70 Fury Hemi build

chrisnben

Reaction score
Well, it starts with a daydream of someday owning a 1970 Fury. I always liked the features on these (as many of you guys do too)- hide-a-way headlights, hood "titties", of course all in a 2-dr coupe and the shear size of the beast.

The stars aligned this week, as I stumbled on a '70 Fury Gran Coupe and bought it sight unseen. I always digged the paisley top and interior on these.

A couple years ago, I bought a 65 Belvedere Super Stock clone A-990 car with a stroked Hemi in it. Although I loved the car, i pulled the Hemi out and sold the car as a roller. Now, I have been staring at the beast for the past year in the garage. It's almost a curse, like it is talking to you, "please find another car to put me in"! I was tempted to sell the engine, knowing I could finish two other project cars with the money. But NOOOOO, the $20000 engine is now going into the Fury. I thought, an elephant in a barge- why not!

I've recently put A/C and P/S on the Hemi and gathered other parts like EFI, ignition, billet pullies, etc. I knew whatever car this engine went in, it would be a nice cruiser with comfort. I knew the engine had "excess" power to tap into. The Hemi is stroked to 528 C.I. with a 4.15 crank, 10.5/1 Ross pistons, aluminum Indy legend heads and valvetrain, intake. Aluminum MP water pump as well- all trying to keep the weight down! She makes roughly 650 HP & 625 Ft.Lb. which should be enough for the Fury! It purrs like a cat- knowing from the brief time I drove it in the '65 B-body. Stay tuned, in the next few weeks i'll have the car here and start the transformation!
hemi%20pics%202_zpshfziwxzv.jpg

874334385_zpssvtyfceu.jpg

What is your timetable? are you going to drive the '70 before the transplant? If so Quaden Mopar show in Ocauchee June 4 then take the same day to the Graduation Car Show in Jefferson. My '70 Fury III ex-squad is below not to far away from you. Good Luck.
100_0226_resized.JPG

Really cool! It should be one of the fastest C-bodies around when completed. You may want to consider the Firm Feel Suspension and Steering Kit $4K. I have a 1972 with a 560 HP Stroked 440 and new suspension that is dangerously close to becoming road reading after 20 months of revitalization - good luck with your project!! It should be a fun ride

What is your timetable? are you going to drive the '70 before the transplant? If so Quaden Mopar show in Ocauchee June 4 then take the same day to the Graduation Car Show in Jefferson. My '70 Fury III ex-squad is below not to far away from you. Good Luck.View attachment 124348
We will be out of town that weekend getting the Fury home. The transplant will happen very soon- after a couple 383 burnouts of course :thumbsup:.

We are about an hour plus from G.L. dragway and Byron dragway as well. We'll have to run the Hemi Fury to see what she does! It did go 10.50 in the Belvedere at 3200#, so my guess is around 11.50

Yeah, another one ends up in Wisconsin. I heard some poll results on the radion that said Wisconsing is third last state that appreciates the old car hobby. I could not find the poll on the internet to see the specifics. Well the positive is the local prices should be a bargain then. Between me and my three friends we have almost 70 cars in my state.

The Fitech EFI just came in. Rated for 800hp, should work. We are also calling up Dick @ Firm Feel for the 1.12 T-bars and 1-1/8 sway bar. Wondering what size tire to go with for the fronts? Thinking 245/60/15.
Another score was the original paisley fabric for the bucket seats! The grocery list continues, stay tuned!

How do you feel about some big, beefy blackwalls on black steelies with dog dishes? Kind of more appropriate for a Hemi car.

I'm trying to keep as much weight off the nose "as possible" by using aluminum parts wherever I can- wheels. I might look at plain aluminum wheels with dogdishs and powdercoat them black. I DO like the look and might play well with the "theme"/ sleeper. :steering:

yes it has the vinyl roof, but when it was repainted (black) the previous owner put the "correct" mopar gator grain black top on in stead of the G.C. paisley brown. I kind of like the black top- it breaks up the mass of black paint. More & more thinking of black plain rims w/ chrome lugs!

Back