For Sale 78 Formal in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCMoparGuy

Reaction score
Contact seller
Hello all, I saw this Formal for sale in Brooklyn, NYC. I live in Queens near Gull Wing Motors and can take a look if anyone is interested.

78 Chrysler New Yorker, Brougham Black V8 440 big block

This is my first post so feedback would be appreciated.
00K0K_7s74F2QUjyB_600x450.jpg

Looks to be in decent condition from what I can see....

View attachment 122629

1) Good screen name (I would have also suggested New Yorker New Yorker.)

2) Relevant, useful posting. That is a C-body in the C-body 4 sale section. Thank you for not wasting time with "I'm not related to the seller, etc..", for what difference does that make?

3) Picture posted, check.

4) Acceptable grammar, punctuation, legible font. G-rated syntax.

I give it a B+; reserving A's for people giving me free SFGT's.

I live in Weatchester, I may take a drive over an sneak a peek.. like the Black / Red combo. Price is a bit strong IMO. More incomplete picture from a CL post.. Kills me..

Hello all, I saw this Formal for sale in Brooklyn, NYC.
You did just fine... the seller on the other hand... WTF is this?
00L0L_cOopAaYKu6p_600x450.jpg

It's likely my ignorance, but that seems like a lot of wasted effort if it is for marketing the car. Is this related to marketing to millennials? The car is nice in the pics, but priced for 3... after all... 1978 and he didn't mention that the wipers still work.

Mentioning the wipers work implies he would be aware of a problem with the wiper mechanism in the 78' s .
The 007 in the artwork implies he thinks the car has a stigma about it that it doesn't.
Out of state tags imply he is passing through

I agree......do not park in Brooklyn.

Looks like it was garaged it's whole life.

IMG_1088.JPG

Update: I went and met with this gentleman today, very nice man, older, late 60s early 70s I would say, that's that matters. But he's on the car for several years and states he is the second owner. He lives in Brooklyn but his register the car in North Carolina because it's cheaper on registration and insurance. The car is in decent drivable shape, as is would make a nice daily driver. His asking price was $7500, I explained to him that in my opinion that wasn't a realistic number, he agreed to negotiate but after looking at the car more closely it's a little bit more than I'm willing to take on. But I would say from my brief inspection that there doesn't seem to be any repairs on the car they wouldn't be worth the money in the effort for the right person.

The pluses, the vinyl top is in very good condition considering, the red leather interior is in very good condition, with a little bit of leather conditioner and some elbow grease the seats would be exceptional. The red carpet is faded, all power windows work with the exception of front passenger, you can hear the motor operate but my guess is the regulator is disconnected from the window track. The owner states the air conditioning does work but does need to charge, it is running all of its original equipment and systems. The tires are very old and would certainly to be replaced, as with the shocks, brakes and all the other normal wear and tear items. IMO. The wipers are complete, but do not work, I'm sure you will know why. Lol. The hideaway headlights work as designed. It has the OE AM/FM stereo with CB radio that the owner states used to work but does no longer, he doesn't drive the car enough to know when it went bad, but it is all there. It has or attempt to that the owner states occasionally works, the owner also stated that he set up a separate switch, which I did not see, that operates the interior fan.

Overall condition in my opinion is good considering where these cars typically have issues. Onto the body work and paint. Only states she is wearing original paint, in my opinion I believe that due to the shape/ condition of the paint. She will certainly need a complete paint job and minor bodywork here and there. I will post all the pictures that I took of the car in my next post. It certainly has its fair share of body dings and damage and even minor rust on the lower corners behind a fender skirts, but again nothing that can't be fixed for the right person with the right wallet. If you guys have anymore questions please feel free.

I know these cars too well.

The vinyl has to come off and there will be rust repair needed under it for sure. I bet the bottom of the rear quarters are rusted out. You can't see it unless you get under the car. Water leaks in to the trunk through the rear side markers and always rusts out the rear quarters. If you look behind the rocker trim....there is always rust behind it. Check the cowl.....most of the time it's filled with leaves and water sitting in there and rots out the cowl.

I love Formal's but unless the car is from out west....there is always going to be some level of rust.

IMG_1092.JPG
IMG_1091.JPG
IMG_1081.JPG

I took a picture of the radio and AC control areas but it looks like it didn't save so I don't have it. I did start the car up and it runs very well. The owner states he bought a Thermo quad carburetor from Summit brand-new, in the car runs accordingly. It will need a new exhaust as the muffler has several holes in it, but the car does sound and run smooth. I did not drive the car. So fillers that's about it in a nutshell, if anyone's interested, I could be the middleman as this gentleman seems very reasonable and very eager to sell. Thanks

I know these cars too well.

The vinyl has to come off and there will be rust repair needed under it for sure. I bet the bottom of the rear quarters are rusted out. You can't see it unless you get under the car. Water leaks in to the trunk through the rear side markers and always rusts out the rear quarters. If you look behind the rocker trim....there is always rust behind it. Check the cowl.....most of the time it's filled with leaves and water sitting in there and rots out the cowl.

Thanks Bob, I did look in the Cowl and both vendor packets that you can see when the front doors are open and they're both filled with dirt and leaves. I did look under the quarters as best I could, and you are correct there is rust there. I don't recall seeing any through rust, however the bubbled and missing paint tells that story.

The leather looks like it is in good condition which is a plus.

Does it manual A/C or ATC II?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back