A bunch of questions from a new Canadian '77 Newport owner

The Lean Burn Thermoquad carbs were really good performers. When eliminating the Lean Burn system, all that really needs done (from a carburetor standpoint) is to increase the jets by two sizes. What I'm not sure of is whether the parts are available to do that these days. In the old days Carter sold a Strip Kit for carburetor tuning that made the job easy. If part are available, there's no need to use a new Edelbrock carb. I did this both to my Dad's 1976 Lean Burn Royal Monaco and my neighbor's 1976 Lean Burn Newport back in the early 1980's. Both ran better than new at that point.

So, just to recap:
Mopar Performance kit P4120505K.
Reman distributor
Eldelbrock Carb?
New/used air cleaner
What else?

Carb Adapter 1481 and Carb Spacer/adapter 2696.

Stock air cleaner fits. After market air cleaner might need Mr gasket 9341 or the one AAP has in the store.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. This makes owning a C Body fun. I will report back when I have the lean burn system removed, and when my engine runs great!

Should be an easy conversion with the installation instructions posted.

3) The vehicle seems quite original said:
The one piece radio antenna was adopted on Chrysler vehicles in 1973. Cars that did not have a radio installed at the factory still got the antenna mount installed.

As for the lean burn, best to leave it alone if it is working fine. Like most electronic devices, they last longer that way. Have 261,000 km on the unit in my present car.
Bill
Vancouver, BC

Whoa, whoa!! Before you go changing the Lean Burn system and the carb, or anything, find out the local rules for Smog Control and checks. I see you're listed as being in DC; if you were in California I would tell you that to do any of that would be illegal! What are the Smog Laws in your area of the US? You may not be able to touch a thing on that motor - legally. Check first, then altar the ignition, etc..

I checked, and there are emissions requirements. The older the car, the less stringent they seem to be, but I do know all the details. I take it in today for an inspection. Fingers crossed. Will revert.

Back