For Sale '69 Mercury Marauder X100 FS OH. Craigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete Kaczmarski

Reaction score
Contact seller
I like these cars ever since my parents test drove one of these used in 1970.

1969 Mercury Marauder X-100 - $9000 (Dayton)

1969 Mercury Marauder X-100

429 CID, V-8 360 HP, New interior and tires. $6,000.00 in mechanical upgrades done in 2014 (with receipts). This is a rare classic car in excellent condition.

If, if, if...
<Drool... >

00d0d_bkwx68k4zc3_600x450.jpg

The Mercury's (and Lincolns) of that era are very appealing to me. Even had a Mark III for a while. Suspension was too floaty on the highway for me, but I loved everything else about it.

Cool cars , never owned one but love to see them out and about. Always grabbed my attention

was actually looking at one of these when l came across the fury....
307887-Berserker.jpg

For that kind of money it looks like alot of car,If the work is done right. A finished classic for under 10k is a deal.
What would have been Ma's direct competition in 69? SFGT?

Another rare overlooked car. One of very few Mercurys I like.

Ford had big expectations for the Mercury line that year. The Marauder, a distinct model in 1969, was made the flagship of the Mercury portfolio. The X-100 would consist of traditional full-size Mercury “luxury” but with the added power of a new power plant, the 360 horsepower 429. Priced in 1969 between $4000 and $5000, the intention was to contend with Buick Wildcat and Pontiac Grand Prix sales. The Marauder X-100 was typical of the muscle cars produced at the time. As the 1960s drew to a close, performance came in two basic forms: big engines in small packages and big engines in big packages. Large cars with big engines were performance specialty cars, and the X-100 fit right in.

Hooniverse Obscure Muscle Car Garage – The 1969-70 Mercury Marauder X-100

For that kind of money it looks like alot of car,If the work is done right. A finished classic for under 10k is a deal.
What would have been Ma's direct competition in 69? SFGT?

That red x100 is at least for 2 years for sale on CL.
If it was a sport fury GT it was sold in 2 hours.

These are just plain wicked-looking, especially with the black-out trunk lid and the fender gills. I like!

Cars like that is the reason I don't buy outside my religion.
I love that car and would probably overpay for it.
It would be like a Chevy guy coming here and asking how to fix the ATC II and where can he get rear quarter replacements. Meanwhile we don't know whether to laugh at the guy or feel sorry for him.
Just to avoid the ridicule from the Mercury forums, I wouldn't buy it. Not at this point in my life. As a young'n? In a heartbeat.

That's a pretty upmarket Mercury... I'd say Chrysler 300.

???????

It's a Mercury with a Ford roofline and a stripe package. It's just a 'little nicer Ford'. That doesn't bump it 'upline' to Chrysler status. The 300 was much more upscale.

It's a Mercury with a Ford roofline and a stripe package. It's just a 'little nicer Ford'. That doesn't bump it 'upline' to Chrysler status. The 300 was much more upscale

Really? and a 300 is not also? throughout history of the 300 pretty much any option could be had on at least one other MOPAR model. If there is a car that did not share trim etc and fits you comments it was the '66 Olds Toronado. Yes, I have a '66 Toro and '62 300 convert and I love them both.

???????

It's a Mercury with a Ford roofline and a stripe package. It's just a 'little nicer Ford'. That doesn't bump it 'upline' to Chrysler status. The 300 was much more upscale.

It's hard to imagine what could be more arcane than debating the market postioning of 47 y/o cars, but there is no "downmarket" stripper 302 version of a big Merc in 1969. There is for the Polara, so Monaco would be more accurate, but even that didn't gaurantee the top (displacement) engine option.

Chrysler was the full-size Merc performance competitor. A Monaco might line up against a standard Marquis, or a Coronet against a Montego. And just to even the voting, the XL looks like yuck against the Merc. Way more personality at the sign of the cat. But then again, I'd take a Cougar over a Kiddie-car 'stang any day.

When I brought the whole "what would this car compete against" angle up, I was thinking Sport Fury GT, and what else? maybe the Impala SS, or the Bonneville?

The 300 was a flagship, I'm not old enough to remember what the brand X cars were like,from distant memory, it seems like the 300 is in a class by itself, kind of like in a class where there should have been a performance version of the Lincoln or Cadillac.It would be interesting to see what the cost comparisons were to these models.

Someone said Polara 500, was that viewed as a sportier full size?

All kind of a moot point, don'tcha think.
Every Mopar, GM, and FoMoCo full sized 2dr. with a big mo-fo V8 and outrageous sexy looks could all be equipped comparably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back