73 Monaco wagon

What I got from SMS. I like it better than what Stock Interiors offered. Hoping they can dial in colors. In this photo it looks close to the brown swatch, but it is actually a pea soup green. I washed my old carpet piece and it's a bit wet still.

Carpet Swatch.jpg

I would bet the original is the brown. It looks like a typical fading of the color. I feel the SMS colors are dead on to the original colors.

As an aside, I went to Benny Buckner's Friday. Very briefly. I haven't done much posting here lately and I know it's off topic, but I think folks might like to see some classic Mopar color...

IMG_3668.JPG

IMG_3669.JPG

IMG_3670.JPG

IMG_3671.JPG

Went to the shop. The new dual exhaust idles nicely. When the accelerator pedal is pressed...it roars...in a good kind of way.

I may decide to get resonators later.

Ugh. Radiator needs replaced. Where is a good place (online) to get a three row radiator for a wagon with a '73 400 2bbl? Has transmission cooler connections. Would that be a 26" radiator? Sorry it may sound stupid for me to ask but my car is at the shop so I can't measure it quickly plus I don't want to get messed over with low quality aftermarket radiator...prefer US or Canadian made. Shop is ordering for me, if I don't give suggestions quick. Thanks in advance for speedy responses

If your wagon had a/c at least, it has a 26" radiator. All the regular aftermarket ones are junk. Get the one you have recored with a high efficiency (that means high fin density) core to keep it cool in the summer. Otherwise, it will run hot. If you don't spend $500 on it, it isn't any good. That is the short of it.

I looked through your whole thread looking for a engine compartment pic with your rad. If you could post one someone will be able to tell you what size radiator. Or the number on your broadcast sheet under rad, or the number on the top tank of your rad, maybe even the fender tag.

Dave

Here's a side view of radiator. I have been told it is a 3 row. Also here is the broadcast sheet, but it's hard to read. I made a post on it on another thread, and a gentleman de-coded it...."Let's See Some Wagons!", I believe.

FOTA63A.JPG

Monaco Broadcast Sheet.jpg

IMG_1907.JPG

From Bill Watson....

Trim code S8L3...?
The body and roof are JB9 - 1973 - Blue - Dark. It is also metallic.
Interior colour is HL4 - Parchment (1972 - yellow whites - mid shade)
E63 - 400-cid V8, 1-2 bbl, with N95 (Emission Control System - ECS)
D34 - Standard duty Torqueflite
S8L3 - Interior Trim -
S - Trim Grade - Sport
8 - Seat & Trim Style - 50/50 Vinyl Bench
L3 - Colour - Parchment
The "615" is the scheduled build date - June 15, 1973.

Options listed on the tag :
C58 - 50/50 bench seat
G11 - Tinted glass windows - all
H52 - Heater with dual control A/C
L21 - Cargo compartment lamp
N88- Auto speed control
N95 - Emission Control System - ECS
P44 - Power lock - tailgate
R11 - AM Music Master radio
Y14 - Sold car

PS, I attempted to go with a re-core of my existing, but shop said it had too many cracks in the top. Really looking for a specific site to buy one at, at this point. Unfortunately.

The 'incorrect' broadcast sheet (which is in better shape than the "correct" broadcast sheet that was stuck under the carpet at the factory) was tucked under the back seat cushion and shows what appears to be "5 5" for the RAD code.

Wrong Broadast RAD .jpg

What I got from SMS. I like it better than what Stock Interiors offered. Hoping they can dial in colors. In this photo it looks close to the brown swatch, but it is actually a pea soup green. I washed my old carpet piece and it's a bit wet still.

View attachment 159424
Got a 2nd sample set from SMS.

SMS matched my carpet color. It is 'F', as identified on the right top corner in the photo. I have a scrap of the original, the big piece in the photo, which was protected from the sun. To be fair, Stock Interiors got the color too. Their swatch is at the bottom of the photo. The problem is the colors have lightened (to a 'more green' shade) on my seat back and door panels.

Monaco Carpet swatches.jpg

Looking at getting a radiator from US Radiator. Checking on price and fitment.

I am keeping my old radiator. Maybe someday...

Sound deadening- any opinions on the subject on this site? Is there a thread already existing on this? Someone previously recommended Fat Max. I have heard of 'Boom Mat' and 'B-Quiet'.

Sound deadening- any opinions on the subject on this site? Is there a thread already existing on this? Someone previously recommended Fat Max. I have heard of 'Boom Mat' and 'B-Quiet'.
I used this stuff. Fat Mat "Rattle Trap"

RattleTrap 50 SqFt Car Audio Sound Deadener Super Stick Super Thick Formula | eBay

Regarding your carpet, Stock Interiors will be selling you an ACC carpet. From what I've read, all the auto carpets are coming from the same supplier so SMS and ACC are using the same materials. The question would be if SMS has the molds to form the carpet or if they are just selling formed carpet made by ACC.

IMHO, not to run down SMS, but Stock Interiors is probably going to be cheaper and faster. If it's likely the same product, sold by different vendors, the choice might be obvious.

There will always be a little variance in color from batch to batch, just as when the cars were new. Order extra yardage for your seat backs and doors at the same time.

I used this stuff. Fat Mat "Rattle Trap"

RattleTrap 50 SqFt Car Audio Sound Deadener Super Stick Super Thick Formula | eBay

Regarding your carpet, Stock Interiors will be selling you an ACC carpet. From what I've read, all the auto carpets are coming from the same supplier so SMS and ACC are using the same materials. The question would be if SMS has the molds to form the carpet or if they are just selling formed carpet made by ACC.

IMHO, not to run down SMS, but Stock Interiors is probably going to be cheaper and faster. If it's likely the same product, sold by different vendors, the choice might be obvious.

There will always be a little variance in color from batch to batch, just as when the cars were new. Order extra yardage for your seat backs and doors at the same time.
Hey thanks for the detailed response. Interestingly, the sample from Stock Interiors says "ACC 32" on the back. It's a wagon so there is carpet in the cargo floor area too. Wouldn't know how to replace the seat back and door kick panel stuff on my own, with confidence to know that it would look right. Maybe I can find a local auto upholstery shop in my region that has that knowledge. I'd want to know it would look correct (hem) around the edges, weave direction ok, etc. I'll dig a bit around my town, I know of two places within about 25 miles. Thanks again. Will check out the sound deadening stuff!

Had to get a new radiator. Drove it last night. Cooling seemed fine, we'll see what it does in the heat of summer. I think it was from either US Radiator or Classic Industries. Got a B-body Radiator. Had to make very slight mods to get it to fit. Kept my old radiator for 'someday'.

Back