A727 Diagnosis requested..

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
... before I have to buy the "How to Troubleshoot and Repair the Chrysler A727 TorqueFlite Transmission" book.

Symptom:
When cold;
Select "D", drive away, come to first stop.
Start to continue driving;
Step on the accelerator, the transmission slips, catches, and then shifts normally thereafter.

Is this be a problem that can be nipped in the bud?

sounds like filter and fulid needs changed. be sure to adjust bands and see how gunked up the pan and filter look if you see big pieces of crap stop and pull tranny cause changing the fuild is going to kill it in about a week.

Yes, I sit at idle, foot on brake, go thru the pattern.

Very recent power flush with of course the filter.

Didn't do this before the flush.
Should have left the old stuff in there. It was fine.

Only does it once pulling away after first stop?
Yes.
Apparantly when I come to a stop, it feels like it hasn't fully downshifted into first and upon stepping on the accelerator, first gear does not want to engage for a second or two.

Weird that I can pull away immediately on a dead cold start,
come to my first stop,
tranny slips upon starting to pull away,
release accelerator,
tranny engages, I then accelerate,
and it never happens again.

Very minor, but I want to know why for future reference with this tranny so I know what I am doing.

No problem Stan.

We all have our strengths.
Trannys are a bit complicated for most people and sometimes it is best to take it to a trans shop.
but let me ask.

Does this happen after it is fully warmed up?

If no then it can be the valve body still.
when you changed the filter did you use a proper torque wrench or tighten it by feel?

If by feel then you need to get it torqued properly.
You may have warped the valve body which will cause what you are experiencing.

If you did there may be some contamination that got into the valve body.

Finally if it happens all the time it could be the front pump failing or again an internal leak..

Again it may be best to seek a professional opinion...

Luckily the 727 has been around for a long time and most shops worth their wieght are very familiar with this transmission

No problem Stan.

We all have our strengths.
Trannys are a bit complicated for most people and sometimes it is best to take it to a trans shop.
but let me ask.
Ask away. Please.

Does this happen after it is fully warmed up?
No.

If no then it can be the valve body still.
when you changed the filter did you use a proper torque wrench or tighten it by feel?
Feel. Now I feel ashamed...

If by feel then you need to get it torqued properly.
You may have warped the valve body which will cause what you are experiencing.
Definately will pull pan and retighten properly.

If you did there may be some contamination that got into the valve body.
Ugh...

Finally if it happens all the time it could be the front pump failing or again an internal leak..
Double, tripple, ugh...

Again it may be best to seek a professional opinion...
Lol

Luckily the 727 has been around for a long time and most shops worth their wieght are very familiar with this transmission
I'm fortunate that there is a shop like that locally
Thanks !

I hope it can be sorted out with minimal efforts and cost.
I broke my front pump last year trying to seal it up and the tranny shop that specializes in the 727's asked me who had installed the pump since in the 30+ years he had been rebuilding 727's had never seen a cracked pump before.

My response was, "Now you have" LOL!!!

It only cost me 3 Benjamins to fix that mistake! and admitting I had f'ked up. Not sure what hurt worse.

I can laugh about it now almost....:sigh::sigh::sigh: no I can't! it still hurts!!!!:head_smack:

I almost hate to post this... It kinda sounds like the level is low...

Check in neutral, engine running, preferably hot.

I know... that would be way too simple....

i think i read somewhere that the converter drains when the car sits, and when you first start, you need to put it in N and let the converter fill up some? also operating temp - it has to come up to temp, at least move off "C" anyways.

mine slips too, so you arent alone. putting it in N + letting it warm up to 140+ helps me over here.

$.02

- saylor

Only time I have seen this was a piece of debris between v.b. and case and it cracked the valve body. Yours was not removed but could be the flush loosened something, turn up the radio and drive it till it will not move. That's what I would do. BTW it happened all the time when v.b. was cracked.

Last edited:
I almost hate to post this... It kinda sounds like the level is low...

Check in neutral, engine running, preferably hot.

I know... that would be way too simple....
Yep. Too simple. lmao.
Level is right on the mark.
BUT, many times it is the simple stuff. :D

Back