77 T&C resto round 2 - removing door trim....

Fast Eddie B

Reaction score
image.jpg
I got the rear quarter window trim removal sorted out, but I can't figure out the trim on the doors. Pretty eloborate and thus likely simple! It is the trim around the window and It looks like it must just pry out but from where? The bottom trim is somehow mounted differently yet to the door sheet metal.

I would just keep the same thread As before and change the title so we could follow your whole progress in one thread.

That trim is a press/crimp fit. No fasteners. I used a small oak block and hammer to work it off. Just work it down a little at a time, do not pull on it.

That was easy!
But that leading edge on the drivers door I am guessing has screws poking through from the frame...
image.jpg
That trim is a press/crimp fit. No fasteners. I used a small oak block and hammer to work it off. Just work it down a little at a time, do not pull on it.

So what are your plans with this car? It looks like a good base to work with.

The plan is to get it looking good for next summer. So full top side make over. New di-noc, I will polish or replace all the bright work as necessary. Paint into the door edges. Concurrent to that I will paint the interior plastic. Replace carpet. It needs factory mirrors installed. There might be one open seam on the drivers seat. Might have to get that resewn. That should all be ready for the summer. This spring/summer, if all the cosmetics go well I will either yank the engine, detail the bay, and reinstall with fuel injection and electronic ignition or I might just go the fuel injection and ignition route and detail the engine and undercarriage next winter. Depends how other projects go. It won't see rain or snow anymore.

UNLESS

A pristine white 74 shows up someday at which point I abondon this one and just pick that up.

Perhaps I am unclear about what trim you refer to...

The leading edge of the upper sill trim is held in my the screw I referred to.

The sedan pillar trim around the door glass is pressed on like the rest you removed. I believe you will need to loosen the vent assembly and lean it back to pull the trim.

Perhaps I am unclear about what trim you refer to...

The leading edge of the upper sill trim is held in my the screw I referred to.

The sedan pillar trim around the door glass is pressed on like the rest you removed. I believe you will need to loosen the vent assembly and lean it back to pull the trim.
That might work. I was a little nervous about taking the vent window and door apart. I have a big enough headache with the rear door trim!

Coming along removing trim. But the rear bumper has to come off and it is quite rusted in place. Anyone know if it is as simple as unbolting the four bolts holding in the energy absorbing bumpers and are they safe to put heat to?
IMG_1549.JPG

They are just what you expect from any bumper. No extra surprises.
DO NOT be in the drop zone. They are a bunker buster.

I would be careful about how much heat I was tossing on those bolts on the rubber padded bumperettes.....the heat could find it's way to melting them. I would keep the PB blaster going on them for a few days, and cycle the heat in short bursts from time to time, and perhaps a few whacks with a hammer and punch.

I was really surprised at how much those bolts softened up after 2 days of PB Blaster. Got them off with no heat.

Now, anyone have any idea how to get those grab handles off? There is a small access hole for the bottom, maybe, but otherwise looks impossible.

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

ill say it -

have you bought a service manual yet?

try not to bust your bunker -

- saylor
Yep. And the monster parts book (about 8" thick). Unless I have the wrong factory service manual (called a chassis and something manual), it has very limited info on either the wagon or a lot of the assembly of the car. I haven't yet looked up the exploded view in the parts book. That has been OK for assembly of parts, but not great. I have not found a factory assembly manual yet for this car.

ill say it -

have you bought a service manual yet?

try not to bust your bunker -

- saylor
I find the FSM useless in helping how to disassemble body parts.
Good for electrical and mechanical components but stuff like those grab handles not so much.
The parts book is good for that because they show it in explosion form. Except in your case, of course. lmao. They don't even show the damn handles...
facepalm_by_rolzor.gif

Screenshot_2016-12-30-14-16-07-137.jpeg

Last edited:
I find the FSM useless in helping how to disassemble body parts.
Good for electrical and mechanical components but stuff like those grab handles not so much.
The parts book is good for that because they show it in explosion form. Except in your case, of course. lmao. They don't even show the damn handles...
facepalm_by_rolzor.gif

View attachment 109843
You're right! I forgot about that. I looked at the tailgate for other stuff and saw no handles (maybe they are permanent) but I did see something on getting the wind wing off. That will be next and I may find holes for the grab handles if I tear enough apart.

Meanwhile, has anyone actually removed one of these?

Back