SOLD 7 1/4 Sure Grip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_John

Illegitimi non carborundum
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
Long shot here... But yes, that's correct. I need a sure-grip for a 7 1/4" A body rear for my '65 Barracuda.

Anybody??

I don't think I've ever seen a 7.25 SG...is that even a thing?

I don't think I've ever seen a 7.25 SG...is that even a thing?
Yep. My Formula S Barracuda had one when new. Someone switched the 3.23 rear for 2.76 and replaced the sure-grip with an open carrier. I actually even have that receipt from when it was done for a previous owner.

They are scarce, I've found one so far, but the owner decided he didn't want to sell.

The usual SOP is to just replace with an 8 3/4" rear ($$) and be done with it, but I'd really like to stay "original" with this car.

Yep. My Formula S Barracuda had one when new. Someone switched the 3.23 rear for 2.76 and replaced the sure-grip with an open carrier. I actually even have that receipt from when it was done for a previous owner.

They are scarce, I've found one so far, but the owner decided he didn't want to sell.

The usual SOP is to just replace with an 8 3/4" rear ($$) and be done with it, but I'd really like to stay "original" with this car.
Just a question. I have a 8 3/4 from a A-100 van. Would that work?

You might give WILDCAT MOTORS ah call on Tuesday John. Their in Sandy, Oregon 'bout a half hour east of Portland and have ah ton of A-Body carz 'n partz. They work Tuesday thru' Friday and work by appointment only on Saturdays. 503-668-7786 PDT. BTW, Did not My little pea brain tell me you were thinking of selling your '65 ? FYI Pal, FASTENAL will be your cheapest way to ship that pumpkin by far. Need more info on that company P.M. me, Jer

You might give WILDCAT MOTORS ah call on Tuesday John. Their in Sandy, Oregon 'bout a half hour east of Portland and have ah ton of A-Body carz 'n partz. They work Tuesday thru' Friday and work by appointment only on Saturdays. 503-668-7786 PDT. BTW, Did not My little pea brain tell me you were thinking of selling your '65 ? FYI Pal, FASTENAL will be your cheapest way to ship that pumpkin by far. Need more info on that company P.M. me, Jer

Thanks Jer. I'll give them a try.

Not selling the '65, but it's funny you say that. My neighbor asked if I had sold it yesterday. Seems there's an identical Barracuda around the corner from me and he thought it was mine.

I discovered that there is no reason to move up to an 8¾ on these cars.
The u-joints always give up the ghost before the rear.
Consider the u-joints as shear pins and always carry a spare.

Wait. I forgot. We don't drive like that anymore. :lol:

There is one on craigslist for sale for $300 in a 2.76 year ratio. I don't know how to post the link. But its listed on the tri cities idaho/maple ridge page. He is asking $300 for it.

Once upon a Time garden tractor pulling tractor guys liked these rears, maybe that circle would know of a source

I am one of those garden tractor puller guys. And I'm telling you that there is one in tri cities/maple ridge for $300. Lol. And I was wrong about its location. I think it's in the Spokane craigslist page.

Cheap, abundant, and commonly have a 2.76 year ratio that works well for garden tractor pullers and will never break on a tractor with less than the usual 20/25 hp. They were common to be used in cub cadets. And the sure grip ones were common usage. Probably why most car guys can't find them.

There is one on craigslist for sale for $300 in a 2.76 year ratio. I don't know how to post the link. But its listed on the tri cities idaho/maple ridge page. He is asking $300 for it.

I am one of those garden tractor puller guys. And I'm telling you that there is one in tri cities/maple ridge for $300. Lol. And I was wrong about its location. I think it's in the Spokane craigslist page.

Looked at Craigslist at both places.. Couldn't find anything.

If you can, find it again and just highlight the address and right click. Hit copy, and then post it by right click, then paste to post it here.

I spoke with dr diff a few weeks ago about rearend parts. As we are rebuilding an A-body 8 3/4 rearend sure grip. He really only does a couple 741 sets, 742, 489 and Dana 60 stuff. Nothing in the 7.25 let alone complete housings. The 7.25 sure grip I saw was in Canada. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back