'75 Imperial, what do you guys do for rear brakes?

1975.Imperial

Reaction score
Thankfully the rear rotors on my new Imperial look like they still have some life left in them but, of course, they aren't going to last forever. I know there's no more reproduction rotors so what options are there to continue having brakes? The most plausible one I've come up with is to swap the drums from a Chrysler into it but that seems less than ideal

Via Google, found a thread in here from April, 2014. Mentions rear calipers and conversion back to rear drums.

CBODY67

Not sure, but I think the 74-75 Imperials used the 8 3/4 axle? There are several rear disc conversion kits out there for Mopar vehicles. Granted these are primarily for A, B & E bodies but I'd think they'd work. Just a suggestion, pricey, but you retain the discs.

Last edited:
Well my '75 Imperial has drums in the rear and they work great but I haven't a clue when or by whom they were put there. My best guess would be off a New Yorker. I could try and get some pictures and/or part numbers next week or so if you'd like.

74-75 (?) Imperials could have had factory rear disc brakes (on a 9 1/4 rear). Back in the 80's, I got a set from a salvage yard and put them on my 74 Road Runner (8 3/4 from a 69 B body).
In the 80's, I could get replacement pads and rotors. It wasn't a direct swap, but I don't recall all of the things I did to make it work.
Of course today, pads, rotors, emergency brake shoes, and master cylinder are all unobtanium. Personally, if it were me, I would swap out the entire rear axle for one with large drum brakes, swap master cylinder/proportioning valve and call it a day. You'd still have the original disk brake rear to freshen up if/when you find the parts.
jus sayin....

I have one very nice rotor $50 + shipping. + 2 calipers available Also a complete rear end still in car $350. Will not part rearend.
Located in Northern California

74/75 Imperials were all factory standard with the 4 wheel discs. The rear diff was always only a 9.25 for Formal Imperials. The rear calipers for the Imperial are the same as the fronts for a Volare/ 5th Ave (FMJ car) Replacement front pads for one of those cars can be clearance ground to fit the rears.

Hard parts list:

Master cylinder (it is 50-50, unlike the disc drum cars)...most people forget this.
Rear rotors- unobtanium ...from time to time good used sets appear
Parking brake shoes/ hardware...you'll probably have to get what you have re-lined.

I have one very nice rotor $50 + shipping. + 2 calipers available Also a complete rear end still in car $350. Will not part rearend.
SGT , trying to send you a PM, but your inbox is full. You can text or call if that’s easier. 718-406-4051

Last edited:
Thank you all, I guess I'll be starting my search for a rear axle from one of the Chryslers to swap in. I've seen that Wilwood (and another brand that I forget the name of) make a rear disk setup that would fit the axle but $1,000+ is a bit too rich for my liking

If you are keeping it with the original 1974 - 1975 Imperial set up, I believe I have a couple sets of the Rear Disc Brake Pads.....

Its a sin these parts are not available or easily sourced. If we were talking Corvettes you could choose from a half a dozen vendors or more. Damn.

Can you call me if the rotor fits 70 or 72 imperial I have both year cars. 3076405566? If it fits I will buy the rotor?

Does the rotor have a mini-drumbrake in it for a parking brake?
If not, there surely is some modern-car rotor that has similar dimensions that could be retrofitted.
The distance from wheel mounting surface to the rotor surface are critical, as is the thickness. (this will likely be the big hangup)
Would also need to know th eID of the rotor, to fit over the axle flange.
If the donor vehicle OD is too large, it can be machined to size.
If the bolt pattern is off, any 5-lug rotor could have a 2nd pattern put in, or obround the existing holes to fit (like a unilug wheel).

Back when I was vigorously researchign rotors for front-brake retrofits, I saved a lot of dimensional data on various rotors. Some of them were too small for front usage, but might work for the rear of a heavy Imp.

If anyone wants to post dimensions to the following format (but in inches), I can see if I see any prospects. (don't worry about weight nor bolt size)
'Height' is distance from further braking surface to the wheel mounting surface.

1662312289875.png

Does the rotor have a mini-drumbrake in it for a parking brake?
If not, there surely is some modern-car rotor that has similar dimensions that could be retrofitted.
The distance from wheel mounting surface to the rotor surface are critical, as is the thickness. (this will likely be the big hangup)
Would also need to know th eID of the rotor, to fit over the axle flange.
If the donor vehicle OD is too large, it can be machined to size.
If the bolt pattern is off, any 5-lug rotor could have a 2nd pattern put in, or obround the existing holes to fit (like a unilug wheel).

Back when I was vigorously researchign rotors for front-brake retrofits, I saved a lot of dimensional data on various rotors. Some of them were too small for front usage, but might work for the rear of a heavy Imp.

If anyone wants to post dimensions to the following format (but in inches), I can see if I see any prospects. (don't worry about weight nor bolt size)
'Height' is distance from further braking surface to the wheel mounting surface.

View attachment 556143
Yes, 74/75 rear discs have mini brake shoes inside the hat, which also serves as the drum for the shoes.

Based on that, I think the option will be to find a caliper that performs the parking brake feature via a screw-lever-appllicator on the parking brake.
But that's beyond anything I had ever looked at.
Although - if going to a different caliper, that may open up more rotor availability.

But at that point, originality is gone, so I would look at 8-3/4" conversion kits, or put 2-1/2" drums on.

If you still have rear brake parts (rotors, pads, cylinders, etc) for 1974 Imperial, I would appreciate knowing what you still have and at what price. Thank you
I have kept all the parts.

I'll have to take another look at the condition of the parts, if I remember right, the calipers should be rebuilt, the rotors are thin, the parking brake shoes should be relined, the parking brake hardware should be replaced, and the soft lines should be replaced. All the other parts seem to be ready to install, booster, master, prop valve, caliber mounting brackets, parking brake cables, and pads.

I can get some pictures in a couple of weeks, I'm currently at college so away from the garage.

I believe that they still make rear calipers and pads. If I'm remembering right they're the same as the fronts on the Plymouth Volare.

I'm not completely decided on the price, I had it listed for $100 without the master/booster/prop valve. With that stuff maybe $250 plus shipping.

Back