70 Hemi Challenger

You know, considering that somebody had enough money to buy that car in the first place, apparently went into that deal with their eyes open and brain engaged, with a purpose, I find it hard to use the word "scam". Not unlike when the PT Cruiser first came out and demand outstripped supply, where one Dodge dealer had a used one (possibly from an initial stint with a Chrysler-partnered rental car company), that had a USED price higher than the MSRP on the car to start with. Then those buyers claimed they were "taken" by the dealers. IF they'd felt that way, they should have not bought the car, but waited a bit longer to buy one. BTAIM

In many respects, the car ITSELF is most probably a "1 of 5" (or less) car, due to the particular mix of options, color, normal attrition, and the HEMI engine. THAT makes it worth a lot of money, period. Look at what the other restored Mopar HEMI cars went for at that auction, then YOU judge. But what makes that particular car possibly worth MORE money is its history and the fact it is still in the same family AND still is together. Not to forget the Historic Vehicle certification it got a few years ago, when its history was revealed. And apparently THAT certification is quite prestigious, from a group I'd never heard of prior to that certification.

So . . . is all of that prior history and the certification worth possibly another $500K? Maybe not, but then consider that THAT car is probably the only known survivor of active street racing and all of that, then that MIGHT count for something, but NOT to everybody. AND all of that verifiable history will always stay with the car, no matter what. Might be a better investment than a non-fungible token!

I hope it has found a forever and loving home! Do we know who the buyer is?

Comparatively, I can see that $1M+ price for the Ghost better than what was paid for that gold Olds concept car (similar to the early Corvette) several years ago. After a bidding war to put it in a new car museum. Seems like that car ended at about $3M when the dust settled?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Just watched a YouTube video on that car. I watched it via a link from another forum, then by Googling "Black Ghost YouTube". There were some things mentioned in the video which make the car more significant in the collector car world. Think $1.012M is too much money? What about the E-body HEMI convertible which sold for $3.5M at Mecum? PLUS the fact the Shaker Hood was not on Challengers when he ordered the car (only on 'Cudas), but he sued the dealership to get one. After that, the Shaker Hood came standard on HEMI Challengers.

Back then, when somebody wanted a HEMI car, it was about going fast and quickly, so only a few "comfort options" were usually ordered. This car is not that way. Although the 4.10 rear axle ratio does help the "go fast, go quick" orientation. Otherwise, less the hood emblems, the car looks like a "normal" Challenger.

What makes THIS car special is the story of it's existence all these years. It's street presence and the respect it earned from the owner's friends and competitors. Those things might not count for much on an auction block, BUT they are priceless. Watching that video made me smile at what Chrysler accomplished back then and also happy tears that THAT car has such a rich legacy with the owner's family. Much less on the streets of Detroit, near where the car was built. And, of course, the fact it was special-ordered rather than sitting on a dealer's lot. A very interesting car, even without the owner's story and competition history.

After watching that video, I have no real motivation to watch Uncle Tony's video. Perhaps I believe what I want to believe? Maybe. Or perhaps I liked what I saw in the Black Ghost video and desire all of those good memories of that video instead? My choice. Just as it was Uncle Tony's choice to use the word "scam", for whatever reason.

Considering that I got out of high school in 1970, that meant I was paying attention to drag racing and NASCAR in 1962 and later. Just when the horsepower wars were starting to get good. Ford and their 427 was winning NASCAR races big-time . . . until Richard Petty appeared in his HEMI Plymouth. Ford didn't have a chance, much less Chevy, after that. Add to that that I liked Challengers better than 'Cudas, back then, and The Black Ghost is even more significant.

All in all, I feel that video was done very well.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Pretty much yeah. Uncle Tony posted this video today......

HOME - Full View Productions

Honestly, I've been waiting for something like this to pop up.

IMHO, it was pretty obvious that the car isn't/wasn't the serious street racer that was claimed. I've seen those cars... This wasn't one... I'd also never heard of it.

In watching Uncle Tony's video, I learned that the original owner was a cop. IMHO, that would have not let him into the scene at all. Those guys played serious and the cars were often financed by drug sales. I remember being in a friend's shop where he was building a serious street racer and the guy paid him in tens and twenties that he kept in a roll in a leather camera lens case. Just rolled off what he was paying and put the rest back.... And that was in Syracuse, not Detroit or NYC where it was much more serious.

IMO, the only people getting scammed are the buyers and sellers at these auctions, even if money is no object.
The commission on the sale of the Black Ghost alone, would buy a house in many neighborhoods.
Auctioneers prey on vulnerability of the seller and buyers at the same time.
On the other hand, I don't believe the general public would ever find the car of their dreams outside of the auction houses that do the volume such as Mecum, Barrett Jackson, etc., but the fees they charge are obscene.
Not against making a buck, but these guys are at a completely different level, and unless you've got deep deep pockets, you're out.

Back