A guide to your Speed Control Servo

The 68/69 stock will not work with your other cruise parts , 68/69 c/c had a vacuum operated brake switch and the servo had 2 vacuum lines coming off of it - one to the brake switch the other to the brake booster. The servo only had 2 wires going to it , unlike the 3 wire 1970 and up servos .

In the mastertech "video" shown in the first post, a control stalk is shown with a different switch than the 74 stalk. It's more like a ring that you turn, sort of like in my photo. Mine has no printing on it, maybe it's rubbed off, I'll have to look closer. The video dates to '72, so the correct stalk that I'd be looking for is probably anything from a 73 or 72 and earlier.

Here’s a couple of 68/69 stocks I have . The one with the threads on the end is for a tilt column the other is a regular column. There is no writing on them just a small button on the end with a chrome spinning ring in the middle. Does yours look this ?
7E1412F2-094A-4126-A6A9-A36977B67D94.jpeg
18E300A2-0189-4179-BAEA-91C2044DBF4E.jpeg
053E36C5-C202-4994-80E8-0DB21340487D.jpeg
317F3539-145F-46C4-AD25-158BC74603A0.jpeg

Very interesting. I've been wondering if I'll install cruise control on my '67 Monaco. Not sure if I have all the parts. I'll be following this guide if I ever get around to it.

View attachment 578036

Can someone ID this cruise-control stalk ? I'm showing it next to a turn signal arm from a '67 Monaco, they have an identical mounting tab or flange, but the angle is quite a bit different. There is (was) a paper tag still on the stalk wiring with a couple of numbers: 3730759 94013A

Also shown is another cruise control switch - I've no idea what its from.

View attachment 578168

Regarding the cruise control servo units - do they have part numbers on them? All I can see on mine are a couple of "Patent Numbers".

In the mastertech "video" shown in the first post, a control stalk is shown with a different switch than the 74 stalk. It's more like a ring that you turn, sort of like in my photo. Mine has no printing on it, maybe it's rubbed off, I'll have to look closer. The video dates to '72, so the correct stalk that I'd be looking for is probably anything from a 73 or 72 and earlier.
It looks to me that you have a complete 74-up setup for your speed control but it is hard to tell from that first pic. The middle one of the pic with the three stalks is correct for 74 and up, it's the same as mine. I'm assuming you're more about functionality than correctness so here's what I would do.

Open up the switch part of the 74-up stalk. Carefully!! The moving part of that switch is mounted with a single pin, pull it out and the cover will come off. From there you can pry out an additional switch plate witch is also held in place with some pins. Don't lose those, AMHIK. From there you get what I pictured in post #17 and you can now remove the copper contacts. After that you can remove the wires from the stalk completely and you can safely apply some heat to the base of the stalk so you can bend it to the angle of your original stalk. Let it cool, put it all back together and you should be able to start mounting the 74 setup in your 67.

The "reason" they only serviced the complete servo as a unit was that this is better from the dealership side of things. Easier to get the customer "on the road", with a parts and service warranty from Chrysler, than for a (perhaps "learning") tech to unsuccessfully repair the servo. Additionally, if they had a bunch of them with warranty claims, Chrysler could request them back for diagnosis and possible reimbursement from their vendor for the servos. If the dealership tech repaired them, Chrysler would see none of these issues themselves.
Oh I fully understand why the servo is only serviced as a complete unit, and all the other non-servicable parts for that matter. It's just that we're no longer able to walk into a dealership and get another servo unit so you have to get a little creative with your repairs.

What I determined was that the 1974 system would be an exact fit for the '66 Newport, after (as the dealership tech noted), making the slot in the steering column for the turn signal lever about twice as wide (to clear the wiring coming out of the cruise lever). Past that, the only other issue might be how the speedometer cable attached to the back of the speedometer head (snap-on or screw-on). The underhood/underbody spatial relationships between the 1966 and 1974 would be very close to identical, best I could tell.
From what I can tell, this should be entirely doable. The 74 system has a screw-on to screw-on speedometer cable from trans to servo and a screw-on to snap-on from servo to speedometer. So, regardless of what type your original cable is, if you get another cable from the other type you should be able to fit it without much trouble.

The paper tag that was on the '74 stalk I have indicates that it is from a 1971-6 Dodge Truck B Series Van Models With Cruise Control Part Number: 3730759 [Supercedes P/n 2958652] Dodge Truck: B100, B200, B300, Tradesman, Sportsman.

This is part of an entire connected kit (cables, servo, brake switch, stalk, throttle bracket). I must have bought this at a swap meet - I wouldn't have dug this out of a truck or van myself. Which raises the question if the cables are the right length and have the right connections to my speedometer and transmission.

The other servo I have and the old-style stalk switch I probably did take out of a '67 or '68 C body back in the late 1980's.

Regarding what would have been correct in 1967, I've come across a "1967 Plymouth Dodge SPEED CONTROL SWITCH 2820323" for which I have no idea how or where it would mount into my '67 Monaco dashboard:

2820323.jpg

Perhaps that switch was used for this servo?

Was it a hand written tag on that '74 stalk, that a vendor had attached to it? Because that stalk is identical to the one I have on my '75 Imperial which I know to be original so no, it's not only used in vans and trucks. I'm betting all the formal C-bodies ('74-'78) used that stalk.

Can't help you with the earlier systems, those are not on my car. Maybe try @Ross Wooldridge

This tag was on the 4-wire ribbon cable coming out of the stalk. It was brittle and came off as I was unwinding the cable from the stalk:

tag.jpg

Was it a hand written tag on that '74 stalk, that a vendor had attached to it? Because that stalk is identical to the one I have on my '75 Imperial which I know to be original so no, it's not only used in vans and trucks. I'm betting all the formal C-bodies ('74-'78) used that stalk.

Can't help you with the earlier systems, those are not on my car. Maybe try @Ross Wooldridge
Yup, I'm your guy for the earlier Autopilot systems.

Back