arm and the total advance marked on it. 10.5L

Back