70-73 stub frame bushings

73 NYB

Reaction score
I have to pull the stub out of my 73 New Yorker for some rust repair and most of the rubber mounts look pretty rough. I doubt there is a source for new ones but did anyone else come up with something that is easier to find? Maybe truck cab mounts would work?

I saw in another thread someone mentioned using hockey pucks. The height looks about right, but did they use them on the bottom side too? Or just a large washer with the bolt tight against the frame?

I don't have any hard facts, just an opinion:

Hockey pucks are not what they seem. Pucks seem to be absolutely indestructible, but they're not. In the world of rubber, they're quite brittle and have poor resilience (as the definition of that word applies to rubber durometer), and they "fret" under load and abrasion. My experience? I use them on floor jacks when lifting modern Corvettes on the frame. Eventually they crumble, and we're talking occasional use. For your stub isolators? Unless someone knows that I'm positively wrong about "puck life" in this application, I would not do this.

This is a case where I would like to be wrong.

I don't have any hard facts, just an opinion:

Hockey pucks are not what they seem. Pucks seem to be absolutely indestructible, but they're not. In the world of rubber, they're quite brittle and have poor resilience (as the definition of that word applies to rubber durometer), and they "fret" under load and abrasion. My experience? I use them on floor jacks when lifting modern Corvettes on the frame. Eventually they crumble, and we're talking occasional use. For your stub isolators? Unless someone knows that I'm positively wrong about "puck life" in this application, I would not do this.

This is a case where I would like to be wrong.
At freezing temperature, a hockey puck is 90-91durometer on the A scale.

At freezing temperature, a hockey puck is 90-91durometer on the A scale.

So you mean "rock hard with a little give"?

Further, I know you know about these things, Big_John. Your opinion on hockey pucks for frame bushings?

Last edited:
So you mean "rock hard with a little give"?

Further, I know you know about these things, Big_John. Your opinion on hockey pucks for frame bushings?
Too hard. You might as well mount it solid. Some guys have used them, but I can't tell you if it really worked well or not. I kind of doubt it. I think they crumble as they age too.

I'd look at the generic bushings that some of the polyurethane suspension suppliers sell. They sell by size and I'll bet they have something close.

I totally concur that hockey pucks crumble. Without a lot of age, IMO.

Agree that body/frame bushings by an aftermarket supplier for GM or Ford cars could probably be adapted once a similar size is found. Might require some trimming or modification, but far better than a sure-to-fail hockey puck.

I have a '72 Newport and the closest thing I could find were poly bushings for a '73 Coronet (although the link says Charger). Thinking they were universal parts coming out of the factory, I took a chance. I picked up my replacement stub (thanks, @Wollfen) and after placing them in the spots, I'll have to shave them down to fit correctly. Super quality product and hardware but there is work to be done to make them fit.

Body Mount Bushings Kit - Dodge Charger - 5.4111

Thanks for the comments. I agree with the thoughts on hockey pucks being a poor choice. I just mentioned them because I seen some comments about them in past threads doing a search.
The ones Matt posted look like they would work if cut down. The ones on my '90 Ram look similiar but are also a lot taller.

I'll see how mine are when I pull the frame out tomorrow. I got the fenders, hood and most of the odds and ends unhooked today.

Keep us updated! I want to redo the ones in my 71 Polara, as the metal washers completely rusted away from the bushings.

Well it's out and it's rough lol.
The rear mount pockets stayed with the body. It would be nice if I could find a nicer frame but I'll have to make do with this one. It's been patched a bunch over the years with 1/8 plate to where the sides and bottom were all replaced and only the top that couldn't be reached was original and of course most of that is shot. The driver side wasn't as bad as it looks, I cut the top open with a grinder before I took the pic. Ahead of firewall mounts it seems in to be in good shape. The insides of the rails were full to the top with sand dirt and old rusty metal chunks.
All the firewall mount nuts broke free of course and just spun. They're rusted out on the bottoms anyway. I think I'm going to cut the spot welds and rebuild them off the car. Lots of work to do. If these car were more common around here I would probably part it out and get another but I'm going to at least try to fix this one.

image0 (1).jpeg

image13 (1).jpeg

image12.jpeg

image11.jpeg

Well it's out and it's rough lol.
The rear mount pockets stayed with the body. It would be nice if I could find a nicer frame but I'll have to make do with this one. It's been patched a bunch over the years with 1/8 plate to where the sides and bottom were all replaced and only the top that couldn't be reached was original and of course most of that is shot. The driver side wasn't as bad as it looks, I cut the top open with a grinder before I took the pic. Ahead of firewall mounts it seems in to be in good shape. The insides of the rails were full to the top with sand dirt and old rusty metal chunks.
All the firewall mount nuts broke free of course and just spun. They're rusted out on the bottoms anyway. I think I'm going to cut the spot welds and rebuild them off the car. Lots of work to do. If these car were more common around here I would probably part it out and get another but I'm going to at least try to fix this one.

View attachment 485664

View attachment 485665

View attachment 485666

View attachment 485667
I guess mine was actually in better shape than I thought. Welcome to the big projects. I did my rust free subframe in POR-15. What are the plans for the suspension?
A7869FB1-919A-41CF-BD80-B3969842141D.jpeg
F653FE2B-D62B-4DCB-B8BD-87618279D1A0.jpeg
895A2EC3-5D27-4408-A7B1-7DF03E09431D.jpeg
4893F90D-4A77-453D-89A9-EB3B7D35FD5C.jpeg

I guess mine was actually in better shape than I thought. Welcome to the big projects. I did my rust free subframe in POR-15. What are the plans for the suspension?
Yeah thats crusty too but at least you have something to go by if someone wanted to fix it.
It definitely needs upper and lower control arm bushings but I'll probably do them next year sometime, I bought upper and lower ball joints and tie rods a few years ago but never did get around to putting them on.
The plan is to at least get the subframe back under it before the weather turns since I'm doing everything outside.

Yeah thats crusty too but at least you have something to go by if someone wanted to fix it.
It definitely needs upper and lower control arm bushings but I'll probably do them next year sometime, I bought upper and lower ball joints and tie rods a few years ago but never did get around to putting them on.
The plan is to at least get the subframe back under it before the weather turns since I'm doing everything outside.
A6629EA1-8891-4551-B88B-B9FACD563DC0.jpeg
ADEA7E40-2119-4C05-A5D7-553928834158.jpeg

Luckily found a solid one in Florida. Rebuilt the whole front end too, but put it back on with the original stub bushings. Do it once, do it right.

Do you guys have dimensions of these bushes?
Our local Holdens (GM) in Australia have stub frames with bushes. The bushes may match up.
I could compare to these and give you the good or bad news.
While I am at it would any of the US GM's (Chevelles?) with stub frames match up size wise?

Has a search been done for NOS bushings?
What is the part number? or numbers
Some one has a NOS one...measure it - as already suggested

Back