SOLD 71 SPORT FURY GT FACTORY SHOWCAR PROMO PROJECT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the color is holding it back. Then again, it could be all the rust and the high price .

But the price is now down to $4k. This color Gold, when in good condition really pops. I loved it on the 72 Fury wagon I used to own. With modern day paints, a little extra metallic and clear coat this would really look great with a black top and stripe IMHO.

I wonder which Mopar exec determined this is the color we want to paint the promo car....

Especially with all the beautiful colors that were available.

The 2 promos built were this gold one for the US and the same green and white combination as the sunroof GT car so many of us have drooled over. These were very popular colors in the latte 1960's and early 1970's along with brown and tan colors.

Look at the VIN - ends in 100266. Built 8/1 or 8/2 as I recall. As noted earlier in this thread, the second GT built, built right after the Canadian GT Promo car. They both came down the line together.

The 2 promos built were this gold one for the US and the same green and white combination as the sunroof GT car so many of us have drooled over. These were very popular colors in the latte 1960's and early 1970's along with brown and tan colors.

Look at the VIN - ends in 100266. Built 8/1 or 8/2 as I recall. As noted earlier in this thread, the second GT built, built right after the Canadian GT Promo car. They both came down the line together.

That must of been a sight to see.

But the price is now down to $4k. This color Gold, when in good condition really pops. I loved it on the 72 Fury wagon I used to own. With modern day paints, a little extra metallic and clear coat this would really look great with a black top and stripe IMHO.
I agree on the old / and modern paint comment. I think the car with this color combo would be stunning restored. I'm not in the market for a major project.

My question is Trev, How do we know they are the first and second ?

As I recall (and can verify) the sequence numbers on the two promo cars are consecutive and were both built on first day or two of August and they are the only two "T" code cars produced as they were built before the final decisions on engine availability etc. were made. The green GT Promo has IBM cards sewn into the fabric with instructions on where to sew the seams. I have photos of the fender tags on both and Dan did a lot of research on this issue.

Ah, pessimism...

What proof is available?

The build date, coding as promotional cars and the research Dan has done plus both being T code cars convinces me. Dan may have documentation. Perhaps I'll hire Galen some day.

NEVER SEEN ANY DOCUMENTATION FROM CHRYSLER ON PROMO OR SHOW CARS SADLY.. VON NUMBERS IDENTIFY THEM CLEARLY..SO NO QUESTION WHAT THEY ARE..WISH THEY HAD SHEETS.. GALEN MAY KNOW SOMETHING I DON'T...ODDITIES FOR SURE

Obviously they have lineage but to make the claim they ARE the first two built. That is not factual but rather an educated guess . That's all I'm saying .

Dave, What is your understanding of what date regular production of cars started for the '71 model year?

That doesn't matter Bill. Isn't it possible one was built before these two?

Based on my knowledge of production dates, no. Based on the dates built they were pre-production cars and if others were built before these two, they would have T code 440's. My recall is that the order dates were in July but I am away now and without my notes and photos of the fender tags.

802 was first day..801 were the pilot cars

Both T code '71 GT's were built on August 2, 1970. Sequence #100235 for the Green Canadian promo and 100266 for the Gold US promo. # 234 & 265 off the Belvedere assembly line.

my 2 black V codes were 150 units apart on the assy line sequence number.. vin 143370 and 144031

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back