77 T&C resto round 2 - removing door trim....

Looks like those grab handles would attach from the outside body from hardware from inside the car?
I can find a nut for the bottom of it from an access hole in the door jam, but I'll be damned if i have a tool to fit in there and even if you could somehow finagle a socket it on it, not sure how easy it would be to get back on. Then there is the top!

But clearly, it was installed, so it has to come off.

The grab handles come off...a nut at each end of the handle. You have to reach up to get the upper. I don`t remember what I used (box end wrench I think to get it started and then spun it off with my fingers.).

The grab handles come off...a nut at each end of the handle. You have to reach up to get the upper. I don`t remember what I used (box end wrench I think to get it started and then spun it off with my fingers.).
I'm beginning to think you, then I, are the first to undertake restoring one of these.

If you did it, I will do it. It is just when that new paint and Di-noc hit the road, I want the chrome sharp!

For anyone watching, I found a guy parting out a green 77. I'm making a trek for parts. If you want something - Windshield, quarter glass..... I'll pick it up if you want it.

For anyone watching, I found a guy parting out a green 77. I'm making a trek for parts. If you want something - Windshield, quarter glass..... I'll pick it up if you want it.

If it has a good green tilt tele wheel and dash pad, rear bumper guards/ rubber treads I may be interested depending on price.

I'm beginning to think you, then I, are the first to undertake restoring one of these.

If you did it, I will do it. It is just when that new paint and Di-noc hit the road, I want the chrome sharp!

I've seen 4 Formal T&Cs that the owner claims to have restored (including yours and mine). Two (below) I would characterize as repaints. My car was gutted down to a shell and I went through everything, including the wire harnesses, rechromed bumpers, grille, NOS door handles etc. I am not done yet...the Autotemp lost the freon charge (I have tracked it down to a hole in the condenser). I am sending away the radio for digital conversion with iPod jack modernization. I will also eventually recast the tilt tele wheel. Then it will be done.
Here's pics of the other 2:
1977-chrysler-town-amp-country-station-wagon-only-68k-miles-extremely-rare-1.jpg
1977_Chrysler_Town_&_Country.jpg

I'm doing mine in stages. First the out side. I will rechrome what I can. Then interior. I'll paint, recarpet and reupholster what is possible. I'm not touching any glass. Next winter I might pull the engine to detail the bay and under carriage. Hard to get inspired when parts are so rare and they aren't worth anything when you are done butt a bunch of thumbs up!

Restoring any C body has to be about the love. My Dad had several C body wagons (71 T&C, 74 Monaco Brougham, 76 T&C) and I thought they were the coolest things...still do. I`d love to have an example of each of his cars, but I`ll probably only have the Formal T&C.

It`s funny...at the car shows everyone it seems has a wagon story, yet I`m often the only wagon there.

IMG_1639.JPG
Now, does anyone know how to get this piece of windshield trim off? I don't want to go too far and break something. Can't see what the clip looks like

You gotta be careful or you can crack your windshield. There are 3 clips with a twisted tab that goes through slots in stampings on the pillar and a screw at the bottom.

Since you have the top piece off, I recommend that you remove the bottom screw and then slide the trim up and down as necessary to pop the trim off of the clips via the slot in the trim. Once the chrome is off. You'll better see the clips and how to access the tabs. You need to press the twisted tab with a screw driver to straighten it while pulling up on the clip to pop it out. Having the screw driver close to the windshield edge is the danger of cracking the windshield.

Once you've done it once, you'll be a pro at it.

Fast Eddie: I'll appreciate your showing the clips that Mr C is referring to after you get the trim off so I can have a visualization.

The key was the slot in the trim. I thought I looked for it and didnt see it. Hit it with some serious light and I found it. After that it was 'easy'. I tapped the slot down to the first clip and had to pretty much go right to the hinge but it popped out the slot. It was tough and rusty pushing it back up so I slathered it in PB Blaster. I pushed it up and the pressure alone popped it out of the middle clip. I could feel it wasn't completely free and know I could feel the inner edge holding on. A quick snap toward the middle of the car snapped the trim out of the inner ridge on both clips and after that it just slid right off the top clip. Never had to go near the windshield with a screwdriver.
IMG_1642.JPG
IMG_1646.JPG
IMG_1648.JPG
IMG_1649.JPG

Love it !!! Now I understand the windshield issue clearly. You two guys just saved me money down the road, I'm sure.

I'll ask. He was going to try and get me pics.

Eddie, please get some pics of the oars car, I'd be interested in the windshield if it's in good shape, maybe a few other things. I have a 75 NYB so I'm not sure I can use much from a 77. But pics would help me. Thanks

image.jpg
Love it !!! Now I understand the windshield issue clearly. You two guys just saved me money down the road, I'm sure.
The clips, now that is where you have to slide the screwdriver in and depress the locking clip. I'm pretty sure you have to remove the trim first as I did. I don't think you could pop off trim and clip at once.

Back