72 Fury Headlight Switch Rebuild or Replace

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
My 1972 Fury headlight switch has at least one internal short, may be more. There are cheap headlight switches like this one on eBay. Or I can try to find someone to rebuild mine, although I may have a junk aftermarket switch already. I know with my 1970 panel dimmer switch, it was no question that all the Chinese stuff was junk. I went for the rebuild. I just wonder, since this is a much more common pull knob headlight switch, if some company makes a quality one. Thanks for your help.
Headlight Switch Standard DS-165 | eBay
s-l1600.jpg

My 1972 Fury headlight switch has at least one internal short, may be more. There are cheap headlight switches like this one on eBay. Or I can try to find someone to rebuild mine, although I may have a junk aftermarket switch already. I know with my 1970 panel dimmer switch, it was no question that all the Chinese stuff was junk. I went for the rebuild. I just wonder, since this is a much more common pull knob headlight switch, if some company makes a quality one. Thanks for your help.
Headlight Switch Standard DS-165 | eBay
View attachment 165693

Try www.partsgeek.com They have them in Standard Electric which is usually a good brand.

Dave

Oh, source a NOS switch. After the crap I’ve gone through with aftermarket crap, you definitely don’t want to pull apart your dash again if you don’t have to. Totally worth finding a new Mopar part. Just use the FPM to find the part number and go from there.

Oh, source a NOS switch. After the crap I’ve gone through with aftermarket crap, you definitely don’t want to pull apart your dash again if you don’t have to. Totally worth finding a new Mopar part. Just use the FPM to find the part number and go from there.

This is a little off topic, but what did they figure out killed your repop turn signal switch?

Dave

I pulled the dash apart. I have one of the cheap aftermarket switches. The terminal I am pointing to with the pencil tip is open in my connector: no female spade terminal or wire. My 72 FSM does not show this terminal in the wiring diagram. Any idea what it's for? I'm going to replace with NOS, but just curious.
20180208_135354.jpg

20180207_152723.jpg

20180207_152804.jpg

20180207_141959.jpg

Many thanks, Gary. This one looks to have an extra terminal at a rear corner that is not on my connector. I'm going to play it safe (and pay more)

He needs part # 3514427.

Looks like B-bodies use the same part. And if you ever had to pull your dash apart more than once in a short span of time, you'd gladly go back and pay the extra for the OEM part the first time and be done with it.

NOS Mopar 1971-74 B-Body Head Light Switch | eBay

Agree, plus Chet Greenwood is a reliable source.
Thanks Polarus & 70Tom! I bought the 3514427 you referenced on ebay. Should arrive at my home 2/17 to 2/23. Lucky no one got it in the meantime. It also has that spade that's not used in my cluster. Could it be for cornering lights? My car does not have them.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

An Update
Headlight Wiring

· Test with headlight switch removed, bulkhead connector connected, dimmer switch connected, all 4 headlight connectors removed from the back of the bulbs.
· DMM: Clip black lead on battery negative and use red lead to test for continuity to ground. Previously I had continuity to ground across all 4 connectors for the high beam light circuit. With the headlight switch removed, I had no continuity to ground at any of the 4 connectors for the high beams. I still have no continuity to ground for the low beam side. By contrast, at the ground wire terminals of the 4 headlight connectors, LSO 0.3 ohms, LSI 0.8 ohms, RSI 0.3 ohms, RSO 0 .2 ohms.
· Conclusion: looks like the short was internal to the headlight switch, so it was right to buy a new one.

Installed 3514427. Worked Perfectly. No more blinking headlights, now if only I could figure out why this program is turning the picture up side down. To hell with it.

20180308_163831.jpg

Back