70 SF window channel repair

70Tom

Reaction score
So, I've completed the necessary repairs in my rear window channel. This included treating some surface rust, cutting out heavy rust where there were holes straight through, and welding in new metal.

I have started the windshield lower channel. There was one hole straight through in the driver's side corner which I have treated and welded in new metal.

There are 2 other small areas in the windshield channel that had some rot. Pics are below. There was some rot through the upper layer of metal but did not rot through either section. It's plenty solid. Seeing as not one is going to see this area, I'm thinking of applying a light later of filler to smooth it out and then seal appropriately. I'm using satin Eastwood Chassis Black so there's some strong paint in the channels.

Here's some pics.

GetFileAttachment-4.jpg
GetFileAttachment-2.jpg

Last edited:
Here's some pics of me doing some finish grinding on welds in the rear channel. Both corners had huge holes in them. In all, I think I had to weld in metal in 6 different sections, all told about 2 feet of channel. Some rot was in the section on which the window lies, some was in the section facing the trunk. There was even a good 1" by 2" section of the panel between the window and the deck lid that needed to be cut out and new metal welded in. Window/windshield had never been out of the car. I guess that's what happens.

Pre then post repairs.

IMG_6903.JPG
GetFileAttachment-5.jpg
GetFileAttachment-6.jpg
GetFileAttachment-7.jpg

Back