78 New Yorker Windshield Wiper Assembly

mantlewearer

Reaction score
Hey folks, I recently acquired a 78 New Yorker.
I am in need of windshield wiper linkage.
I understand this year had a poorly designed linkage only used one year; but it also appears that linkage from any 74-77 C body will work for my car on a swap. Can anyone confirm, has anyone done this?
If this is true, then I need the armature that goes on the motor, and the linkage rod that goes from the motor armature to the wiper linkage (and the connecting bushing that connects the motor armature to the connecting rod, since that's what always fails on the 78's.)
Or, I need some help if anyone has a "hack" for this fix. I have all of the components, but the bushing on the armature is junk.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
So you need the Cam that connects the linkage to the motor… search the forums here and you’ll find extensive info on the fix… Bob / 78NYB (RIP) wrote up a thread specifically for this.

So you need the Cam that connects the linkage to the motor… search the forums here and you’ll find extensive info on the fix… Bob / 78NYB (RIP) wrote up a thread specifically for this.
Thanks! I should have searched before I posted (newbie failure on my part) but I did find the thread. I posted against that thread, hoping someone has a template/pattern that I can use to have a new bushing 3D printed (easiest fix from what I can deduce)

Here’s a screenshot for May 2021 thread.

1666153324042.png

Hope this helps get you a kickstart.
Thank you! I was hoping for a little bit easier fix (of course LOL) but if this is the way I need to go then I guess I just need to start collecting the necessary supplies and get on it.
Since this is a known issue and a significant "bug" I was hoping someone had come up with a solution to 3D print the faulty part. That would be the easiest solution and I have access to a 3D printer that can print "auto quality"

My wipers no longer work on my 74' New Yorker either. I guess I need to get out there and look to see what is going on. I assume it is the same problem that looks like everyone else is having.

My wipers no longer work on my 74' New Yorker either. I guess I need to get out there and look to see what is going on. I assume it is the same problem that looks like everyone else is having.

its not the same as 78, 74s didnt have intermittent wipers, they were new for 78. 78 wiper cam prob is a 1 yr only thing.

If your motor is good then its more likely the Linakge bushings. My 75 had the same issue and thats what it was, a relatively easy fix, just gotta dig in and do it. The linkage will all need to come through the Cowl vents for access. you can buy the bushings on FeeBay or your local dodge dealer will have them.

If your motor is good then its more likely the Linakge bushings. My 75 had the same issue and thats what it was, a relatively easy fix, just gotta dig in and do it. The linkage will all need to come through the Cowl vents for access. you can buy the bushings on FeeBay or your local dodge dealer will have them.
RockAuto also has those bushings, I ordered some last week, Dorman 118301:

1666252207648.png

Back