73 Monaco wagon

The tailgate letters. I really hadn’t looked too closely at these before now. That may be a result of the trauma of having paid a ridiculously high amount for them. “I just gotta have ‘em.”

They have special retainers on the back...

2019E0A3-C6ED-40F3-9E40-9A66B52F2E6B.jpeg

Apparently the plastic retainers are available from Auveco. And I have heard some chain auto parts stores carry them. Will have to investigate.

Apparently the plastic retainers are available from Auveco. And I have heard some chain auto parts stores carry them. Will have to investigate.
If anyone finds the part number or a source like Auveco, let me know. I am the world’s worst at finding stuff like that. A buddy at the local speed shop said Auveco has them though. I guess I could always call them...didn’t have much luck doing a search online. Not sure the description.

Looks good vWhat also works good to reveal the chrome, is to put some acetone on a rag wrap it tight around a piece of stiff cardboard or 1/8” hardboard and wipe across the top of your piece. The acetone will polish the top and the cardboard will prevent the rag sagging and wiping the middle of the paint.

Hmm. That’s a good suggestion. Thanks for sharing it. I’ll have to remember that.

One big happy family of five again. Have to get to Advance and see if they’ve got the tubular retaining pins.

48D18C68-8514-42F6-ABD6-17F6CDDFD374.jpeg

Those letter look very good now and should give even more class to the rest of the exterior appearance.

Did you ever get your transmission rebuilt Scott - or can you tell us what the problem ultimately was with the lack of power? I at least haven't seen anything further on that issue yet - just wondering.................

Yes I just got the car back Friday Steve. The tranny shop did a complete rebuild with a nice 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty. Not exactly sure what precisely failed. Maybe it was just “tahrrd”. If I think to do so, this week I’ll give them a call and ask.

The speed shop I work with subbed it out to a highly reputable transmission shop and now it runs well.

There was an exhaust manifold leak the speed shop fixed after the tranny shop worked on it.

I took my children out in it for the first time (that was a milestone that was a long time coming), and explained that back in the day a long trip to Florida would have had kids arguing and fighting with each other over who was on which half of the seat, and there were no iPads or DVD’s to watch, only miles and miles of pine trees and interstate, a crossword puzzle and some comic books.

Next on the agenda is getting the A/C checked out. I am hopeful the A/C shop can get it functional again. They told me to bring it in, I need to hustle up and do that before the 1 year work warranty expires!

Agree the letters will make it look less generic. Maybe it will help avoid “What kind of car is that?” questions.

“It’s a Dodge...” point at the tailgate...”...Monaco...” point at the side woodgrain...

The rear overhead light bezel and lens. Out with the old, in with the less old...

Thanks to 70SportSuburban for the inspiration to think about the little things like this. When you go to the junkyard you have to be like the hog butcher. Use everything but the squeal.

View attachment 422676

C9C99387-FAA1-4477-8E2B-6BAD4A48C4CD.jpeg

I’ll clean up the two forward panels and SEM coat them later. Right now I am trying to make the basement den look more like an office and less like a parts warehouse.

Alas, Advance did not have the Auveco tubular nuts. Looks like I’ll be buying direct.

Back