73 Monaco wagon

Where does the wear occur? Ends?

The one I took out is on the right, in the photo. The replacement I decided not to put in is on the left. It doesn’t look nearly as good.
Yes the ends. If I remember right the hardened part of the steel, I think is only 2 or 3 mm thick.

Yes the ends. If I remember right the hardened part of the steel, I think is only 2 or 3 mm thick.
That’s what I thought I remembered someone posting. I checked heights on the two they looked the same. Sticking with quality!

Touch up of the silver on the tail light lenses. Before on the right, after on the left. I think these are Polara lenses because they are not all silver, they have black bands between the silver.

79A1D5B7-A40A-4495-AFAD-8C1EBFCFB446.jpeg

EFD69D57-9B7F-47BF-A7D2-66620492A83E.jpeg

Just repainted the silver outline on the horn pad. Hard to see, but trust me, it looks better.

CB394C6E-C2C4-4CF7-8CFA-11C252E4538E.jpeg

One of the three pads had peeled off on the end and was poking out. I took this apart to stick that end back on. It’s a bit of a tricky assembly because there are four small rubber round dots used as spacers to prevent the two metal strips from contacting each other, unless you press the horn pad to make it “beep”.

Heater/AC blower fan has stopped working. Checked fuses. They do not appear to be blown.

Uh-oh

Check the electrical diagrams.
There may be an issue with the system control switch and/or the blower resistor block as well as the connections to them.
Thank you for the tip. Unfortunately I do not have an electrical diagram. I am guessing that would be in the FSM. Wouldn’t know where the system control switch or blower resistor block would be located, either. Got a pic?

I had an aftermarket A/C compressor installed in 2020. FYI.

AC/heater blower stopped working.

Don't see any blown fuses.

Trying to power up blower but not getting anywhere.

Maybe it is the blower itself.

Anyone ever have that problem?

So this was weird.
Blower fan wasn’t working.
Disassembled dash to get to temp/AC/Heater control.
In the middle of that, tried to start car.
Would not start.
Reassembled dash items.
Car now starts normally.
Blower working again at all three speeds.

Sounds like you moved something that brightened up a corroded connection/ re-established connectivity in a loose connection.

Sounds like you moved something that brightened up a corroded connection/ re-established connectivity in a loose connection.
I think so. Removed 3 fuses and polished the ends with steel wool.

Replacing the drivers side taillight. The one currently in is “not bad”. I am replacing it with one “slightly better”. Have to paint the edges onto the replacement first, however.

49D9BB9C-7AAA-43BA-BE76-62425B2749A6.jpeg

Old (removed) on the right, newer donor on the left. The one on the right was just a bit faded.

DCFE5CF9-F430-414D-B87C-D51D6132031B.jpeg

Installed! While I had the lens off I cleaned the terminals and bulb contacts with a little steel wool. Things can get a little green over the winter.

8954F2E9-80F3-4BE7-B613-70A4498A2E38.jpeg

Thats well made and now you have one for reserve. I also have a pair for reserve - you never know :)
Agreed. Small(-ish) cosmetic items, better to have a spare if you can find them now. Becoming more rare and more expensive, every passing day.

"Restoration" seems a bit presumptuous and overly ambitious at this point. I figured this was as good a place as any to post some pics of some work I've begun. My goal right now is just to make it roadworthy. It's not far off from that, but we'll see what happens as things progress.

Today I got the tailgate glass up. Seems like a small thing, but the motor works, that is a relief! $$$ saved. With electrical power on the car, the switch does not cause the motor to work. Continuity, or lack thereof. So it could be the switch, breaker, or wiring. Not sure if there is a relay, that is a possibility also.

View attachment 121062

View attachment 121063
Im redoing a 69 300 convertible and time after time ive found one simple thing to do first for these electric motors and switches. Open them and use alcohol to clean contacts. I was looking for door switches, vent motors, etc and couldnt really afford the cost of used replacements. Ive fixed 4 switches, 5 motors, and 2 door solenoids, saving me thousands.

Back