73 dodge polara custom VIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
The really important question is how many of these cars were made. Since they were a short time only the supply is no doubt very small. I know when I bought my car the seller was telling me he was getting calls for the wheel covers. He refused to sell anything separately off the car to anyone. Impressive since he was only 21 and thought he could get this car back to original condition for him to use. Then realized he was in over his head somewhat and decided to sell the car. I am the only person to actually drive out to see the car and talk in person.

Are there any codes on the fender tag that would hint to this edition ?

I got a question. I scored a mint dashpad for my polara vip resto out of Canada. It is gold in color and need it to be dyed black. I really want a pro job done on this and really don't want to take it to a local shop here. Any suggestions or has anyone had any luck with a company that does it?

You need PENETRATING dye and it really is a DIY job.
If you $end it out, all they will do i$ $pend five minutes $praying thi$ $tuff.
It's not voodoo.
Prep is 99% of the job. Buy the prep spray and adhesion promotor also listed in the Amazon page.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/vinyldye/

Available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP942-Vinyl-Black-Satin/dp/B000CPIN9S

can0010vinyldye.gif

Last edited:
Would you use that type of product to spray a package tray or is there a better option available to restore package trays?

VHT a good overall brand, any experiences with paint for hard plastic parts ?
Know a shop over here that has these in stock and think about giving a try.

Last edited:
Right, there was something about a plastic primer; last time I sprayed plastic must have been at least a decade. :)

I came across this post, and this “forum” while doing one of my many internet searches I do every now and then to try and find out more information about my 73 Polara that I call ‘Moonshine’. I was not aware of a VIP option but was told it was/might be call a Red-Line edition. I heard many different things about it over the years and from people at car shows would ‘argue’ over details about it. Some things I heard was about the reasons behind the vinyl roof was for more stability at higher speeds; it breaks up the air turbulence as it went up & over the roof. If this is fact I don’t know, but I do know that this car can handle 150mph speeds like an arrow. I’m an engineer and also know about arrow dynamics; the reason for the unusually long rear end and drop at the end of the truck is for better arrow dynamics. These C-bodies were known for their “fuselage” design also. Another argument with one Mopar fan was that my car did not come originally with such “shag carpeting” - this guy kept arguing that they did not sell them like that and that the original owner HAD TO OF changed it. I told this guy, this car is ORIGINAL, and only had 48,000 miles on it! The owner, an older man (who I was told by others who knew of him that he was a diamond cutter or collector), would have no reason in the world to have the seats removed and carpeting and have ‘shag’ installed and put back together’ there would be no sense in that. Other people would argue that I had to have restored it and bought “after-market” molding in order to get the ‘red’ rubber molding, arguing they never made such molding. Is there a way I can find out from the build sheet if this is in fact the “VIP” noted here? If anyone can help me to find out how many of these were made in black with the big block also would be greatly appreciated!!!

I have a long story about this car and how I came to buy it over 16 years ago; I will have to sit down and write the story so I can post it here; maybe it can be posted on the Polara section of this website? But for now I’ll just say I have a 73 Dodge Polara 2dr custom with a big block 400 now with 60606 miles in it. I have a long history with this car, and I would like to tell you about my love affair with it and how I use to see this car driving around when I was still a young kid riding my bike and would tell my buddy how I was going to own that car someday! For now, I see there was someone who would like to see some pictures of a black on black, and wanted to share some of mine. Needless to say, I get a LOT of attention with this car, from old ladies to young kids and nationalities of all kinds.
How do i post pictures? i'm new here (just registerd).

Last edited:
Beautiful beast............. So which wheels are the ones on it now? Looks like she is in amazing shape......

Beautiful beast............. So which wheels are the ones on it now? Looks like she is in amazing shape......

I have the aluminum slots on it now, but i like it better with the chrome stamped steel (Appliance); i had them on almost everything i owned (they were a remarkable make-over and made anything look cool or tough, even my buddies 90 ish ford ranger mini pickup). My brother gave me the rims not long after i had first started driving but i bought newer ones for the front (shown in the pictures) because they were getting pretty rusty. He used them on the back of his cars and kept the "real" back ones in the attic of his garage with huge old bold "flat slicks" on them. One day i asked him if i could use them and he got them down and said here, and gave me the front ones to. The original front rims were an inch wider/deeper than the ones in the picture-i bet they were look even better.

In the pictures with the chrome rims, the car sits stock in front and jacked up a little in the back using small add-a-coils clamped to the axles. I didn't like the ride so i took it out and lowerd the front end when i put on the slots, also used, bought at a local car show for $75. They're 15x7 & 15x9.

I want to buy new rims some day after i restore it. I'm thinking plain chrome reverse pattern wheels (no covers or moons) 15x8.5 front & 15X10 rear (same as in early pictures with the P295-50s). I always loved the old chrome reverse look. I want the chevy/ford style though, the Chrysler style those years were so flat and boring.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on that. So has anyone come up with fender tag or build sheet or other identifing features that say it's a VIP? (besides the roof badge, the red molding, the shag carpet and the wheels covers) I also noticed on my car, the two upper body mounts up front under the core support are red, not the bottom ones, just the top. Anyone else with a VIP notice this on theirs?

Bandit

Since we're on the subject, does anyone know where I can the right vinal for it? I am taking it off right now to fix the rust behind it on the rear roof piller at the joint - it was getting pretty bad. Also, my badges on the roof pillar are shot, does anyone know where a guy might get some?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back