73 Monaco wagon

So. Got the door trim re-attached. Bought more clips from Murray Park.

Thinking it through, I figured there were a couple approaches a person could take. Either clip on the clips on the door then try to slide the trim over them, or “load” all the clips into the trim and “pull/lock” the clips on the rivet heads (that’s what I call them, anyway) one at a time.

To do method 2 you have to pull the trim piece toward you to force the “stacked up” clips to lock. Not easy and it requires care, but it works. The hassle was in getting the metal stud clips attached, at the last bit.

Method 1, attaching and locking the lock feature of each of the plastic clips to the door on each rivet head one at a time first, as well as the metal stud clips second, was what I did on the rear doors. It was a pain also. There is a cut away portion on the trim on one side and at one end of the trim, that allows a person to “load” the plastic pieces into the trim.

I’ll post photos of the front door first.

This task is not for the faint of heart.

0EDDE037-E172-4126-8D7F-D9CA18682E17.jpeg

8BE84A29-902D-4E5D-9ED7-69E62D675EAD.jpeg

8F93591D-E46A-484C-B699-B1A8B389DF86.jpeg

Here’s the rear door. This is probably closer to how it was done at the factory. It’s easy to imagine a work station on the assembly line where it was someone’s job to put the clips on the car, then it was the next station where they attached the trim.

You have to kind of “creep/slide” the trim over each plastic clip this way, aligning with the opened cutaway “mouth” on the one (hidden) side of the trim. Time and patience and gentleness.

I don’t ever want to do this again.

9421F477-879C-4900-9C04-AF51FEC46059.jpeg

0518FCA5-0104-4325-84D9-7E1B5A6B2A07.jpeg

I still need to do the rear quarter trim on both sides. It’s soooo long. Not looking forward to it. PITN. I need to build up my reserves of patience.

Car looks more finished now. Went for a drive today. A/C is working great.

03C2F6D0-43CE-4638-8404-0EBA8C9C3CE2.jpeg

6EA56B64-4250-434C-8A4A-4C39641BF4F3.jpeg

That dual A/c system is definitely the nuts for a giant car like the wagon.

I noticed while driving when I flicked the Rear A/C switch OFF, the needle for the alternator moved noticeably toward “C”...

Am thinking of upgrading the alternator. The one I have isn’t bad, I’d just like more peace of mind with something newer. We’ll see. I’m watching it.

I noticed while driving when I flicked the Rear A/C switch OFF, the needle for the alternator moved noticeably toward “C”...
Yeah I have the same issue. We are dealing with three blower motors running at the same time, with all fans on I notice they slow down when I'm sitting at a light. I'm also wondering about an alternator upgrade.

I have noticed over many years that Chrysler's original fan motors do not seem to age well and draw increasingly greater amounts of current over time and use than they should. I have seen a number of cases of burned wiring under the dash that I traced to a few fan motors that were drawing excessively.

The problem of putting an alternator of greater output on the car is that they will fry the wiring even more since the wiring was never designed for excess amounts of current. So I would caution to move slowly and check out the current draw of your motors to make sure they are not drawing excessively in the first place, or a fire could result under the dash.

I have noticed over many years that Chrysler's original fan motors do not seem to age well and draw increasingly greater amounts of current over time and use than they should. I have seen a number of cases of burned wiring under the dash that I traced to a few fan motors that were drawing excessively.

The problem of putting an alternator of greater output on the car is that they will fry the wiring even more since the wiring was never designed for excess amounts of current. So I would caution to move slowly and check out the current draw of your motors to make sure they are not drawing excessively in the first place, or a fire could result under the dash.

Thanks for the tips. Maybe I need some of those high efficiency 21st century drone motors...those things can move some air!

The shop oiled them as I recall. I would hope that would help.

Right rear quarter trim installed.

This was a real pain/challenge. The rivets were not all aligned in the same row so that created extra friction when trying to install the trim across the plastic clips, which were therefore not all aligned either since they attach to the rivets. As a result I ended up having to skip some rivets, unfortunately.

I tried the “stack the plastic clips in the trim and then lock them one at a time on the rivets” method, but it didn’t work.

The trim has an open slot on the bottom side toward the rear end, which fits over the plastic clips. Since it’s toward the rear of the car that means the install method at the factory would have been 1) attach the clips on the car and then 2) slide the trim over each successive clip, from front to rear. The trim “eats” the clip as it slides rearward. But...for me...with the rear door and trim already installed, this would not be possible without removing the door. So, I decided to take the Dremel tool and cut a similar slot in the FRONT bottom of the trim so I could slide it from ‘rear to front’. This worked pretty well. Photos attached.

Again, not something I ever care to do again, although...I now have to do the driver’s side...! Live and learn...

2C4B2826-617D-4E58-9725-8F5170A74DE6.jpeg

CC7CD05A-A57A-41D5-975A-110FA1C6BEEE.jpeg

B6D8579C-68EB-4716-8E6D-E91DEDED55BB.jpeg

2589B2D7-E442-43BD-9ACA-D2670C64213E.jpeg

03914234-19F1-42C6-ADF6-F5BE198F5D09.jpeg

C9EB1C5F-A610-4979-A936-9E099C7EEFAA.jpeg

The driver’s quarter trim is installed. Whew! It went pretty smoothly, applying the learning curve of the passenger side.

Today I installed the roof rack cross members. Eventually I’ll put the front vertical bumperettes back on, but for now enjoying the “clean look”.

E9CCC928-8A2B-4A13-A5B4-685BB7900890.jpeg

Sorry but, DAMN......... she is looking good!

The paint and mechanical and body shop did the heavy lifting. The wrap shop did the wood. Still much interior work to be done. Thanks

If it would have been any other color besides that blue, I probably would not have done it. It was the junkyard equivalent: of puppy dog eyes at the animal shelter.

Back