73 Monaco wagon

I'm heading out this week to check out a wagon at a local (private) yard. This is the only reference I could find in the FSM.View attachment 336500
If you find a decent outer seal I will be amazed, they get the brunt of the weather... appreciate your willingness to look. I hope to get the two piece inner seals soon.

Attached the cleaned up lower chrome fender bezels today. Didn’t even notice their existence until I started tearing stuff down!

Got the bumper on today, that was easier than I thought it would be.

8684E336-890A-4B8C-B501-B293404F2937.jpeg

199C540E-8AF4-4671-97AD-85790DB2802C.jpeg

Scored two NOS rear step bumper pads from an eBay purchase from National Moparts, as a result of a tip from Polarus, a fellow FCBO’er.

I never thought I would find these... ever, or else only through a random find if by chance I would go to Carlisle, years from now.

Thanks very much Polarus, for the tip.

I am humbled by the help I have gotten from others for parts. Yes there have been $$$ transactions, but people have been generous with their time also, and very helpful. The passion and commitment to C-body restoration and maintenance has been fun to be a part of. Not just from FCBO but from a wider group of people on and off the internet. I am very appreciative of the support I have received and recognize that it makes the hobby that much more enjoyable when a person can help someone else out, through imparting knowledge or sharing a lead about where some parts can be found.

The middle step shows the “old” rubber.

Part #3686972

F1A5CA3E-6B3D-4455-BF19-3B646C1CF5D9.jpeg

Last edited:
Random thought: will future hobbyists make these cars “autonomous” with aftermarket computers, servo-motor driven steering, braking, and acceleration input controllers, and feedback-sensor kits?

What will J.C. Whitney of the year 2055 be selling...?

Seems like it would be a pity...

I used to work for corporate JCWhitney aka Warshawsky & Co....back in the day. Sadly, since about 2009ish.... It no longer exists.. except for the purchased name and the fulfillment center in central Illinois. Kids got greedy and sold the business.

I used to work for corporate JCWhitney aka Warshawsky & Co....back in the day. Sadly, since about 2009ish.... It no longer exists.. except for the purchased name and the fulfillment center in central Illinois. Kids got greedy and sold the business.
Now that is a shock. Funny how the kids like drawing a check from the parents business until they have to step up and take responsibility? Time to sell when that happens, too much work!

Now that is a shock. Funny how the kids like drawing a check from the parents business until they have to step up and take responsibility? Time to sell when that happens, too much work!
That's how the demise of Excelsior-Henderson happened, a father felt generous and gave the company to his boys. They bought houses and Escalades til they were broke, and sold the company after running out of money a year and a half later. Cash cow and they couldn't wait, needed instant gratification.

There were times when even presidents of large corporations felt a responsibility to their employees. We need to get back to that. No society or business can function long without shared goodwill.

have you tried contacting nigel directly about you tail gate seal? he has a lot more than what is listed on his website.
National Moparts

NOS inner tail gate seals. 2 piece seal.

Thanks for the tip, Polarus!

B666CB19-039D-4901-A0BC-3EE8EBC01692.jpeg

Got both the tailgate glass inner seals installed, all door handles and locks, and a new Hood latch pull cable. Cleaned the interior a bit too, now it smells fresh. Went for a drive after all that. Good feeling. This car is SUCH an interstate cruiser. I guess that’s the C-body sweet spot/wheel house/baileywick: long, flat, straight Interstate.

Last edited:
To Beep Beep Dave - it just occurred to me that the red Monaco wagon would be the perfect Canadian Snow Bird vehicle! Drive it down I95 to Florida for the winter in late October, drive it back up to Canada in late April!

To Beep Beep Dave - it just occurred to me that the red Monaco wagon would be the perfect Canadian Snow Bird vehicle! Drive it down I95 to Florida for the winter in late October, drive it back up to Canada in late April!

It's nice of you to think of me. I did find that Wagon a good home. The new owner has the gas tank fixed and is planning on driving it next year. I am looking forward to seeing it out and about.

Dave

It's nice of you to think of me. I did find that Wagon a good home. The new owner has the gas tank fixed and is planning on driving it next year. I am looking forward to seeing it out and about.

Dave
That is good to hear they are taking steps to make it more roadworthy. It’s optioned really well. Hopefully we’ll see more of the car on FCBO!

New-to-me pass. mirror installed. The chrome is in really good condition. Another late night eBay purchase justifying the loss of sleep. The old/existing one procured at Leon’s salvage in VA, I think? Gonna keep it as a spare.

D40E7687-E042-4BF4-AEC0-303201D8AFCA.jpeg

73F33C19-DC83-4C92-B64B-C69FDEBD5C77.jpeg

Great score, those are very hard to find, seems like most on ebay are for Plymouth only.

Oh I was joking with another guy...the round passenger mirrors are sold on every street corner by third graders, at Costco coupon prices. The SQUARE ones, however, can only be bought by Nepalese sherpas riding spotted goats in the markets of Outer Mongolia, paid for only with several liters of fermented horse milk...

Back