Linkage Pivot Drive Link Assembly '77 New Yorker

Phred

Reaction score
How does one replace the Retainer Bushing on the Drive Link Arm in the 1977 New Yorker? We have the manuals and found the appropriate pages (p8-161, Fig. 12 Windshield Wiper Linkage P, D, and C) but cannot get that retainer bushing to come through the hole. Tried squeezing it with pliers. Gently pounding on the Drive Link Arm (supported by a block of wood). I fear we are just damaging it beyond the point of use. Thanks.

Put the bushings in boiling water to make them nice and pliable. Pop the mushroom heads through the rods first, then insert the metal "button" into the bushing and push....you will feel it pop in. If it's still stubborn, a pair of channel locks can be used to squeeze them together. No hammering required.

Put the bushings in boiling water to make them nice and pliable. Pop the mushroom heads through the rods first, then insert the metal "button" into the bushing and push....you will feel it pop in. If it's still stubborn, a pair of channel locks can be used to squeeze them together. No hammering required.
Mr C: Here are some photos of the parts sold to us for replacement. We don't see a metal "button". Do we need to take the arm out to perform this and how to get it back in once assembled?

NY 8.jpg

NY 9.jpg

NY 10.jpg

Ny 11.jpg

NY 12.jpg

Unbolt the wiper arm assemblies from the wiper motor...then remove them to work on them...then slide them back in as a repaired assembly.

The button part I was referring to is the "male" rounded part of the arm that the plasitc bushing sits on as opposed to the flat part the bushing slides through.

The way you did it is back wards...flat part first, then guide the "male" part in.

There really is no easy way to do this with the arms in the car. Gotta take them out.

I just recently did the ones on my 77. I dab the little bit of grease on the bushing, and then placed a socket a little larger than the hole The bushing is going into on the opposite side of the arm from the bushing and then using a piece of cardboard to cushion the bushing and placed in the bench vice and gave a little squeeze with some pressure and they popped right in.

Back