73 Monaco wagon

That's because the baking soda neutralizes the acid in the vinegar and forms a gas, hence the volcano. Best to use only vinegar and let it soak for a while or it won't do anything
Makes sense! I was hoping all the fizzing would do the work. Live and learn!

More elbow grease, and…it’s serviceable.

View attachment 506942
Very nice done. I am a fan of Glycerin and I brushed all plastic pieces like this with Glyserin and let it be for some days or 1-2 weeks. All door weatherstripes I brushes with Glycerin and it became very well, I brushed them a second time and it is fine now - as first I tought that I have to replace them. Now they are ok thanks Glycerin. At the moment the plastic door panels for the Magnum are "sleeping in Glycerin". And the middle console and dashbad of the Magnum - red - became fresh looking and more softness.

Outside- clear dish soap and a kitchen scrubbing pad, and steel wool on areas with hard to remove stains. Use fine steel wool. #000. The plastic is VERY tough.

Inside…the “secret sauce”…

Kids sandbox sand…”play sand”…very clean.

Put in about 2 or 3 cups. Add just enough water that it becomes a kind of slurry, like a milkshake. Put your hand over the opening and SHAKE! It takes a little time and effort, but it’s very effective at getting everything. It’s good because it gets all the brown residue off. There are no little orifices or hoses for the sand to get stuck in, so you can just rinse it thoroughly once finished. I was very pleased with the results.

I tried using a clothes drier lint filter brush at first, but that didn’t work very well.

Wow, really a good idea! I used baked soda and it worked very well too - when I letted it stay for a night.

Since it was just mentioned, I've had mixed results using glycerin on dry window rubber. Sometimes it will soften them up.

Places that sell baking supplies, it's used to make frosting and many other things.

Like I wrote you, here the pics with the weatherstripe part numbers:
(and my NOS Decal (what we only use for reproduction) )

Original NOS rechts hinten.jpg

Weatherstrip 1.jpg

Weatherstrip 2.jpg

Weatherstrip 11.jpg

Weatherstrip 21.jpg

Re-finishing rear quarter window upper trim. It’s got some unsightly surface rust. I’ll try toothpaste.

85A3D750-5245-47F0-A9A0-B3312A0C6BBA.jpeg

Naval jelly and steel wool, then spray with baking soda and water to neutralize acid. Now I’ll primer and paint.

83806F4B-64D7-46F9-B2EA-FB08711E96EF.jpeg

Got it painted and reinstalled. Ran out of time to take a pic before installation. The paint is a bit more “white” than “tan”, but it looks fine. Looks ok against the color of the 2nd row overhead AC unit. The main thing is I stopped the rust and it looks much better, reinstalled.

Got it painted and reinstalled. Ran out of time to take a pic before installation. The paint is a bit more “white” than “tan”, but it looks fine. Looks ok against the color of the 2nd row overhead AC unit. The main thing is I stopped the rust and it looks much better, reinstalled.
Soon I have the same work to do. After 4 Months! (Corona in enterprise) I took her back home 3days ago. Now some Interior work must be done. The decal looks very fine, exact how I like it.

Tedious work project. Removed tan metal panels around cargo area. Cleaning and repainting. Screws were difficult but I got them out without destroying any.

1B8219B5-BDA7-430B-BB9F-C8EA5E0DB571.jpeg

000A31FB-3C61-439F-9BEF-FD173DA32B05.jpeg

A3431064-33A5-40EB-AAC5-F83D75BC5DA0.jpeg

D52BADCC-336E-4A7E-9BC5-CA4EF604CB3F.jpeg

1DD5030C-246E-4749-AB34-5CC2372CA5B7.jpeg

Had to take the third row seat out. I’m tired!
When I had to do that to one of my wagons, I felt the same way - very tedious! That's one of the reasons I maintain that restoring one of those C body wagons, especially with the third seat, is very unlike restoring a 2 or 4 door hardtop or sedan.

Much more work and the tailgate has its own complexities as well.

Oh. One more thing. Trying to keep the factory original “paint run drips” intact! For authenticity!

Naval jelly/wire brush…I’ll sand them and spray with primer and then spray the color…

52FEB01C-7440-48C3-8183-69016A1A63EE.jpeg

EAF439D7-6C38-43C4-8FB9-169AC1627AC9.jpeg

Back