Stock oil pan

frankiln

Reaction score
My stock pan did not have any baffles or windage tray , so that’s how I put it back . I’ve been seeing that they say to use windage trey. do I need one , when my stock motor did not have that.

My stock pan did not have any baffles or windage tray , so that’s how I put it back . I’ve been seeing that they say to use windage trey. do I need one , when my stock motor did not have that.
No, you do not need one. Is it a nice addition to add while engine is open? I would and I also have not. It was added to cars with spirited driving in there use, like police, HP package etc. The windage tray helps keep the oil from get caught up and whipped around by the crank, some lower the oil level to help with windage. The tray works for high rpm extended runs, 4000 rpm and up as I read in a test.

A windage tray isn't a necessity by any means. What it does is keep excess oil off the crankshaft, which in theory, saves a little horse power.

It isn't going to make any real difference in normal driving. If you had the pan off, yea, not a bad idea to add, but unless you are going racing, not worth pulling the pan to install.

Ok thanks , I just installed motor back in car , and didn’t want to take it back out.

if you drive like a old lady your good. baffles are good for fast take offs especially on a center sump oil pan like our c-bodys. windage tray good for high rpms to get the oil back down to the pan because the crank is whipping it around and yes a little more hp. i had problems with both take off and high rpms looking at my oil pressure gauge. now i have a baffle and tray. putting less oil in will make both problems worse uncovering the pick up.

Last edited:
Agree, don't worry about it unless you're racing it or routinely taking it to higher engine speeds.

Back