70 Fury 440 oil pan

Bill fury

Reaction score
Looking to buy an oil pan for my Fury. I know 187,and 699 pans work. My question is do i buy with the baffles? Or can I just buy one without, and use a windage tray? The 440 is 30 over street motor. Thanks

The oil pan baffle is not the same as the windage tray. Different functions.

Looking to buy an oil pan for my Fury. I know 187,and 699 pans work. My question is do i buy with the baffles? Or can I just buy one without, and use a windage tray? The 440 is 30 over street motor. Thanks

Stock engine 350hp did not use baffles. Would not hurt to upgrade, but you would need to order the pickup tube for the baffled unit. Stock engine if you are going to run it as such does not really need a windage tray, you can pick up about an additional 5-7 horsepower if you plan to run it over 4.5k rpms. (not recommended for a stock unit). Street engines ran in excess of 100k without any of those upgrades. Put in a double roller timing chain as part of the rebuild and call it good. I usually add dampered valve springs as well on my street builds for increased valve train stability.

Dave

To me baffle is a hard requirement if you ever plan to stomp on it from a dead stop. Without mine would always flicker the oil light about 3 sec after punching it

I used Milodon 32000 Windage tray on my 1969 440 and it was too tall for front of 187 pan. Need height of tray and depth of pan before wasting $. Mine Runs fine without tray or baffle. Will burn rubber with 3.23 sure grip.
IMG_20200228_174553711 Windage tray, no pickup.jpg

Certainly, hooking up has more G-forces which force the oil to the rear of the pan, but sudden higher rpms can suck-up the oil quicker, too, which can turn on the oil light, too, as it does on my '70 DH43N. If, under throttle, the rear tires would lose traction, as soon as the rpms spiked, the oil light would come on. Which meant that I'd put it in "N" until the light went off, then recommence forward motion.

Just my experiences, yours might vary,
CBODY67

I might be lucky but I've never had one starve itself just uncover the pickup

Back