73 chrysler new yorker flasher

sidsnot

Reaction score
hi i am in uk,i have 73 chrysler new yorker brougham ,i am trying to put a set of amber flasher lights at the rear,having problems with wiring ,the green wire does the brake light and flasher,i cut the green wire and put the amber flasher to it ,all works fine till you put foot brake on then amber light comes on.so how can i get the flasher to work ,as i see it the green wire does brake and flasher.need to
73ChryslerB.JPG
do it for uk mot test thanks dave in uk any help please

I've never heard of this coming up with UK Mopars (or other old cars) before. Are you sure you need this?

Assuming that you do, I think the best way would be to run a completely separate circuit to the add on amber lights. You may be able to use the existing switch, but you will have to completely cut it off from the rear turn signal/stop light feeds.

I've never heard of this coming up with UK Mopars (or other old cars) before. Are you sure you need this?

Assuming that you do, I think the best way would be to run a completely separate circuit to the add on amber lights. You may be able to use the existing switch, but you will have to completely cut it off from the rear turn signal/stop light feeds.

It may be a little easier to give the brake lights the new dedicated circuit. Then the 4way and TS wouldn't need rewired... Unless you have some other lighting requirements to meet... like directional parking lights or rear fog light...

I agree with Big John... does your classic really need to be changed?

American vehicles
Q Do test stations have the discretion to pass historic American vehicles

Name: Pete Town: Southport

A
No - They do not American imports often have dual function lamps, where the indicators may be incorporated with the position lamps or stop lamps. This aspect of the test is covered in Inspection Manual IM, under Section 1.4 Direction Indicators and Hazard Warning Lamps and 1.2 Stop Lamps.

Section 1.4 states that Vehicles first used before 1 September 1965 may have direction indicators incorporated with stop lamps, or combined with front or rear position lamps, in which case front indicators may be white and rear indicators red.

Due to the age of the vehicle in question, it will fail the test unless the rear indicators are converted to amber. The legislative basis for this requirement is contained in the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 amended.

This is not the first time that our attention has been directed to red rear indicators on post-1965 American vehicles with a clear MOT test history. As we dont know what condition this vehicle was presented in previously, theres no telling whether a tester has missed anything but two wrongs dont make a right the presenter has been lucky in previous years but will have to accept that these will fail the MOT test in future.

American vehicles with red rear indicators, while not a common sight on British roads, are widespread enough that any tester not familiar with the requirements for direction indicators should be advised there is no exemption for any vehicle to have red rear indicators if it was first used on or after 1 September 1965.

OK, there's a little difference in semantics here. When you say "flashers", I thought of the emergency flashers and not the turn signals.

I would look at running a different circuit for the brake lights.

This has to come up before. Have you talked to any other American car owners over there?

Back