A Pillar woes / Remove front wings

dunderhead

Reaction score
Good afternoon ladies and gents

I'm using my virus lockdown time to try and make progress on my automotive projects and I've worked my way round to my much neglected Imperial. As a quick recap, I bought an imperial that someone has "rat-look"-ed not my thing but they're rare cars in the UK so I got it hoping i can make sensible alterations. Its largely solid but has a few nasty rust areas and that is what I'm tackling first. She'll never be a concourse show car, I just want her to be safe and my repairs to last...

The drives and passenger floors are rotten to the point of having big holes. I've traced the rust and its seem to be caused by a different hole at the base of windscreen on either side. Water has been coming in here and sitting on the floor.

On the drivers side there is a hold big enough to stick you hand through, the whole side of the drivers footwell wall has lots of surface rust, but actually seems fairly solid, presumably the water has drained down here but not sat on the surface.

The passenger side initially seemed in a lot better shape but that was a largely that a thick layer of aftermarket paint was holding stuff together. One prod with a screw driver and it wasnt too far behind it's brother.

I'm not particularly experienced with this sort of thing but I've bought the car as a project to learn with. I was hoping to outline my plan of attack and you guys either set me straight or fill-in some more details.

There seems to a metal panel at the base of the screen and joins the firewall. It would appear this is supposed to extent out underneath the front wings join. It seems like the final few inches of this are missing. So my thoughts were remove the front wings. Weld in new metal to complete the panel back out underneath the wings and remount the wings. Simples.

# The panel in question seems fairly strong everywhere except the far corners, so i should be able to grind back to good metal.
# I'm assuming I need to remove the wings completely to access the panel and the new metal on the panel will need to be "trapped" under the wing.

Assuming that is correct does anyone have a good guide on how to remove the wings. I caught sight of one or two bolts in unusual places so I'm wonder if there are more. Apart from rmoving the head lights, bumper and grill I there much else I need to do.

Any help greatly received.

IMG_20200729_142518.jpg

IMG_20200729_142511.jpg

IMG_20200729_142501.jpg

IMG_20200729_142448.jpg

IMG_20200729_142437.jpg

IMG_20200729_142433.jpg

It looks like you have a 1972 or '73 Imperial. You'll likely have to remove the front bumper assembly to get the wings(fenders in US speak) off. The bonnet will need to come off too. There's quite a few fasteners attaching the wings, probably 12 to 15 on each side:

wing to inner splash shield
wing to upper firewall pillar
wing to rocker panel
wing to radiator support

Jeff

Hi jeff thanks for you reply, thats good to know as they seemed to be the ones I'd already seen.

I've been looking round the forum and I found a photo of a stripped C-Body. I've highlight the section of the panel I think I need to be replacing. I thought it was a single flat piece but it turn out it's effectively the roof a box. Might make it a touch more trouble some but fingers crossed.

Stripped C Body.JPG

Just been out and looked at the car, it does make a lot more sense now.

I assumed the wings would off with the hood still in place, and then couldn't really see where things separated. Your description - and with the hood and hinges off - i think I can see how it would all work.

Many thanks.

I think I'll get a picture of my actual car and highlight each of the point i think need to come apart and run it by the group just to be 100%.

Oh and yes 1972 (?) Imperial, i thought that my details on the side said that, but it must be another forum with that,

The rust on your car isn't unusual. If the rust is confined to the flat top panel, it won't be too difficult to repair once you have access to it.

Jeff

I did think when i was pulling stuff off it "well how that was always going to cause a problem".

Quite looking forward to the whole thing now if i'm honest, bet i wont be saying that after I'm done.

It looks like someone may have intentionally added "patina" to the car. Hopefully, you can remove that and make it a shiny, silver car again. Will be interesting to see how things go on the project.

Jeff

Your right, they seem to have used a grinder to take all the paint off, let it rust a while and then laquered it. I'm sure it's 'bang on trend' but it's not for me, makes the whole car look a mess. Does get lots of reactions but generally seems to be people that know nothing about cars.

Don't even know what they've used on the roof but it dyes the sponge red if you wash it so it's not gonna last.

I'm hoping to sand it back and go with a flat black for the time being. Still a bit too 'on trend' for the old girl but at least she looks like someone owns her.

IMG_20200729_174426.jpg

The roof is most likely just red primer. It's not meant to be out in the sun.

Overall, the car doesn't look too bad, though you'd have to blame Mother Nature for the rot on the hood, and not the person who did the "patina" work.

I have a friend in the UK who knew the whereabouts of a wrecked 72 or 73 Imperial a few years back. If I remember correctly, it was hit in the rear. If you are interested in getting a better hood, I could check and see if it's still around and if the owner would want to sell parts off of it.

Jeff

The hood is actually pretty decent apart from the leading edge. The laquer seems to have stopped it getting any worse. ATM it's not even on the list.

The c pillars are in really bad shape, and then the panel between the rear screen and boot lid.

So they're my next concerns after the a pillars, but really I'm trying not to look at them too much and just focus on the a pillars, I don't wanna feel like I'm getting overwhelmed. I'm sure there will be future posts on them subjects

IMG_20200729_182630.jpg

IMG-20200729-WA0013.jpeg

IMG-20200729-WA0008.jpeg

Looks like that car came from a hot, humid area, likely near the ocean. That's where you usually find the kind of rust that your car has, especially the front edge of the hood.

Jeff

Not sure tbh, I know it spent at least some time at a USAF base, presumably it was a staff car or something.
IMG_20200730_172940.jpg

Yes, previous owner was in the US Air Force at one point in time. Parking permit is national, so it won't help narrow down a location. There are many bases close to the ocean. Florida would be a likely candidate.

Jeff

Ahh i was wondering if there was a way to trace where it was from but not something I really looked into. Thanks for saving me the effort. I think i did find another sticker that gave dates, but I cant remember where i saw it now. if i come across it again I'll post it up

Ahh i was wondering if there was a way to trace where it was from but not something I really looked into. Thanks for saving me the effort. I think i did find another sticker that gave dates, but I cant remember where i saw it now. if i come across it again I'll post it up
The month is usually laying on top of the location sticker on the left (2 digits) and the year is on the right end of the same.

Back