WANTED 71 C body windshield washer resevoir

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other option is you buy a generic washer bottle on eBay (or somewhere else) for $20 to get you through inspection while you search for the "correct"

And you get something like this:
100_3095.JPG

Here also for inspection...I got mine from Ali E :eek:

So what happens if you have an earlier car that never had washers? They were optional on my '65 Barracuda and my car never had them.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to post replies, as even in the same threads, the same issue just pops up again and again. Why not read the entire posts before commenting anything? Its really not that hard!! Then we wouldn't have to have Stan offer to make a spreadsheet!
Dear, saforward look, You have made reference to a Mr. Bob Baker.., as a reproduction parts manufacturer in one of your past comments. Can you tell us more about him? Would a concerted campaign of lobbying from the rest of us help sway his thinking about producing the 3431154 reservoir? If you think this would be a possibility, would you please tell us how to contact him? Thanks, Not Right..............and not here most of the time! Busytime for trucking, right now.

Dear, saforward look, You have made reference to a Mr. Bob Baker.., as a reproduction parts manufacturer in one of your past comments. Can you tell us more about him? Would a concerted campaign of lobbying from the rest of us help sway his thinking about producing the 3431154 reservoir? If you think this would be a possibility, would you please tell us how to contact him? Thanks, Not Right..............and not here most of the time! Busytime for trucking, right now.

The problem with that bottle is all the Chrysler lettering embossed in it. That means working with Chrysler for the rights to reproduce it and giving them some profit.
The other problem Bob is having is that he has put a lot of investment in reproducing all these parts for C bodies only and no one is buying. Just a lot of talk. So his willingness to reproduce more items is low at this point.
In the C body world, there are a lot of dreamers who don't support the cause, to our overall detriment.

The problem with that bottle is all the Chrysler lettering embossed in it. That means working with Chrysler for the rights to reproduce it and giving them some profit.
The other problem Bob is having is that he has put a lot of investment in reproducing all these parts for C bodies only and no one is buying. Just a lot of talk. So his willingness to reproduce more items is low at this point.
In the C body world, there are a lot of dreamers who don't support the cause, to our overall detriment.
You know... I read on this site so many times "We need them to reproduce ______ " and when it comes right down to it, the market for that part is so limited that no businessman in his right mind will invest in the tooling and inventory.

You know... I read on this site so many times "We need them to reproduce ______ " and when it comes right down to it, the market for that part is so limited that no businessman in his right mind will invest in the tooling and inventory.

I do agree with you, but given the choices of parts Bob has made for reproduction, and his reasonable prices, it would only take some 20 - 25 orders of a part to break even. But there are not even that many buyers in C bodies apparently. I can only guess C body guys are maxed out on spending like most of the middle class these days in the U.S. Many of Bob's orders come from overseas, thankfully.

I do agree with you, but given the choices of parts Bob has made for reproduction, and his reasonable prices, it would only take some 20 - 25 orders of a part to break even. But there are not even that many buyers in C bodies apparently. I can only guess C body guys are maxed out on spending like most of the middle class these days in the U.S. Many of Bob's orders come from overseas, thankfully.
Exactly, although I don't know as it's a "maxed out on spending...middle class" thing. C Body guys are cheap to begin with and don't have that drive to have every detail "correct" for next weekend's car show. The correct date code on the voltage regulator isn't going to make the difference on bringing a $5 trophy home and they know it. They'll make do with what they have and go have some fun.

The overseas guys don't have the used parts market to draw from .. plus deeper pockets in some cases.

You know... The best analogy I can come up with is when a car comes on here that's either being parted or bound for the derby or crusher.

People jump up and down... "This car needs to be saved!!" they yell... and "It can be restored!!". Most of the time, no one steps up and buys the car so deserving of restoration. It might happen once in a while, but let's face it, most folks are dreamers with a limited budget and no time to devote to those cars.

Same with the repop requests. People want things like new sill plates, but when it comes down to it, they won't spend $175 and they'll polish up what they have.

Exactly, although I don't know as it's a "maxed out on spending...middle class" thing. C Body guys are cheap to begin with and don't have that drive to have every detail "correct" for next weekend's car show. The correct date code on the voltage regulator isn't going to make the difference on bringing a $5 trophy home and they know it. They'll make do with what they have and go have some fun.

The overseas guys don't have the used parts market to draw from .. plus deeper pockets in some cases.

Very well put John . . .

I am a numbers guy, I prefer the reproduction Mopar spark plug wires, voltage regulators, hoses, seat material . I want most of this stuff correct to the year . I have bought stuff from Bob, two sets of seat backs and side shields , one convertible rear seat speaker grille. I tried to buy a dash pad he had for me but it had a hole in it , he still has my core , I never did purchase the pad . I see guys buying stuff from him while at Carlisle , his table is busy when I am there .

You know... The best analogy I can come up with is when a car comes on here that's either being parted or bound for the derby or crusher.

People jump up and down... "This car needs to be saved!!" they yell... and "It can be restored!!". Most of the time, no one steps up and buys the car so deserving of restoration. It might happen once in a while, but let's face it, most folks are dreamers with a limited budget and no time to devote to those cars.

Same with the repop requests. People want things like new sill plates, but when it comes down to it, they won't spend $175 and they'll polish up what they have.

Really? I bought three sets from Murray last year alone.

I presume you are talking about the CBs or the 2500 club as I like to call them.

Really? I bought three sets from Murray last year alone.

I presume you are talking about the CBs or the 2500 club as I like to call them.

I think you may be the exception to all this... You (and some others) are really dedicated to making the cars right. I did my time making things "correct" with my A12 and my 300 isn't meant to be at that level of correctness. Witness the tan top. LOL! I'll match time and money spent to be upside down in resale value with just about anybody though... It's love of the car and the hobby.

But yea... The 2500 club is a good term.

I did the work. I jumped through all the flaming hoops to where I had to put up or shut up.
Roof Rail Weather stripping. 74-78 C-body Four-door Hardtop (ALL).
Made by Soft-Seal. $15,000.00 to do it.

So, should I have done it?

No, unless you don't mind losing a lot of money.

Bob Baker got a quote of $17000 to reproduce the early road wheel center caps by a Chinese manufacturer. That didn't fly either. Some said they would never buy anything made in China, and others just wouldn't pay enough for them to break even. So if you want a nice set, I guess the going rate is up to around $3K now if you can find any (besides the ones Fury Pursuit seems to have).

I did the work. I jumped through all the flaming hoops to where I had to put up or shut up.
Roof Rail Weather stripping. 74-78 C-body Four-door Hardtop (ALL).
Made by Soft-Seal. $15,000.00 to do it.

So, should I have done it?

Nope. The market isn't there, never will be.

No, unless you don't mind losing a lot of money.

Bob Baker got a quote of $17000 to reproduce the early road wheel center caps by a Chinese manufacturer. That didn't fly either. Some said they would never buy anything made in China, and others just wouldn't pay enough for them to break even. So if you want a nice set, I guess the going rate is up to around $3K now if you can find any (besides the ones Fury Pursuit seems to have).

Tooling costs are something that most people don't think about when the subject of repop parts comes up. First you have to reverse engineer the parts. Then you have to design and fabricate the tooling. This is where some of the repop parts fail miserably... Bad tooling equals bad parts. Bad parts equals "no sale".

An awful lot of reproduction parts are sourced from China. Where does everyone think the sheet metal for AMD is stamped? It sure isn't done in the USA. There is some stuff being made here, but (with some exceptions) that's stuff that can be easily tooled up and manufactured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back