72 Y9 Tawney Gold versus 73 Y9 Tahitian Gold

Moseman

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of pulling the front valence off my 72 and going to paint it with touch up paint and clear coat from automotivetouchup.com. I am having a tough job finding the 72 Tawney Gold Metallic Code Y9. However they have listed a Tahitian Gold Metallic Code Y9 for 73 model year. I am wondering how close these two are, or should I really push them to make a 72 Y9? They are checking to see if they can mix that paint color.

20180925_171516.jpg
20180926_120314.jpg

Mopar paint codes that keep the same code, Y9, for example will be the same across the model lines and often they will be used for several years. If you have the build sheet for the car, the first digit of the paint code on the sheet will give you the first year that color was used. FP6 for example uses the F as the year the color was first used = 1970. (Paint codes use the same letter designation as engine blocks etc) The formula for the paint will be the same in later years as paint code changes will be reflected with a new first year of use. Any time a paint mixture changes, there will be a new first digit. This sometimes gets confusing since a new color will have the specifics for its formula for the first year of use that will not appear in the subsequent data for later years of use. The important thing to remember is that the code, one established is the same formula no matter when or where it was used on the Mopar line. I can also tell you that the paints with lots of metal particulate in them can be very difficult to match due to the way the paint ages and differences in how the finish is applied.

Dave

Mopar paint codes that keep the same code, Y9, for example will be the same across the model lines and often they will be used for several years. If you have the build sheet for the car, the first digit of the paint code on the sheet will give you the first year that color was used. FP6 for example uses the F as the year the color was first used = 1970. (Paint codes use the same letter designation as engine blocks etc) The formula for the paint will be the same in later years as paint code changes will be reflected with a new first year of use. Any time a paint mixture changes, there will be a new first digit. This sometimes gets confusing since a new color will have the specifics for its formula for the first year of use that will not appear in the subsequent data for later years of use. The important thing to remember is that the code, one established is the same formula no matter when or where it was used on the Mopar line. I can also tell you that the paints with lots of metal particulate in them can be very difficult to match due to the way the paint ages and differences in how the finish is applied.

Dave
Dave, I understand about matching, that is why I think the valence is safe bet, as it is tucked down low and away from the body paint. The paint code on fender tag is a GY9, so first year 1971. Thanks, you are a mountain of good information!

20180926_104148.jpg

Okay, I am still confused. I looked up the Dupont paint codes for Y9 Tawney Gold and Y9 Tahitian Gold, and they are distinctly different, so in 1973 there were two different paint mixtures for Y9. I supposed that is consistent for Chrysler, but confusing to me.

72 Tawny Gold on the left is a little "greener". 73 Tahitian Gold on the right is a little more to the "gold" range to my eye.

Okay, I am still confused. I looked up the Dupont paint codes for Y9 Tawney Gold and Y9 Tahitian Gold, and they are distinctly different, so in 1973 there were two different paint mixtures for Y9. I supposed that is consistent for Chrysler, but confusing to me.

They are going to have a different year code at the start. They sometimes may have even called it the same color but the first year of use is still going to apply. The second '73 Y9 most likely was a new color for that year. In any case have them mix the one that is appropriate for your vehicle information. I am guessing that one is GY9 and the other is JY9, would probably need to see a build tag to verify for sure but the code on the paint chips suggest that is the case.. Try to find the '71 paint chip for GY9, I think you will find it is the same as what you have.

Dave

Last edited:

No...they are two different colors used in two different years.

GY9 is a different color than JY9. Therefore they have two different names and formulas.

Jolly Jokers example shows the difference plus you can see the chips are marked Jy9 and Gy9.

The color shade, in this case Y9, is only important when you add the letter code G or J in front of it. It puts the color into context.

Is there not a local paint store that can hand-match that color? Rather than getting it "mail order"??? Orig paint was "single stage" acrylic enamel, not BC/CC.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

im1973lebaron56242506.jpg

Tawny Gold has more greenish hue to it and Tahitian Gold has more brown.

Last edited:
Perhaps the more important number for the formula would be the 4 digit code under the sample in '72 GY9 was 2311 vs. JY9 is 2510.

Also I just noticed that on the '72 chart that Doc showed us, there is a JY9/2510. So the theory of the first letter being a first year of change is disproved.

I just noticed that on the '72 chart that Doc showed us, there is a JY9/2510. So the theory of the first letter being a first year of change is disproved.

The '73 chart is the one with JY9/2510. The code for 1972 is still 2311. This being said, here is the puzzle for me: in Doc's initial photo close-up, I see (HY-9) in the '72 chart, suggesting there was a variation from 1971 to 1972. Yet, (i) the fender tag is clearly listing GY9 and (ii) the "Auto/Truck/Fleet Paint Cross Reference" at PaintRef.com has only two codes for those 3 years, 2311 (starting in 1971) and 2510 (starting in 1972).

FWIW, the paint code

1971: 1971 Color Codes - Dodge Paint Cross-Reference
1972: 1972 Color Codes - Dodge Paint Cross-Reference
1973: 1973 Color Codes - Dodge Paint Cross-Reference

Thoughts?

PS: I have a personal interest in the answer, as Medina's original color is GY9 and, if I repaint it, it'll be in that color.

Last edited:
I would look for an older established paint and auto body, they should have all the codes you need to match your paint. I had no problem getting them for my 66 and a 2 stage is not an issue either. I am in Columbus, Ohio, if it takes you to go to a larger city it will be worth it.

Perhaps the more important number for the formula would be the 4 digit code under the sample in '72 GY9 was 2311 vs. JY9 is 2510.

Also I just noticed that on the '72 chart that Doc showed us, there is a JY9/2510. So the theory of the first letter being a first year of change is disproved.

First letter is the first year of use for that particular paint.

Dave

Back