73 Monaco wagon

Q: got a motor for the hide-a-way headlight drive. There is a two wire rubberized plug connector which is straightforward enough match to what is on my cars wire harness, but the tang on the motor (which appears to be for a female connector) doesn't appear to match the wire harness coming from my car. There is no female connector coming off my cars wire harness to match what is on the motor. Any insights? Photos attached.
Wait..,I think I figured it out. Old motor tang stuck in female connector of wiring harness...

Thanks for posting more pics so we can all drool. What a neat car. Its funny to me how I see it being like a dark chestnut brown in the pics...I guess it is the woodgrain trim playing tricks on my eyes. Now if we could get some interior and engine pics to complete the picture...I for one would appreciate it!!!

I would try and make room for that one!

Dave

Per your request (It isn't as clean as it ought to be yet, but here is where I am at currently):

2004-01-15 21.26.50.jpg
2004-01-15 21.27.34.jpg
2004-01-15 21.34.30.jpg
2004-01-15 21.24.36.jpg
2004-01-15 21.26.01.jpg
2004-01-13 22.25.57.jpg
2004-01-15 21.26.36.jpg
2004-01-13 22.25.44.jpg

Last edited:
Super nice, electric windows and a 440! The black on black is luxo! I love the overhead A/C unit in these. Mine may never be as nice as yours, but seeing that A/C unit in mine always makes me smile. Good old AirTemp....freeze a Mammoth. The A/C is another thing I will work on eventually. The blower motor at least works on the overhead unit, that was a joy when I first got a battery hooked up, flipped the switch and it powered right up (spewing dust everywhere).

Q:does the alternator needle typically stay in the middle of the gauge, when running? I am trying to determine if mine is charging ok. Maybe the gauge is broken.

Q:does the alternator needle typically stay in the middle of the gauge, when running? I am trying to determine if mine is charging ok. Maybe the gauge is broken.

Yes, in the middle. If you hit your breaks or turn the lights on you may see the gauge jump.

Can't find the drive shafts for the hideaway headlights. Left a message for Murray Parks. Have a motor, but it isn't connected to headlight covers. Does it have internal limit switch for up and down? Dave can you post pics please? Is motor limit some how adjustable or does it have a torque clutch?

IMG_2326.JPG
In the belly of the beast. And she is shiny. Still proudly brandishing a "United States Steel" stamp, no less.

Can't find the drive shafts for the hideaway headlights. Left a message for Murray Parks. Have a motor, but it isn't connected to headlight covers. Does it have internal limit switch for up and down? Dave can you post pics please? Is motor limit some how adjustable or does it have a torque clutch?

I don't have any pics handy...I cold try and take some in the next couple of days if nobody else has them.

Dave

I hope the inside of your fuel tank looks as nice as the outside, but unless you live in Arizona or the desert, seems unlikely from my experience. Those are tough to find nice inside anymore. On my 69 T & C wagon, I will need to have mine cleaned and coated on the inside too. It is marginal as it is, so I am hoping for the best.

I am not sure just how the limit switches work in those motors. But I might have the operating shaft for the headlights. I have quite a few of those, but they all differ in length among the various car models, and the part of the motors where they go through also differs in dimensions among the various models and even model years. So I am hoping you have your original motor and that it works, so that what I might find will actually work for you.

Yes, the port at the top of the fuel tank is for the evaporative emissions to be sent to the charcoal canister up front, where they would later be purged by the engine.

I waz going to respond to you privately Dave on your comment on this Blue W/ White plush interior '73 but your In box iz full so I'll wait 'til Carlisle, Jer

I remember you looking at that car Jer..... I thought she was a dead soldier. Thank god for guys like you two

I hope the inside of your fuel tank looks as nice as the outside, but unless you live in Arizona or the desert, seems unlikely from my experience. Those are tough to find nice inside anymore. On my 69 T & C wagon, I will need to have mine cleaned and coated on the inside too. It is marginal as it is, so I am hoping for the best.

I am not sure just how the limit switches work in those motors. But I might have the operating shaft for the headlights. I have quite a few of those, but they all differ in length among the various car models, and the part of the motors where they go through also differs in dimensions among the various models and even model years. So I am hoping you have your original motor and that it works, so that what I might find will actually work for you.

Yes, the port at the top of the fuel tank is for the evaporative emissions to be sent to the charcoal canister up front, where they would later be purged by the engine.

Well, getting it coated would certainly be a good thing, in the long run. I've been kicking around the idea of a non-factory fuel tank in another location in the body, or as a supplement. But that is more than I want to think about right now. What kind of coating do shops do? Trying to imagine a shop that can do that. Paint that is gasoline resistant? Galvanize? Wondering who would be willing to handle a used fuel tank, for fear of fire hazard. Totally understand the 'they just don't make these anymore' factor.

Well, getting it coated would certainly be a good thing, in the long run. I've been kicking around the idea of a non-factory fuel tank in another location in the body, or as a supplement. But that is more than I want to think about right now. What kind of coating do shops do? Trying to imagine a shop that can do that. Paint that is gasoline resistant? Galvanize? Wondering who would be willing to handle a used fuel tank, for fear of fire hazard. Totally understand the 'they just don't make these anymore' factor.

Out here in California, radiator shops usually perform this service as well as doing radiators, or at least are affiliated with the folks who do gas tanks. Don't know what they use for coatings and am wary of all of them, but what other options are there, besides having them install a drain plug and draining the fuel on a regular basis to prevent problems with the crap ethanol fuel that absorbs water. Hate it - worst idea of EPA's of all time and the corn lobby.

Back