727 damaged line. Which part is this?

jbooth35

Reaction score
Hey folks, finally got some time to look at the cause of the trans fluid puddling under the car. Seems this line melted again the exhaust. I must have not noticed and forgot to tie it back when replacing the exhaust. Can this part be bought? What options for replacement? 65 Polara

IMG_4569.jpg

Appreciate any help.

-Joe

IMG_4572.jpg

IMG_4570.jpg

Last edited:
That would be your park cable coming from the shifter.

There should not be fluid leaking from that melted spot. It is the rubber casing for the cable and as long as the metal part of the casing isn't damaged, it should be OK.

If the car still shifts into park correctly, wrap it with tape to keep it clean and call it a day. The cables are available, but not cheap.

Ok. I was thinking this line is mechanical in nature, but it is certainly full of fluid, as I can watch it drip out after wiping. Perhaps it has accumulated inside the sleeve and is leaking from where it connects to the transmission? I definitely need to replace rubber seals where I can as I’ve probably wiped a pint of oil off the floor.

What is the other line going into the transmission just a few inches back. Both feed into the shifting mechanism from the column? It is the other line seen in the 2nd photo above.

BC5364F1-3C06-4A08-8517-9DBAAD9CECEC.jpeg

What is the other line going into the transmission just a few inches back. Both feed into the shifting mechanism from the column? It is the other line seen in the 2nd photo above.

View attachment 549648
Speedometer cable. The other shifter cable is on the side.

Doesn't seem like there should be that much oil in the cable, but maybe I'm wrong.

Download a copy of the FSM for your car here: Service Manuals – MyMopar

Speedometer cable. The other shifter cable is on the side.

Doesn't seem like there should be that much oil in the cable, but maybe I'm wrong.

Download a copy of the FSM for your car here: Service Manuals – MyMopar
That site is missing the manual for 65 Dodge but I do have a paper copy which I just found again. Ok, looks like it is the Parking lock cable and gear shift control cable. I suppose I'll still see if I can find a parking lock cable. Turns out both mopars I've owned were 65's (Dart, and Polara) and they both had their 1 year oddities.

That site is missing the manual for 65 Dodge but I do have a paper copy which I just found again. Ok, looks like it is the Parking lock cable and gear shift control cable. I suppose I'll still see if I can find a parking lock cable. Turns out both mopars I've owned were 65's (Dart, and Polara) and they both had their 1 year oddities.
'65 Plymouth will be close enough. All mechanical stuff is the same.

I've read some people had good luck using dual wall heat shrink tubing over the hole. I'd use 4:1 dual wall (glue lined) heat shrink tubing in whatever diameter will go over the fitting on the end. Then best to use a heat gun to shrink it.

I've read some people had good luck using dual wall heat shrink tubing over the hole. I'd use 4:1 dual wall (glue lined) heat shrink tubing in whatever diameter will go over the fitting on the end. Then best to use a heat gun to shrink it.
I recently read the same thing over on B-bodies. Marine or electrical heat shrink with the adhesive. Others have also reported fluid in the line caused by a o-ring failure, so I'll pull most of these cables and look into getting all the o-rings replaced. I haven't really touched this transmission other than replacing the pan gasket and filter, and I think driving it the past 2 years after sitting for 30 has got all the seals weeping. If there was just complete oring/seal kit for sale I'd buy it.

Back