73 Monaco wagon

MonacoBlue

Reaction score
"Restoration" seems a bit presumptuous and overly ambitious at this point. I figured this was as good a place as any to post some pics of some work I've begun. My goal right now is just to make it roadworthy. It's not far off from that, but we'll see what happens as things progress.

Today I got the tailgate glass up. Seems like a small thing, but the motor works, that is a relief! $$$ saved. With electrical power on the car, the switch does not cause the motor to work. Continuity, or lack thereof. So it could be the switch, breaker, or wiring. Not sure if there is a relay, that is a possibility also.

IMG_1922.JPG

IMG_1923.JPG

Right on, man. Just barely cracked into my 67 yesterday and of course my list went from modest to ROBUST in .5 seconds. One step at a time though. Get er on the road!

Its nice to have a small victory! I don't quite have mine working yet. I got it to move maybe 2 inches but the motor doesn't have enough power. I have everything lubed up. I got a NOS Motor in the box that was sold to me as new but I think it is actually used. It works on the bench but I don't know if it will have enough power either.

Do you have your tailgate opening both ways? So far I have mine only swinging like a door...I haven't figured out why it won't drop down. Before I got it open I don't think it was opened up in 30 years.

Dave

It's the little victories that keep us going. None of the windows on my wagon wanted to move at first. Only 13 years of sitting. Now, although a couple are slow moving, they all work!

Thanks for the encouragement! Yes I want to try the tailgate feature but ran out of time over lunch hour. A little concerned because glass was replaced by junkyard at some point and I want to make sure it is correctly padded at attachment points. "Wonder why the old glass broke?" Proceeding with caution, so far so good.

One step at a time, keep the updates going. This is going to be an interesting thread. Good luck.

Many years ago I had a 72 Polara wagon. One day I opened the gate and it did not latch correctly when I closed it. Sure enough when I started to drive away the gate opened, I tried to slow down easy, but the gate swung closed and goodbye glass. Never made that mistake again.

FSM, shows location of a safety switch for tailgate glass, a little silver thing that sticks out of the side of the door on the key side of the door if I recall

Thanks! I will look for it during daylight. FSM = Fury Service Manual?

Safety switch...to prevent glass from going up or down?...seems strange.

Its nice to have a small victory! I don't quite have mine working yet. I got it to move maybe 2 inches but the motor doesn't have enough power. I have everything lubed up. I got a NOS Motor in the box that was sold to me as new but I think it is actually used. It works on the bench but I don't know if it will have enough power either.

Do you have your tailgate opening both ways? So far I have mine only swinging like a door...I haven't figured out why it won't drop down. Before I got it open I don't think it was opened up in 30 years.

Dave
I wondered if there wasn't an interlock that required the glass to be fully down before the tailgate feature would allow the door to swing down. I had short time today and just wanted to get the glass up to keep the car from bugs etc. I will try to check it out tomorrow.

I wondered if there wasn't an interlock that required the glass to be fully down before the tailgate feature would allow the door to swing down. I had short time today and just wanted to get the glass up to keep the car from bugs etc. I will try to check it out tomorrow.
There is...look for a metal rod (like the ones in the door that run from latches to exterior and interior handles) at the bottom of the tailgate push down on it (like the glass would when fully down) and try the handle. It should drop the gate.

There is...look for a metal rod (like the ones in the door that run from latches to exterior and interior handles) at the bottom of the tailgate push down on it (like the glass would when fully down) and try the handle. It should drop the gate.

That makes sense, it tough to mess with that when you are working alone as I am scared the tailgate will drop down or fall off lol
I will get the window working first and go from there.

Thanks for your input.

Dave

Hooked up the battery today, lowered the glass over lunch hour. Closed the door, tried the mechanical gate switch lever. Nothing.

Grabbed a can of PB Blaster, squirted everywhere that looked like a moving part. Tried the lever again, and...KA-CHUNK....down that tailgate went, just as intended! I then PB Blastered a couple more spots (I am petrified of the idea of expensive unobtainium wagon parts failing because they are rusted and I didn't think to let them soak in some penetrating oil). But this was another win. I got some grease and put it on stuff that looked like it needed it, where there was previously grease, like a guide rod.

There is a black plastic window seal on the interior side of the tailgate where the glass exits the door/gate, it is crumbled and mostly gone. I need to get something on that to prevent metal to glass contact. I also noted one hard rubber rectangular guide inside the gate had fallen off. It needs replaced, about as big as half a domino. The metal tab that supports it could contact the glass. Didn't see it lying in the bottom of the gate. One thing at a time. I lubed the track with just a little grease, which the glass guides travel up and down in. I think when the glass got replaced, not all of those white plastic and metal guides were reinstalled. I found three lying in the side back plastic storage bins/ cubby hole of the cargo area.

IMG_1931.JPG

IMG_1930.JPG

I should say 'battery CHARGER', not battery. Still need to sort out the switch/wiring failure to deliver power to the gate. Continuity check needed.

Gate probably hasn't been opened since Reagan was President.

Back