73 Monaco wagon

Here's some pics of my car that could help you. Let me know if you need any others. As you can see I went with a reman carb from Rock Auto...runs really good with it.

Dave
Thank you Dave! Was going to ask you for pics, glad you had some archived.

The carb will need to be adjusted. Just basic setting of the air/fuel screws. Turn all the way in...don't be forceful when they stop. Then back them out 1.5 turns each....that will get you close. The choke in the intake might be bad.....does it have any power/wires running to it, or is it just a simple thermatic spring? Sometimes they over center and just need to be wiggled and pushed back down.

Make sure you put a small cheap fram G2 inline fuel filter before the fuel pump, especially once you get the fuel line cleared up. I always run the clear ones, one before and after the fuel pump, you'd be surprised how much crud actually gets caught in that primary filter. I'd toss more then 40lbs air pressure at the fuel line. Leave the gas cap off, then charge the compressor and hook it up and blast it through. Might take a few cycles....air/no air/air....to get it to free up.

My 68 T/C wagon was from the high desert of Yakima WA, and had a blocked fuel line.....I did as I mentioned above and it has been working great for many years.
I have put some Seafoam in it with a funnel and tube. Was thinking of re-routing the mechanical fuel pump flow to push gas, backwards, back thru the line and into the tank, while I cranked on the starter. I put Seafoam in the tank already and I had run a rag on a stick around the tank prior to that, to see what the residue was. There was no rust, the walls of that tank were clean, it was a desert car too, just old deposits that I figured would dissolve in Seafoam and new gas.

I have put some Seafoam in it with a funnel and tube. Was thinking of re-routing the mechanical fuel pump flow to push gas, backwards, back thru the line and into the tank, while I cranked on the starter. I put Seafoam in the tank already and I had run a rag on a stick around the tank prior to that, to see what the residue was. There was no rust, the walls of that tank were clean, it was a desert car too, just old deposits that I figured would dissolve in Seafoam and new gas.
Also, I left those screws at 1.5 turns, the way it was before I cleaned them.

FOT5DC4.JPG

FOT736.JPG

A couple updates. Life happens so I haven't been working on the car as I would like but I have made some progress. First, the car MOVES. And by that I mean, the transmission enables it to go both forward and backward.That is huge to me, because who knows how long this thing has sat. Second, the rear wagon window switch is now operating. Another unexpected win. I am running the car from a 1 gallon plastic gas can so, the obvious next project is the gas tank. Not looking forward to that. However, now that I have been able to move the car (it was nice to roll it out from under carport cover for the first time since February and wash it in daylight & open the doors for some fresh air!), it is now in a position where I can access the tank side of the car and do the thing that needs done. I think this is one of those projects that will have to be done in phases. PS I tried blowing out the lines with compressed air and it did not clear out the problem. Sometimes you just have to do the hard job. To anyone bothering to follow this thread, thanks for reading.

To remove the tank, you will need to drain it and then jack up the rear of the car and put it on jackstands ahead of the rear wheels, remove the left rear wheel, remove the shield in front of the tank that is in the driver rear quarter panel, remove the lower end of the shock absorber on that side by jacking up the diff with a floor jack and remove the rear driver side leaf spring front shackle from the body (4 bolts/ 9/16" wrench) and let the front of the leaf spring drop as far as it can using the floor jack to control the drop (don't let it drop so much though so as to stretch the rubber brake line hose any significant amount), remove the lines to the fuel tank sending unit and vent, remove the two strap bolts to release the tank and then slide the tank forward and out of the rear quarter. It is a very tight squeeze, and you have to wonder how they were able to manage such a tight fit in the first place, but with patience, it can be done.

My 73 Monaco wagon had the wrong tank in it (it was from a B body Crestwood wagon) so I had to use my last NOS wagon fuel tank for these models (I enclosed a couple photos below of the new tank) and had to install a new sending unit. A photo of my wagon is attached too. These are great vehicles. I have to believe Chrysler Corp lost a lot of money on each one they built given their relatively low volume and the complexity and uniqueness of all the parts specific to this particular body style.

It was a perfect day this mother's day to do the changeover, so I included a photo of that as well.
2004-01-01 00.00.18-1.jpg
2004-01-01 00.01.00.jpg
2004-01-01 00.00.47.jpg
2004-01-01 00.00.37.jpg

Last edited:
To remove the tank, you will need to drain it and then jack up the rear of the car and put it on jackstands ahead of the rear wheels, remove the left rear wheel, remove the shield in front of the tank that is in the driver rear quarter panel, remove the lower end of the shock absorber on that side by jacking up the diff with a floor jack and remove the rear driver side leaf spring front shackle from the body (4 bolts/ 9/16" wrench) and let the front of the leaf spring drop as far as it can using the floor jack to control the drop (don't let it drop so much though so as to stretch the rubber brake line hose any significant amount), remove the lines to the fuel tank sending unit and vent, remove the two strap bolts to release the tank and then slide the tank forward and out of the rear quarter. It is a very tight squeeze, and you have to wonder how they were able to manage such a tight fit in the first place, but with patience, it can be done.

My 73 Monaco wagon had the wrong tank in it (it was from a B body Crestwood wagon) so I had to use my last NOS wagon fuel tank for these models (I enclosed a couple photos below of the new tank) and had to install a new sending unit. A photo of my wagon is attached too. These are great vehicles. I have to believe Chrysler Corp lost a lot of money on each one they built given their relatively low volume and the complexity and uniqueness of all the parts specific to this particular body style.

It was a perfect day this mother's day to do the changeover, so I included a photo of that as well.
View attachment 124684 View attachment 124685 View attachment 124686 View attachment 124687
Wow that is inspirational. That is a beautiful/unique/rare car. The thing that is a bit discouraging for me is that the car does indeed have unique plastic and rubber pieces that I fear are practically irreplaceable (grille, cargo area plastic panels, rear bumper step ups). Nonetheless I am going to continue to work to get mine roadworthy. Keeping a car like this in a dry climate has no doubt been a big help in your case. Thanks for sharing the pics and instructions!

Wow that is inspirational. That is a beautiful/unique/rare car. The thing that is a bit discouraging for me is that the car does indeed have unique plastic and rubber pieces that I fear are practically irreplaceable (grille, cargo area plastic panels, rear bumper step ups). Nonetheless I am going to continue to work to get mine roadworthy. Keeping a car like this in a dry climate has no doubt been a big help in your case. Thanks for sharing the pics and instructions!
'Saforwardlook', do you have more pics posted of your car? I noticed the marker lamps are different? I am trying to learn as much as I can on these...

are you preparing it to let it go Steve?

Carsten

Well, yes I am. But too many friends seem to want that car, so what to do? :mob: Take offers, put it on ebay or ??? And to make things worse, now that I am cleaning it up and fixing the little things and actually driving it around, I am thinking "this is a really nice, smooth wagon with plenty of power (440 engine)", so what the heck am I thinking?" And where would I find another black on black wagon ever? Most people that visit my garage, and despite the nice cars in there, seem to mostly gravitate to this wagon or my Cuda? What gives!? :wideyed:

The unusualness of the car is probably the draw. I'd probably be interested in any color aside from green or white but still pulled to look at it

Well, yes I am. But too many friends seem to want that car, so what to do? :mob: Take offers, put it on ebay or ??? And to make things worse, now that I am cleaning it up and fixing the little things and actually driving it around, I am thinking "this is a really nice, smooth wagon with plenty of power (440 engine)", so what the heck am I thinking?" And where would I find another black on black wagon ever? Most people that visit my garage, and despite the nice cars in there, seem to mostly gravitate to this wagon or my Cuda? What gives!? :wideyed:

I know your feelings.
If I start to play again with a car my intentions to sell go down to zero usually.
So if I consider to sell a car I don't use it at all, don't look at it, do simply nothing.
That is the easiest way for me.

Only problem: If someone comes to look at it: it is probably dusty&unwashed and I can just hope that everything works in the same way as it did in the past.

Carsten

I know your feelings.
If I start to play again with a car my intentions to sell go down to zero usually.
So if I consider to sell a car I don't use it at all, don't look at it, do simply nothing.
That is the easiest way for me.

Only problem: If someone comes to look at it: it is probably dusty&unwashed and I can just hope that everything works in the same way as it did in the past.

Carsten

selling a car sucks. I have what I have because I wanted it. Letting it go hurts

Thanks for posting more pics so we can all drool. What a neat car. Its funny to me how I see it being like a dark chestnut brown in the pics...I guess it is the woodgrain trim playing tricks on my eyes. Now if we could get some interior and engine pics to complete the picture...I for one would appreciate it!!!

I would try and make room for that one!

Dave

Q: got a motor for the hide-a-way headlight drive. There is a two wire rubberized plug connector which is straightforward enough match to what is on my cars wire harness, but the tang on the motor (which appears to be for a female connector) doesn't appear to match the wire harness coming from my car. There is no female connector coming off my cars wire harness to match what is on the motor. Any insights? Photos attached.

IMG_2290.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

Back