73 Monaco wagon

Thank you Paul. It would not be what it is without the hard work of others and the help of folks from FCBO. The people aspect is what makes the hobby rewarding.

One more, by the road…the local railroad bridge is a popular spot for photos…

5D436221-24C1-4AA7-91BA-8419A53D4698.jpeg

Near the end of the year/Christmas. A good time to reflect.

Want to take a moment to say thank you. Hope I don’t mess this up!

This car is a credit to many.

The U.S. and Canada, where many years ago, it could be built!

Chrysler Corporation
The designers and engineers and finance and quality and logistics and HR personnel…

The suppliers who supplied, and their workers and staff…US Steel, DuPont, PPG, Goodyear, Dana, Bendix, Motorola, and on and on…

The UAW workers who built it

The truckers who hauled it
The dealership who sold it
The owner who bought and maintained it for decades
The folks at Wildcat Mopar who still saw some value in it, in its derelict condition
Their guys who loaded it onto the trailer
My employer who paid me for my work so I could buy it
The really tired Russian trucker who carefully hauled it to me all the way from Oregon!
The shop who did the bulk of the resto work, including an amazing paint job: SRM Paintwerks here in NC
The vinyl wrap shop Atlantic Wraps in Charlotte who did the faux wood siding
The trim polisher who made the rub strips come back to life: Moe, in Kernersville, NC
The upholsterer in TN that rescued the ratty interior, covered the seats, installed the headliner
Manny, @70 Sport Suburban for the bajillion obscure and CRITICAL wagon-unique parts he found me (he makes it look so easy, but it ain’t) or places he told me to visit to get parts myself (Leon’s!!)
Steve, @saforwardlook for expertise and graciously getting me some VERY nice salvaged parts and fielding my inane clueless questions at random hours
Paul, @BLIMP for being the only other known Monaco wagon person with obscure and arcane Monaco wagon specific knowledge that kept me from going down useless rabbit holes…
@Beep Beep Dave
@C Body Bob
@azblackhemi
@polarus
@LocuMob
@cantflip
@live4theking
@BIGBARNEYCARS
@Big_John

…for parts hunting wisdom, random helpful comments, and general Mopar knowledge…

And others. Including Mr. Murray Park and his parts.

Thank you FCBO (quite a vast and deep knowledge base here!) and anyone reading this whom I might have forgotten. I feel fortunate/blessed to have been able to have participated in the restoration. I’m a man of modest means and this is a once in a lifetime project. I’ve learned a bunch too, and that is a big part of the fun.

Last edited:
Hello, wow, I just looked at the newsletter of forcbodiesonly and found your article! I shall read ALL in January when I have time for reading. I importet last year my 1972 Monaco Station Wagon (440 4bbl) from Colorado to Switzerland and it has a broken (missing) tailgateglass too!!! I lot of thinks are done already and I just picked it up from the paintshop to the place where they shall create a new woody-decal all around the car. There is another 73 Station Wagon who did go to France last year. Well.. for now I wish you happy holidays and all the best for the new year. Your Monaco is beautiful! Greetings from Switzerland, Isabel (driving Mopars for 34years)
Dez 22 2021 d.jpg

Hi Isabel! That 72 is very straight, looks to be in good condition. I have hubcaps very similar to that, they were the original. If I can help you with any information, feel free to ask. It’s a fine car. A lot of people with knowledge on here. You got a 440, that’s great! Do you have the replacement glass?

I have had the decal already created by a company in the US - Atlantic Wraps, near Charlotte, North Carolina, if you want to contact them, they may sell you the artwork. It could be transferred by CAD data. Then your shop could just print it out. I don’t know if they would be willing to do that, like an ftp, IGES or DWG file on a Sharepoint perhaps. Just a thought!

Stunning clear! Great! I love if peoples give attention to the Details - that is Car-Love :)
I cleaned the green cap with a cotton swab, after I took the photo. I need to fix the metal tab that is sticking out on the radiator.

What did you use to clean the bottle?
Outside- clear dish soap and a kitchen scrubbing pad, and steel wool on areas with hard to remove stains. Use fine steel wool. #000. The plastic is VERY tough.

Inside…the “secret sauce”…

Kids sandbox sand…”play sand”…very clean.

Put in about 2 or 3 cups. Add just enough water that it becomes a kind of slurry, like a milkshake. Put your hand over the opening and SHAKE! It takes a little time and effort, but it’s very effective at getting everything. It’s good because it gets all the brown residue off. There are no little orifices or hoses for the sand to get stuck in, so you can just rinse it thoroughly once finished. I was very pleased with the results.

I tried using a clothes drier lint filter brush at first, but that didn’t work very well.

Outside- clear dish soap and a kitchen scrubbing pad, and steel wool on areas with hard to remove stains. Use fine steel wool. #000. The plastic is VERY tough.

Inside…the “secret sauce”…

Kids sandbox sand…”play sand”…very clean.

Put in about 2 or 3 cups. Add just enough water that it becomes a kind of slurry, like a milkshake. Put your hand over the opening and SHAKE! It takes a little time and effort, but it’s very effective at getting everything. It’s good because it gets all the brown residue off. There are no little orifices or hoses for the sand to get stuck in, so you can just rinse it thoroughly once finished. I was very pleased with the results.

I tried using a clothes drier lint filter brush at first, but that didn’t work very well.
I haven't tried it yet, but I read about using apple cider vinegar on the inside of the bottle.

I actually tried vinegar and baking soda first. Didn’t do much. The old grade school volcano. Just fizzled.

Scrubbing on this cargo area dome light. Using toothpaste and a kitchen scrub pad. Did half it, to see the result. I’ll use clear paint polish when I get the dead faded stuff removed.

1726F53C-60F2-4F88-9682-AFF74393B551.jpeg

I actually tried vinegar and baking soda first. Didn’t do much. The old grade school volcano. Just fizzled.
That's because the baking soda neutralizes the acid in the vinegar and forms a gas, hence the volcano. Best to use only vinegar and let it soak for a while or it won't do anything

Back