UNBREADED! '71 Monaco Wagon

Check out Champion Radiators. 22"-27" Radiators for Dodge Coronets | Champion Radiators
I've had their 26" aluminum radiator in my R/T over 10 years, never had an issue and stays cool.
I have a four row Champion that was in a 65 B body they couldn't get to cool, and bent the fan mount tabs so they are no longer 90° to the housing. Got it cheap, but I'm pretty sure I'll never use it. Their two row radiators are up to the challenge of most of our C bodies needs, and the three row will handle the rest.

Hopefully you'll get your wagon figured out. That way you can get over to Albert Lea for the Legion's 4th of July show. And I can see this beast in person.
It's nothing that a few parts can't fix, it's on the list for tomorrow.

I have off the 4th, haven't been to that show for a few years. Still going to holding down a chair at the Legion/VFW?

I have a four row Champion that was in a 65 B body they couldn't get to cool, and bent the fan mount tabs so they are no longer 90° to the housing. Got it cheap, but I'm pretty sure I'll never use it. Their two row radiators are up to the challenge of most of our C bodies needs, and the three row will handle the rest.
So the four row will fit a C-body?

So the four row will fit a C-body?
I think so, they use smaller rows to fit four of them in the case. I was going to put it in my Dart. I'll measure it and see if it's any different than the one in the wagon, and the radiator I pulled out of it.

I think so, they use smaller rows to fit four of them in the case. I was going to put it in my Dart. I'll measure it and see if it's any different than the one in the wagon, and the radiator I pulled out of it.
Thank you. Any pics you could share would be appreciated, showing hose location and transmission line orientation. I have a 9-passenger with 2nd row A/C. I’d like to cool it to the maximum.

It's nothing that a few parts can't fix, it's on the list for tomorrow.

I have off the 4th, haven't been to that show for a few years. Still going to holding down a chair at the Legion/VFW?
Of course I will be holding down the fort at the Legion. And if I can get there early enough I'll be parked right in front.:lol:

Thank you. Any pics you could share would be appreciated, showing hose location and transmission line orientation. I have a 9-passenger with 2nd row A/C. I’d like to cool it to the maximum.
PXL_20230610_010512738.jpg

PXL_20230610_010517703.jpg

PXL_20230610_010519693.jpg

PXL_20230610_010535031~2.jpg

Pretty much the same as stock for driver side lower hose. Transmission lines are the same, I did have to change out the fittings that came with the radiator, they were too small, I just swapped them for the ones off Cicada.

Aluminum two row tank measures 2 13/16" vs stock 3" tank, but 3443 953 is a three row assembly for '71 with A35 tow package and A/C. (I moved the overflow hose to measure, it's tucked back in)

Last edited:
Forgot to mention the studs for a shroud are close enough to factory at 25", that the slots will allow it to fit.

Forgot to mention the studs for a shroud are close enough to factory at 25", that the slots will allow it to fit.
Thanks a lot! Was going to ask about the shroud. No part number, huh? Looks pretty robust.

Looks like the idler arm may be the culprit of the slop. I'll swap it out tomorrow.

Swapped out the idler arm yesterday, replaced the tie rods today. Borrowed an air hammer and fork attachment from the local shop, the owners my neighbor, gotta love small towns.

Spent some time chilling with the dogs, so I pushed back the sway bar bushings.

Everything came apart nicely on the sway bar, but the links are crap. One is bent, and the other was missing the bushings and has been messed with before in its life.

PXL_20230615_111807363.jpg

PXL_20230615_112222045.jpg

PXL_20230615_112228086.jpg

PXL_20230615_112236911.jpg

I'll go out to the parts cars tomorrow morning and see if I can't harvest a good pair.

Got a pair off my Monaco 500 that's in storage, it's now a donor car!
PXL_20230617_150313580.jpg

PXL_20230617_150318862.jpg

Nice little work out moving all the sheet metal on the hood. Everything came apart nicely once again. Went and spent time with the dogs, bushings and bar will be installed tomorrow weather permitting.

After taking my sweet *** time, I finally got out to the garage and put the links on the sway bar, and put it back on the wagon. Had to do it twice because I didn't look to make sure I was doing it correctly. It was in and 80% tight when I decided to verify I was wrong with the FSM. A few minutes later and it was installed the way Ma Mopar intended.

PXL_20230815_003554812.jpg

I didn't clean it up one bit, that will happen when the engine comes out for a rebuild, it's going to need one. So for now that grease will protect all the surfaces it's covering. I'll see if it needs shocks after a test drive. But another thing off the list.

I posted this in the What are you doing to your C body today thread, but forgot to post here, so for posterity I'm posting now.

On the test drive after throwing parts at the front end, the slop is still there. I had driven around the neighborhood, and noticed a stumble when taking sharp turns, in either direction. Went from me going straight, but would fall on its face to the point of stalling. The steering seemed solid then, or so I thought. But when I went to put it in storage, it was loose as a goose. I'll have to look at the steering box in the spring.

Took it to it's winter home, and squeezed it in nice and tight.

PXL_20231107_045930453.jpg

I go check on the cars regularly, it's nice to stop by and say hello, I wish I could drive them year round, maybe when I win the lottery and have my winter house somewhere south of here!

Last edited:
Back