A bunch of questions from a new Canadian '77 Newport owner

Pclancy

Reaction score
Gentlemen (and ladies?):

Having made it across the country in my 77 Newport (Alberta Canada to Washington, DC) I am now in a position to ask your advice about a number of smaller issues. I appreciate your consideration!

1) My radio is different from most--AM/Eight track tape only. 4 speakers. The eight track works great. The radio works fine, kinda, but the tuning bar slips. When you turn the tuning knob the little red indicator bar stays stuck in spots. You need to push the preselect buttons to get the tuning indicator bar to move around the dial, and then sometimes it moves manually, and sometimes not. I think this is a loose belt of some sort. Question: What is involved in removing the radio? Does the dash need to be removed? How much of a PITA is this? Does anyone have a "how to" guide?

2) Same question with the clock. I think it needs a tune up--sometimes works, sometimes does not.

3) The vehicle seems quite original, but I notice the antenna (on the right front fender looking forward from the driver's position) does not telescope down. It's a solid, one piece unit. I assume a PO put that in?

4) The motor has all the lean burn equipment on it. One day, I assume this will break. Is there an authoritative guide to cost effectively converting/removing the lean burn system?

Thanks for your collective wisdom!

Hi and welcome to the FCBO! it's one of the best forums for information!

I'll speak to the radio question.
the radio needs to be removed... there is a tuning belt that is probably dried out and slipping. it's just a matter of time before it breaks.

It's best to find a service manual for the car as well as a parts manual.
It will help you out greatly in the long run.

The antenna? it may be stock since you have a unique radio as well. these can and have rotated in the past but since you are there and the rest of us are a way over here it's hard to say without pictures!!! LOL!

That was the right advice... glad you got home safely.

Hold on a second......

Does it have a power antenna switch to the right of the radio? See picture.... that is what the dash looks like torn apart. There isn't a step by step guide to take the dash apart. I do recommend getting both FSM's and the Parts Manual. You can get them on EBAY pretty cheap or you can get them on CD. I'll post the link in the next post.

DSC02270.JPG

Hold on a second......

Does it have a power antenna switch to the right of the radio? See picture.... that is what the dash looks like torn apart. There isn't a step by step guide to take the dash apart. I do recommend getting both FSM's and the Parts Manual. You can get them on EBAY pretty cheap or you can get them on CD. I'll post the link in the next post.

View attachment 79153
Unfortunately, it does not have that switch.

Unfortunately, it does not have that switch.

You probably have a fixed antenna mast. Take a picture of it and post it and I'll be able to tell you what you have.

Major pain to replace the antenna. So if it works...leave it alone. You would have to find a donor car if you wanted a power antenna. You would need a switch (plus cut a hole in the dash like I did in the picture to mount the switch. You'll need the wiring harness and the power antenna assembly. You have to take the right side inner fender off and (to me) it was easier to take the hood off. Like I said it is a lot of work. New parts are not available.

You probably have a fixed antenna mast. Take a picture of it and post it and I'll be able to tell you what you have.

Major pain to replace the antenna. So if it works...leave it alone. You would have to find a donor car if you wanted a power antenna. You would need a switch (plus cut a hole in the dash like I did in the picture to mount the switch. You'll need the wiring harness and the power antenna assembly. You have to take the right side inner fender off and (to me) it was easier to take the hood off. Like I said it is a lot of work. New parts are not available.
Thanks for your advice. The antenna seems to work just fine, and so I will just leave it as is. Too much other stuff to worry about......

Here's the one you want to get. It's getting hard to find these kits.

Electronic Conversion Kit, 426 Hemi, 426 Wedge, 413/440 Big Block. #P3690428

P3690426_Elect_Ign_Kit.jpg

From what I've read, the Mopar Performance distributors made since 2000 and on have a unstable spark advance at idle. I wouldn't be surprised if they are not making the distributors anymore.
The last time I did a conversion, I found a used distributor and bought a kit like this to do it.
Mopar Performance P4120505K, Mopar Performance Electronic Ignition Conversion Kits | Mopar Performance

If you don't like the used distributor idea, you can also buy a re-manufactured one from your local auto parts store.

312-p4120505k.jpg

From what I've read, the Mopar Performance distributors made since 2000 and on have a unstable spark advance at idle. I wouldn't be surprised if they are not making the distributors anymore.
The last time I did a conversion, I found a used distributor and bought a kit like this to do it.
Mopar Performance P4120505K, Mopar Performance Electronic Ignition Conversion Kits | Mopar Performance

If you don't like the used distributor idea, you can also buy a re-manufactured one from your local auto parts store.

Thanks. But do you mean to say that the kit suggested by the "old man in a hat"
JEGS Performance Products 40504K1, JEGS Mopar Electronic Ignition Conversion Kits with Forged Distributors | JEGS Performance Products

should not be purchased? And that your suggestion of Mopar Performance P4120505K, Mopar Performance Electronic Ignition Conversion Kits | Mopar Performance plus a remanufactured distributor is the best route to take?

Sorry for being confused.

Yes, easier to go to your local auto parts store for the re-manufactured distributor for an older pre-lean burn Newport and purchase the Mopar Performance kit P4120505K.

Back