72 Newport now in Germany

That's just a good, simple, honest old Mopar. A part of me is sad to think it's 6000 miles away and we'll likely never cross paths. But when I look out on a typical southern US automotive landscape, (as I sit in a supermarket parking lot) I realize it's in a better place, in the hands of someone who appreciates it. Any of these people could have chosen it, but they bought generic Asian garbage instead. I'd gladly feed them all into a shredder and laugh like a maniac.

b91249cd-7c47-42e0-aa37-2c2a035cb142-jpeg.jpg

IMG_20181031_154421.jpg

A part of me is sad to think it's 6000 miles away and we'll likely never cross paths. But (...) I realize it's in a better place, in the hands of someone who appreciates it.

Agreed. Our FCBO friends from Germany and the Netherlands sure seem to be taking care of the cars superbly.

And as for not crossing their paths? Well, the same friends are kind enough to post tons of pictures of their cars here, taken in very nice settings and with artistic flair. In that sense, we do cross paths with them!

Agreed. Our FCBO friends from Germany and the Netherlands sure seem to be taking care of the cars superbly.

And as for not crossing their paths? Well, the same friends are kind enough to post tons of pictures of their cars here, taken in very nice settings and with artistic flair. In that sense, we do cross paths with them!

You know... you're correct. I've been to Germany before and I'd like to see more of Europe. I've often thought of timing a visit to attend one of these car meets.

If you are plans get tighter: Let me know and I gladly feed you with some idears for good shows around europe as I traveled to a lot of shows already

Carsten

If you are plans get tighter: Let me know and I gladly feed you with some idears for good shows around europe as I traveled to a lot of shows already

Carsten

Thanks for the offer Carsten! I'm looking forward to getting out next year and visiting some of them. We had a fantastic summer here this year and I'm hoping that 2019 might be the same!

Why would I leave the greatest country on the planet to see less? There is more beauty here than I can see in two lifetimes . No thank you , this is it for me.

Very nice Newport. I hope you enjoy it for many miles or kilometers. It seems like many nice c-bodies wind up in Europe.

Well I didn't import the car myself so I never met the previous owner. But he was the second owner and had had it since 76. It was located in York.
After crossing the Atlantic it had some work done to make it street legal for Europe (mainly lights and brakes) and all the documentation done for registration. I got it registered this month.
It's a Newport Custom with the 400 motor. A 72 model built on 19th August 1971.
So far I'm really liking it! :)

Here's another photo showing that she doesn't really fit under a standard European car port!! :)

View attachment 226457

Poor thing is going to freeze it's *** off this winter...

That's just a good, simple, honest old Mopar. A part of me is sad to think it's 6000 miles away and we'll likely never cross paths. But when I look out on a typical southern US automotive landscape, (as I sit in a supermarket parking lot) I realize it's in a better place, in the hands of someone who appreciates it. Any of these people could have chosen it, but they bought generic Asian garbage instead. I'd gladly feed them all into a shredder and laugh like a maniac.

View attachment 226507

View attachment 226505

Just not a very practical daily driver especially out where I live.

Wow! I don’t think I’ve ever seen fender skirts on a 72 Newport! I always wondered what the tabs were for on mine. I’d probably find a dozen road wheel centers & six washer jugs before finding those. Looking sweet. Congrats.

Winsen Luhe, welcome to the board from Bremen :D Stade is a must, looking forward to see you there, that color is one of my favorites on a fuselage.
I've watched the car on mobile.de for a while, wondering wether it needs lot of work, as the price was quite nice compared to many other offers on mobile.de

Wow! I don’t think I’ve ever seen fender skirts on a 72 Newport! (...) Looking sweet. Congrats.

that color is one of my favorites on a fuselage.

I swear. . . Ya just can't beat baby blue on a big car - especially with that dark vinyl top.

Yep -- the car simply looks great in that color combo, and the skirts give it a more formal appearance that perfectly complements the revised-for-1972 greenhouse. Enjoy!

Winsen Luhe, welcome to the board from Bremen :D Stade is a must, looking forward to see you there, that color is one of my favorites on a fuselage.
I've watched the car on mobile.de for a while, wondering wether it needs lot of work, as the price was quite nice compared to many other offers on mobile.de

Moin Bremen! :) . Yep, I've had a look at the Web Site for Stade and it looks great. Looking forward to meeting up. I'll probably feel a bit self conscious about parking my car among all those pricey E and B bodies but I can compensate with bulk! :)
I don't think the car really "needs" any work, but if you go looking you will always find! There's a little rust on the trunk floor that I'll take care of (but not too bad) and I've ordered a transmission pan seal as it was dripping a bit. But I can't see anything big (touch wood).

Last edited:
I used to ride in one just like this in high school for lunch. My friend John had it and we would pack 10 of us into it. Good times.

Well I didn't import the car myself so I never met the previous owner. But he was the second owner and had had it since 76. It was located in York.
After crossing the Atlantic it had some work done to make it street legal for Europe (mainly lights and brakes) and all the documentation done for registration. I got it registered this month.
It's a Newport Custom with the 400 motor. A 72 model built on 19th August 1971.
So far I'm really liking it! :)

Here's another photo showing that she doesn't really fit under a standard European car port!! :)

View attachment 226457

This Newport is gorgeous! How many options does it have?

This Newport is gorgeous! How many options does it have?

Thanks very much! I think the photos look better than the reality to be honest, but it's good enough for what I want and hasn't been messed with. It hasn't got a lot of options, but that's fine for me. If it isn't there, it can't break! :)
These are the options on the fender tag:

E63: 400-2 Barrel
D34: TorqueFlite Automatic Transmission
HB1: Paint Code: Light Blue
D3B8: D = Deluxe, 3 = Cloth and Vinyl Split Bench w/ Center Armrest, B8 = Dark Blue
V1B: Full Vinyl Top - Blue
H51: Single Air /w Heater
R35: AM / FM Multiplex Stereo
L31: Hood / Fender Mount Turn Signal
M45: Fender Skirts
P41: Power Door Locks
V5B: Body Side Molding (B = Blue)
G11: Tinted Glass All
R32: Dual Rear Speakers

Back