70 Newport sedan long gone

MonacoBlue

Reaction score
I had a ‘70 Newport sedan in college. Light Blue. 383 2bbl.

Tonight I found the insurance card for it. I have the VIN and thought I’d post it. I don’t think it survived the crusher into the 1990’s. I saw it parked at a gas station along the Ohio River near St. Mary’s, WV around 1989.

Here’s the VIN:

CE41LOC119581

I don’t know if that can be decoded for anything or not

It had a GoldTone AM radio
Fabric seat surfaces, probably a mid-grade “brocade”
2bbl 383
A/C
Bullet style hubcaps
Lower body aluminum trim along rocker panels
Manual crank windows
I don’t think it had cruise control

Just wanted to make a note of this car for posterity’s sake. It served me well in school. Solid 15 mpg. I think it had Sure-Grip axle. It could take the steep snowy hills in winter with no problem. I was amazed. Just drive carefully, point and shoot… like a Polaroid camera. It was a real trooper. I once got…9 people? in it.

I had a ‘70 Newport sedan in college. Light Blue. 383 2bbl.

Tonight I found the insurance card for it. I have the VIN and thought I’d post it. I don’t think it survived the crusher into the 1990’s. I saw it parked at a gas station along the Ohio River near St. Mary’s, WV around 1989.

Here’s the VIN:

CE41LOC119581

I don’t know if that can be decoded for anything or not

It had a GoldTone AM radio
Fabric seat surfaces, probably a mid-grade “brocade”
2bbl 383
A/C
Bullet style hubcaps
Lower body aluminum trim along rocker panels
Manual crank windows
I don’t think it had cruise control

Just wanted to make a note of this car for posterity’s sake. It served me well in school. Solid 15 mpg. I think it had Sure-Grip axle. It could take the steep snowy hills in winter with no problem. I was amazed. Just drive carefully, point and shoot… like a Polaroid camera. It was a real trooper. I once got…9 people? in it.
Thank you for posting about this Newport 4dr post sedan. My guess from your description is that CE41LOC119581 sported EB3 paint with the E1B3 cloth-and-vinyl bench. H51 A/C (as I would not expect the car to have AutoTemp).

Do you have any photos left of the car?

We gave $700 for the car in summer 1983. My dad even had it re-painted for me. You look back with gratitude on the things your folks did for you. As an adult, I appreciate that meant time he spent working, earning a paycheck to pay for it.

@amazinblue82 —did that 440 Newport ever pop up on your radar?

naw chief .. never did see it

map 7A.png
map 7A.png

map 7A.png

my monitoring skills -- eg.. scraping the internet -- are rather primitive vs yours @ayilar and others here. hence my ask for a little FCBO crowd-sourcing help for an A67, '70 Newp.

If something's out there, and still exists (running or not), somebody here is gonna see (saw) it.

anyway, IF built with a 440, and as a four door "sedan" vs "hardtop (no post), first it likely isnt an A67 car, second no evidence of "Newport 440" badge (pentastar looks painted over though), and third (i adjusted photo) no readily identifiable evidence of dual exhaust (it could be there, or long gone over the years) .

That said, the 440 woulda been "U" code -- if we are to believe factory offering materials represent 100% of what came out of the factory (we all know of exceptions). I would be on it for that engine code feature alone

All things considered, I'd a got eyes on it and tried to buy it the day I saw it. Alas I did not see it, and this ad has no "numbers" (VIN, option tag, etc) to help confirm it.

Maybe somebody knows about this car above and could give any of us interested what it actually was?

naw chief .. never did see it
(...)
Maybe somebody knows about this car above and could give any of us interested what it actually was?
There was a thread about it back in Jan. 2021 -- see here:

Hopefully someone remembers that car. I do not.

then i clearly missed it.

Jan 2021 I was up to my a** in pandemic alligators. trying not to get it, trying to run a company when everybody had it...

Would seem to me that would have been a rare factory combo, plain Jane Newport with a 440. I suspect the majority were 383’s w/2bbl, like mine. I actually had to dig around to do a search to find that ad. Somewhat obscure.

I have those on my Polara and my Dart, came in cars with A/C no matter the code.

AirTemp was Chryslers name for their air conditioning system, AutoTemp is the awesome mess they created for the 1968 model year cars.

Last edited:
Back