73 Monaco wagon

What year is your Monaco wagon? "Received"...?...bequeathed, abandoned, donated, gifted, or...?

It's a 72, just had it transported to Illinois from WA state. Back a couple months ago it was for sale and kinda mocked on this forum because of the condition of the paint, but it's an above average solid body. I'm still searching for an easy way to post pictures, and once I do the plan is to start a thread. May I mention that your wagon is optioned beautifully, really love the color! And I enjoy seeing you post updates as you make progress, very cool :thumbsup:

It's a 72, just had it transported to Illinois from WA state. Back a couple months ago it was for sale and kinda mocked on this forum because of the condition of the paint, but it's an above average solid body. I'm still searching for an easy way to post pictures, and once I do the plan is to start a thread. May I mention that your wagon is optioned beautifully, really love the color! And I enjoy seeing you post updates as you make progress, very cool :thumbsup:
Thank you. I find myself wishing I could wave a magic wand and fix the little issues, but it really has come a long way. I've just had it a year. Did you get yours from Wildcat Mopars or an individual? I recall seeing one that was a Craigslisting that looked good. The western cars tend to rust from the top down, which is completely manageable. Looking forward to your pics! Send a message when you start your thread.

Yesterday I replaced the front door lock to match the ignition key. That wasn't too hard.

When I wash this car in the sunlight the blue is stunning when it's wet. It's just a great shade. I gotta get it painted. No turning back.

I like it when folks post photos of their cars on here. Just looking at a 72 gold Fury coupe. Very nice.

Your car is a very desirable color. I recall it sitting at Wildcat. I always wondered why she found her way there.

Your car is a very desirable color.
Very much agree, your wagon is a great color, although I'm a fan of the weathered look too. It would be a difficult decision for me to sand off the original paint. Regardless, more pictures of your wagon in this thread are needed :D

If I would have left the rust alone on the hood and gloss coated it, the roof and hood would have looked great, almost like images of the earth from satellites in space - really vivid orange and blue! But I know this car needs rust mitigation now on the surfaces, or it will be a problem later.

Very neat article! It appears to have all of the Dodge tailgate lettering in the last picture...too bad the taillights were damaged. Were you at the auction?

Ha! No way. Too far. Didn't know or care, in 2013. I just kept having this car pop up on internet searches. I would have loved to have seen the collection, some of the cars were in better shape than others, he 'protected' the more valuable specimens from the elements.

My car got Polara tail lights at Wildcat. I suspect some yahoo pushed the car with a beater truck when it sold at auction, to get it off the property.

I've only been able to research through pictures, but it appears the rear of a Polara wagon is identicle to a Monaco?

I've only been able to research through pictures, but it appears the rear of a Polara wagon is identicle to a Monaco?
I think you are correct. I am sure there was probably variation in different years. Fickle and capricious corporate product planners.

I'm coveting your "E".

I called Murray Park and no luck. Same with National Mopars. Murray found some "D's" by the way.

I will try to help you, none the less. The blind leading the blind, in search of vowels and consonants they both need. No C-body left behind. Or something like that.

I've actually gone so far as to take my kids fuschia colored play-doh, make an impression of a "D", then hack out a middle line and try to make a mold of an "E".

I'm that desperate.

(It actually looks pretty close! But I haven't thought enough about what material to use for the 'casting')

If I hear anything more I'll let you know.

PS Murray did say he had a complete set of letters...somewhere...but he lost track of it. Where's Indiana Jones when you need him.

I want to make sure people know I'm serious.

This photo was taken on a period correct 1960's Danish Modern wood laminate coffee table.

IMG_3928.JPG

I'd be willing to send you my "E" if you need to use it to make a mold...while I do intend to find and install the lettering, I'm not in a rush. Let me know and I'll ship it out right away...and thanks for the assistance!

Thanks for offering, I may take you up on it later if I graduate beyond the play doh! I'm just exhibiting my goofy sense of humor while I wait for something more interesting to write /post/photo share on this thread. I will try a little bit longer, ask a few more guys. Somewhere in this crazy world there is an "E" with my name on it.

I have a buddy who has a 3D printer. I wonder what kind of man hours it would take to draw a font-correct "E" in CAD. Ha ha.

I have a buddy who has a 3D printer.
That exactly what I had in mind, using a copy is good by my standards. Although I don't know anyone personally that has a printer, I intended to eventually look into the matter. Do you have a rough idea how much a project like this might cost? Then again, I'm not familiar with the going rate of the originals...do you mind if I asked what the prices were on the ones you recently purchased?

My my, it's an embarrassment to publicly admit what I paid! Oh, the price of C-body glory! I think after shipping I paid $78 on eBay for two "D's" from National Mopars out of Canada. Looks NOS though. Cha-Ching. (Insert meme of Sesame Street character holding the letter "D" here.)

Back