71 Yorker, bedliner roof top install

DasBoot

Reaction score
Hey guys,

One of my main goals with the Yorker was to find an alternative to putting on another vinyl top. The original vinyl had trapped moisture causing rusting of the roof and window channel. Besides, the material to do a vinyl top was a few hundred dollars.

I'd settled on a product called Monstaliner. Since I live in eastern Washington state, it gets a ton of sun here so UV protection was of utmost importance. This stuff is UV proof and is guaranteed to resist chalking/fading for at least 5 years.

After taping off the trim and windows, my son rolled it on using the kit (not included) which has roller pads, frame, tape, etc. It was applied directly over the factory primer which was in good shape. I also had to use POR 15 up near the A pillar due to rust, and after scuffing it with some sandpaper, rolled the liner right over the POR. Worked just fine. He was able to do the entire roof twice using 2 quarts of the black Monstaliner. The comments I've received from neighbors and family are that it looks like a vinyl top.

Anyhow, here are the pix if anyone else is interested in how I did it. It doesn't have the "depth" that a vinyl top would have, but christ it was a ton cheaper. This project cost me about $140.00 including the quarts, and the roller kit. Tape and masking stuff was bought seprarately

Words of advice: If you do this, mask off the entire car with something (plastic, blankets) as the roller flings little flecks of the material everywhere if you roll too fast. In the last 2 pix in sunlight, you can see the hard water spots from after we washed the car the next day. This stuff rocks! Oh, and check out my sons mullet. He will be rocking that while driving the Yorker to school this year.

thanks for this post. more detail would be excellent.

I am about to do this exact same thing as soon as this rain moves out.
my roof is peeled, chrome removed, sanded out, and ready to por15 it.

ill tape off th whole car, what else went wrong ?? :)

If you push too hard on the roller, it looses little chunks from the roller pad. Not a big deal as they can be picked off either while it's still wet or after.

Buy a respirator. This **** has iso-cyanides that gas-off during application. Be sure to control fumes/vapors during and after application. Or if you're looking for a cheap high, do it without a respirator.

The kit comes with a little paintbrush for the spots between the drip rails and the roof. Load it with product and jam it down in there then roller over the brushmarks.

Make sure you wait between coats. It can't be tacky or wet. Some heat/fan will help speed the dry time of first coat.

I'd recommend getting a pole that screws onto the roller for additional reach. Start in the middle of the roof and work outwards, ending up at one drip rail. Then start in the middle of the other side of the roof and end up at that sides' drip rail. Get some MEK for when you get it on your skin. It comes off easy with MEK while wet. Oh and don't put MEK in a red solo cup with the paintbrush in it to soak the brush. The MEK will melt solo cups. Oops.

The rest of the install was simple. Just roll the **** on.

Could you detail the way you removed the trim ?
I've had bad experience on my Mercury since a "coach builder" dented all the aluminium trims while removing them.

The car is garaged....correct? Why worry about the rain and UV?

While not correct if it suits your needs....then ok I suppose but it is not my cup of T

You never know until you try, my hat's off to you for trying. Let's see a a pic of it outside from about 20'.

The trim is screwed on from inside the car. The only part that can be installed from the outside of the car is the part between the decklid and backlite. Everything else has a nut w/stud fastened from underneath.

The car isn't garaged. It's a daily driver.

20ft picture, and a closeup in the sun.

You'd need to take a close look to see the difference. Sweptline trucks also had the spray on crinkle finish on cab roofs from the factory as an option.

The only thing I'd do is try to knock the shine off of it. I think that would give it a closer to a vinyl top look.

Thanks for the compliments, gang.

Keep in mind my 16 year old son applied this. It's his car.

There are angles where you look at it and say "this is bedliner on the roof of a car" but other angles where even I am fooled into thinking its vinyl. I think once your eye follows the rear line of the C pillar viewed from the rear of the car, you can see it's paint. In other words, the bodylines can either magnify or minimize how you view the bedliner although the lighting/sunlight could play a part in that. I'm hoping the trim that covers the edge will put all that to rest.
BTW, I broke one of my trim pieces and need another: WANTED - 71 New Yorker side/trunk trim if anyone has one.

The shine is a good point. My son has been obsessive in shining/polishing everything he can on this car so I think he'll appreciate the shine for now. I'll keep everyone posted once summer hits and see if the sun bakes some of that shine out.

The only thing I wanted to do but didn't was make some kind of fake "seam" under the liner like a real vinyl car. I didn't want to use thick tape or anything since I wasn't sure if that'd affect the adhesion. If this thing had fake seams in it, It'd fool just about everyone. Only your hairdresser would know for sure.

Looks great, nice work!

I had consider that for my bus... not so sure for a car, but parking out doors wouldn't help vinyl much.

They have tons of colors, but yeah they may not have exact colors for our cars. It may be worth sending them an email to see if they can do custom colors. The president of the company ended up responding to my inquiries which was pretty cool.

As I said, the summers here are MURDER. Super hot sunny days all damn summer. I knew vinyl wouldn't hold up unless it received constant maintenance and in the end it'd be a losing battle. Plus it absorbs moisture eventually. Fixing all the rust caused by the vinyl was a true pain in the ***, costing me nearly a whole summer every day after work and weekends.

One other point I wanted to make: Since the roof is so big, you can only reach with the roller to the centerline of the roof. Getting an extension pole on the roller would have helped blend that "halfway mark" you see in one of the pix. We used one but only on the 2nd coat. That first coat is important to blend correctly.

Sure it's not factory correct, but protects better than what came from the factory. Is it for all C-bodies? Absolutely not. I think if you have a garage big enough to store your C body in, then go the vinyl route. I just wanted something cheap as possible, that looked the part, and would protect the metal. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Back