73 Monaco wagon

I have found that NAPA often has a very good supply/variety of those kinds of fasteners as well if there is one in your area.
Yes NAPA is a good place to look. Also if you have any larger Auto body supply places they sometimes have a good selection of fasteners.

Those letter look very good now and should give even more class to the rest of the exterior appearance.

Did you ever get your transmission rebuilt Scott - or can you tell us what the problem ultimately was with the lack of power? I at least haven't seen anything further on that issue yet - just wondering.................
Steve can you please send me a text. I had to do a factory re-set on my phone and lost your #.

I found them at a fastener web site. Kind of excited. It’s the little things. Finishing touches.

Last edited:
Oh. The car has plenty of pep now. The transmission was the problem. There was a leak at the exhaust manifold too. The shop replaced the gasket and tightened that up. That quieted it down considerably. It’s a lot smoother driving all around, now. And now...the wind noise around the door window channels is obvious. They are old and shrunken up a bit. I know Metro Moulded would likely have those, but they make you pick out the profile yourself, I am concerned I might pick the wrong one. That may be a January project. I also understand rear door on wagon is different than rear door on sedan(?), so have to be careful and not just “order a set”.

Oh. The car has plenty of pep now. The transmission was the problem. There was a leak at the exhaust manifold too. The shop replaced the gasket and tightened that up. That quieted it down considerably. It’s a lot smoother driving all around, now. And now...the wind noise around the door window channels is obvious. They are old and shrunken up a bit. I know Metro Moulded would likely have those, but they make you pick out the profile yourself, I am concerned I might pick the wrong one. That may be a January project. I also understand rear door on wagon is different than rear door on sedan(?), so have to be careful and not just “order a set”.
For the channels JCWhitney sells 'um too. Measure the width and depth of your channel and buy a tube of 3M yellow gorilla snot from about any parts store and get after it. I've found that a couple $ for a bag of 6" metal handle flux brushes from Harbor Freight is a life time supply for painting on that 3M glue too.

Last edited:
For the channels JCWhitney sells 'um too. Measure the width and depth of your channel and buy a tube of 3M yellow gorilla snot from about any parts store and get after it. I've found that a couple $ for a bag of 6" metal handle flux brushes from Harbor Freight is a life time supply for painting on that 3M glue too.
Hmm. Thanks for the tips! I didn’t realize JCW was still in business, thought they had gone belly up.

Hmm. Thanks for the tips! I didn’t realize JCW was still in business, thought they had gone belly up.
Get their phone # from Goggle. Ask them to send you their latest catalog that includes those channel "fuzzies". BTW, The guy that supplies Year One and most others in that game with Window Sweepers iz domiciled in either Canton-Akron, Ohio area. He'll custom make you exact copy's of your inners and outers on all 4 doors AND your T-Gate too if you send your originals regardless of their condition. I'll dig his information out I have in my files and post it here. I mentioned to you when we communicated a couple years ago that I've been where you are with my '61 Batwagon if you recall? Jer

Last edited:

Technically.. they don't exist anymore.... US Auto Parts owns the name now. I worked for Warshawsky & Co back in the day early 90's - early 2000's. Roy Warshawsky owned/built the company . He died in the late 90's and his kids (daughters) did what rich kids do... and sold off everything he worked for and built...including all his prized cars and land.... and eventually sold the company in 1999 to a mortgage equity company from the east coast. The original Warshawsky store on 19th and state was sold, the warehouse on 22th and throop street was sold. The only piece left is the warehouse off I80 in Lasalle, Illinois. Which still operates today under the JCWhitney name (Carparts.com). The website is still running today... which we built back in the late 90s'.

Removed the ABS end cover panels. Passenger side has coolant lines going to it. This thing is really stout. I can tell I better be supporting it well when I loosen the big bolts I uncovered, cause this assembly looks heavy. Looks like it belongs on the roof of a Winnebago. Way to go Airtemp. Note the hinges(?) at either end, presumably for serviceability.

View attachment 183122

View attachment 183123

View attachment 183124
We once had a 65 dodge custom 880 wagon that had that rear air....it looks as if it wasn't changed much in all those years between 65 and 73

we had a 72 Sport Suburban brand new that we could unlock from the drivers seat, but trying to lock it from there always blew the fuse.....the dealer had it multiple times and could never fix it. After about the third trip for this same problem, the service dept gave my Dad a box of fuses and told him to never bring it back for that problem....the unlock worked for as long as we had the car.....well into the 80's before it was the victim of an accident

i see that your last post wasn't that long ago and your seats may not be back yet.....I am trying to build a replica of my Dad's long gone 72 Fury wagon....your posts were so very helpful especially the roof with the spoiler removed. I have a request, if possible , can you post pics of the floor pans.....I saw the 3rd seat well pic and it was helpful...if the car is on a lift, pics from the bottom would be good or pics inside if the seats and carpets are still out. Your wagon is outstanding! I would have never thought to go to a vinyl wrap place to replicate the original woodgrain decals...those are especially awesome. Any chance your wagon will be at the Chryslers@Carlisle meet this year? Thanks, Ken Schmidt

Hi Ken. Nice to meet you. Thanks for the kind comments on the wood grain. That was a pleasant surprise when completed.

I got the interior - seats - finished. The carpet was replaced too. I SEM painted the door panels.

Car is in the shop right now, getting the AC thermostat replaced. Not sure what kind of floorboard pics you want. It’s all covered up now, with carpet?

I’d like to go to Carlisle. Frankly if I had a chase car or two it would be something I might consider but with COVID and everything else... probably not. 3 years into this and I still need a better sense that it will be reliable, now that I have put a gob of money into it. Not looking forward to more expensive gas prices, either.

I’d like to go to Carlisle. Frankly if I had a chase car or two it would be something I might consider but with COVID and everything else... probably not. 3 years into this and I still need a better sense that it will be reliable, now that I have put a gob of money into it. Not looking forward to more expensive gas prices, either.
Isn't it supposed to be like new after all this? :poke:

Go, and have fun. The car was made for road trips.

Isn't it supposed to be like new after all this? :poke:

Go, and have fun. The car was made for road trips.

C body wagons are a different breed of torture among the various body styles available. You will never understand this until you own one and work on it yourself. :BangHead:

C body wagons are a different breed of torture among the various body styles available. You will never understand this until you own one and work on it yourself. :BangHead:
That makes it less roadworthy? If you just went through the car and rebuilt everything, shouldn't it be good to go after a few short break in runs? Sure some things might need an adjustment, but after breaking in the engine, what would be the issue?
It would be a shame to see that car sit.

That makes it less roadworthy? If you just went through the car and rebuilt everything, shouldn't it be good to go after a few short break in runs? Sure some things might need an adjustment, but after breaking in the engine, what would be the issue?
It would be a shame to see that car sit.

Wagons are just more complex in terms of getting the interiors right and the tailgate working correctly and having dual a/c also makes them more complex and more difficult to service. Scott's issues have been ongoing from figuring out what to do about the woodgrain vinyl siding to make it look good again, more difficulty in getting the roof rack installed correctly and the air dams have access issues at the rear and just installing the tail light housings are torture - so it seems to be a never ending set of tasks to get done correctly to have the car to look and perform correctly and to actually get them on the road finally without issues. Then in Scott's case, in taking his wagon to get the dual a/c system working again and operating correctly has also been problematic and on his way to get the a/c system serviced, he ran into a problem with the transmission gradually causing the wagon to lose power and was slipping, so when he got the wagon a/c system working, he still had to deal with the transmission and get it fixed. Techs these days are not familiar with the old Chrysler a/c systems so while the system worked OK at first, gradually it started freezing up probably due to a failed EPR valve. So back to the a/c shop that was quite a drive away from Scott's house - after the transmission was fixed.

So what I am saying is that due to the added complexities of these wagons, time spent in getting them right is more tedious and so it takes some driving without problems before one can feel confident about them. Once everything is sorted out though, then driving should be normal but the added complexities make for more issue to arise than the more simple models. Just adjusting the electric door lock on the tail gate and operation of the power tailgate window and the automatic lock mechanisms and the swing out or fold down mechanism are pretty delicate adjustments, so use just causes them to get out of adjustment and so it seems one never stops fussing with these things. Scott also has kids to be concerned about and so the lockout mechanisms for not allowing the tail gate to open from inside by the kids has to stay in adjustment for safety reasons etc.........

Back