A nice little custom package tray *how to w/pics*

turbinebronzebliss

Reaction score
Hi folks! Been hanging out here for a couple of months and doing my best to fit in. Haha! Well, now I've got a little project to contribute! I am a car stereo fabricator so I wanted to make a nice new package tray for my '67 Sport Fury. I've got new speakers in there but I just don't want to see them. Here's my little project in pics!

It's pretty self-explanatory but if anybody has questions, please ask away!

Mike M

20220321_185727.jpg

20220321_185754.jpg

20220321_185801.jpg

20220321_185838.jpg

20220321_185845.jpg

20220321_202319.jpg

20220322_131534.jpg

20220323_124452.jpg

20220323_124510.jpg

20220323_172052.jpg

I like the fact you've used new products, new methods to upgrade an old car, not tacky but done in a tasteful way.
In my view it does not take away anything from the car, are you planning on doing the front dash pad to match?

Have a nice day!

I like the fact you've used new products, new methods to upgrade an old car, not tacky but done in a tasteful way.
In my view it does not take away anything from the car, are you planning on doing the front dash pad to match?

Have a nice day!
Thank you for the feedback! It does look a little out of place I agree. I am hesitant to change anything else in the interior but it is a work in progress so I may go a different direction with it. I may make some trunk panels in the same theme to showcase what I do and show off some of the stereo products I am using.

The dash pad is perfect so I would likely leave that alone.

Nice job, it does not look out of place, I was just wondering about the dash pad as I am redoing mine at the moment, I was just happy to get the sucker out of the car with help from a thread I found on FCBO.
Any pointers would be appreciated, I've cleaned or Ved out the splits, used body filler to bring it back to normal contour and plan on using contact cement to apply a new soft Ostrich vinyl overlay. I plan on using heat and clips.
Have you ever used the Gorilla spray contact cement in your projects and what do you use for clips?

Thanks , PT

I would strongly suggest not using the Gorilla glue as a contact spray cement!
I use one of the best product on the market called Weldwood by DAP. It's a convertible top contact cement and it is amazing. I use that for vinyl a lot. The 3M 77 spray and other aerosol contact cements DO NOT work on poly-backed vinyls so please be careful. after a couple of months it will eventually come apart.

Thanks for the tip, just so happen to have some Weldwood on hand, the wife uses it for some stained glass projects.
I have a convertible Polara so your tip helps with my top issues also.
The old top is ruined and a new one is going on, got a book on " How to install Classic two part Convertible Tops"
from Convertible Top Guys who just outsourced the top from Kee Auto Tops. Sitting on the fence as to trying it myself or getting some pros to do it. I'd like to clean / recondition the top frame up before the new top goes on, I have all the new parts for it, pads , cables, top (s ).

Thanks for all the info, have a good day!
PT

Back