69 Imperial Won't Crank over

The starter relay is next to test.

Yes, I have to find someone again to turn the key for me while doing this. Any ideas on how to do it myself??

I do have a 73 Imperial that operates fine. Worse case scenario I guess I could swap it with that one to test it.

Starter relay is very easy to diagnose. Let me tell you the system operation first, Top terminal is always hot, battery voltage into the relay. Second terminal is to starter, should be hot with key in start. At the bottom left should be a yellow wire, this is the trigger from the ignition switch, should also be hot with key in start position. Bottom right should be a white wire, this is relay ground through the neutral safety switch in the trans, should be grounded in Park or Neutral. Check for these things and let us know what you find.

Okay, I determined that the starter relay is working fine. I did this by trying to start the car and there was no voltage to the second terminal nor the yellow wire had no voltage to it when trying to start it. Reason I say relay is okay is I swapped out the known working good relay from my 73 Imperial and I had the same results when testing relay. So , I took a piece of wire and touched it against the top terminal (always has voltage) and touched it against the 2nd terminal and the starter was kicking in and turning the engine fine. So we know it is not the starter relay, nor anything with starter. It is something from the starter relay back to behind the dash pad in fuse block. I confirmed this by going underneath dash and feeling and listening the relay to the right of the fuse block. I pulled the 1 single wire from this relay and the "boing, boing" noise stopped. I pulled the other wire off of this relay which connects to 3 blades on this relay and same result. So I swapped this relay with the known good same relay from my 73 Imperial. Same result. The same "boing, boing" noise coming from this relay.
Something electrical is not liking something else and killing my voltage going up to the starter relay. I looked at all fuses in fuse block and they are all good. Would a short to ground be causing this?

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE VOLTAGE ON THE YELLOW WIRE WHEN THE KEY IS IN START, OR A GROUND ON THE WHITE WIRE THE RELAY WILL NEVER WORK. PLEASE READ MY EARLIER POST.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE VOLTAGE ON THE YELLOW WIRE WHEN THE KEY IS IN START, OR A GROUND ON THE WHITE WIRE THE RELAY WILL NEVER WORK. PLEASE READ MY EARLIER POST.

Yes, I know that. That is what I am explaining. There is something wrong under the dash not allowing voltage to get to the yellow wire with both relays. Problem lies before the starter relay.

Check to see if you have voltage coming out of the ignition switch, if not replace the switch, if so look at the bulk head connection.

Back