'71 Monaco Brochure Pic

Greg B.

Reaction score
I was playing with scanning some photos today and sitting on the desk next to the scanner was my '71 Dodge brochure. Unfortunately most of the pics in it are too big for the glass on the scanner, but this one from the back cover fit fine. So here it is.

Dodge1a.jpg

Link to the full hi-res version (1.3MB) is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ur3BZejEHGMkdva3ZBNnNoWTA/view?usp=sharing

Dodge1a.jpg

Interesting that you chose to show that model. I have a 71 Monaco that will match that one when fully restored. It is high in my queue. The only difference will be that mine would have road wheels. I love that color - very striking when seen in the flesh, and I am not usually a fan of green.

71 Monaco from Brochure.jpg

71 Monaco from Brochure.jpg

I assume the pic that one of us posted is a retouched version to add or remove the vinyl top. I wonder which is the original one?

Also,I hope @saforwardlook gets a better paint match on the LF fender than the factory did. :)

They are both original pictures from the brochure, and apparently different cars (I have the brochure). I think the photo itself though on Fuselage.DE has been retouched a bit since the photo in the brochure is across two full pages, and the parting line for the pages is right at the front door leading edge, which makes the paint look different, but in the brochure, it clearly is not different. I posted the one with the vinyl top because I prefer the vinyl top and the black bucket seat interior that is really upscale looking.............

71 Monaco Interior from Brochure.jpg

71 Monaco Interior from Brochure.jpg

Crazy, I was just looking at my '71 brochure yesterday. I bought it years ago for the Challenger spread and never paid attention to the the "other half". I did notice the specs on available engines at the bottom. Wasn't Stan recently lamenting the lack of a slant 6 in the Polara?

image.jpg

Crazy, I was just looking at my '71 brochure yesterday. I bought it years ago for the Challenger spread and never paid attention to the the "other half". I did notice the specs on available engines at the bottom. Wasn't Stan recently lamenting the lack of a slant 6 in the Polara?

Yes, and he was corrected ......

The picture posted by @Greg B. is from the Canadian brochure. The one posted by @saforwardlook is from the US brochure. There are subtle badging differences -- no medallion on the Canadian car's quarter panel, and what seems to be extra badging on the trunk.

They are both original pictures from the brochure, and apparently different cars (I have the brochure). I think the photo itself though on Fuselage.DE has been retouched a bit since the photo in the brochure is across two full pages, and the parting line for the pages is right at the front door leading edge, which makes the paint look different, but in the brochure, it clearly is not different. I posted the one with the vinyl top because I prefer the vinyl top and the black bucket seat interior that is really upscale looking.............

Absolutely. The image is assembled from different scans because of the size of the printed image spreading across two pages. I tried to scan the images with settings so as to minimize any color differences in the results, albeit not always fully succeeding, no matter how much I tried. Also note that the printed image is across two different pages not printed on the same piece of paper (unless it is right in the middle of the brochure). So the color difference may already be in the print or the different aging of the different sheets of paper. This may very well create the illusion of a sloppily painted car used in the photograph.

Having said that, Mopar quality seems to have allowed slight color variations on one and the same car every now and then, especially in pilot cars used for those shootings.

This picture posted by @Greg B. is from the Canadian brochure.
That image is acutally on the back side of the U.S. brochure.

This is the one inside the Canadian brochure:
71dod_can_03b.jpg

There are two slightly different "car with man and dog" photos, one used on the back side of the U.S. brochure and one seen below, used on the cover of the Canadian brochure. Still I would think the cars are identical and not retouched.

71dod_ad02b.jpg

The one posted by @saforwardlook is from the US brochure. There are subtle badging differences -- no medallion on the Canadian car's quarter panel, and what seems to be extra badging on the trunk.

I would think that there were two green Monaco two-door hardtops present at the photo shooting, one with a black vinyl roof and one without vinyl roof. I don't think there are any differences in the cars visible between the images in the Canadian brochure and the U.S. brochure. Then again, they may have just escaped my eye so far.

I is a valid question, though, why the car with the vinyl top has a Monaco script and a medallion/crest/coat of arms on the quarter panel (not being a Brougham) whereas the non-vinyl-top car just has the Monaco script in that location.

Since we now know that both variants existed early on I support the position that this is not related to the date of assembly of the car.

Last edited:
Back