A74 code on 1970 senior Dodges (and A71 A75 A76 too!)

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
In a thread started last week by @watchfatha to sell a great FY6 1970 Polara Custom sedan that he owns, the question came up about the A74 code seen on a number of 1970 Polara fender tags (@fc7_plumcrazy and @polara71 contributed this info).

@69CoronetRT @shooter65 and @cuda hunter made a number of helpful posts, with suggestions that the A74 code could be a mis-stamp (for A47? A24?) or might indicate the Polara Custom trim level -- like A75 indicates Monaco 500 2dr, A76 indicates Monaco Brougham on 1970 US senior Dodges, and (per @Bill Watson ) A71 should indicate the Polara Special package.

Since no definite answer was provided, @Joeychgo and @Toolmanmike suggested that the topic might be worth its own thread. I am interested in the answer, so let's have at it :)

Last edited:
In a thread started last week by @watchfatha to sell a great FY6 1970 Polara Custom sedan that he owns, the question came up about the A74 code seen on a number of 1970 Polara fender tags (@fc7_plumcrazy and @polara71 contributed this info).

@69CoronetRT @shooter65 and @cuda hunter made a number of helpful posts, with suggestions that the A74 code could be a mis-stamp (for A47? A24?) or might indicate the Polara Custom trim level -- like A75 indicates Monaco 500 2dr, A76 indicates Monaco Brougham on 1970 US senior Dodges, and (per @Bill Watson ) A71 indicates the Polara Special package.

Since no definite answer was provided, @Joeychgo and @Toolmanmike suggested that the topic might be worth its own thread. I am interested in the answer, so let's have at it :)

A74= vehicle protection package, Australia

Dave

upload_2017-8-23_21-38-1-png.png

If there are more you can compare them and maybe find similar things...

If the A74 Protection Package was an assemblage of individual options (as other option packages Chrysler did back then tended to be), what about the installation rates of those particular items, if available individually? For example, I would suspect that body side mouldings might be popular compared to the bumper guards.

Just curious,
CBODY67

I'll copy my post from the other thread.

Here's my GUESS and nothing more due to lack of data to support my theory (ANOTHER reason to save every tag, window sticker and broadcast sheet possible)

Some 70's codes for package cars and body styles get a little wonky.

For example:

70 Barracuda and Challenger Coupe cars carry the BS23 and JH23 hard top VIN code on the tag but also the A93 coupe package code on the tag instead of a typical 21 Coupe body style designation. The coupe body style is actually coded as a package would be.

70 Sport Fury GTs Carry the PH23 VIN but the A52 'package' code an also a PP23 designation.

70 S23 cars carry a PH23 VIN but an A51 'package' code and PS23 designation.

It's as if certain A codes in 1970 indicate a 'super' package code where normal package parameters are exceeded and virtually change the body style and/or model designation of the car.

Without any other verification, I'm wondering of the A74 code is such a designation for the DM VIN.

Do we have any other A74 cars that are NOT DM cars?
Do all DM cars code A74?

Does anyone else remember the thread where I asked about the 70 Dodge C body production numbers? I think this very topic was the root cause for them not balancing. We could not reconcile the Custom numbers as they were accounted for differently due to the A74 code (since re read. It was the DE numbers that we couldn't balance possibly for the same reason as the A74 codes and DM cars. The A** codes affect production totals) .

You also have to consider the A71 (Polara Special) and A77 (Monaco only???) packages may fall under this same line of thinking. They are Super packages in some way.

IF this is the correct possibility for the decoding, then we have to take another look at the F* VIN cars that pop up now and then and take another look at why they code F* and are, maybe, not typos but indeed an actual specific model designation.

Take aways:

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, take the time to snap pictures of fender tags and look for broadcast sheets and window stickers in any junk yard cars, cars you part out or at car shows. Every piece of information is valuable in some way.

A lot of published information or 'common belief' is incomplete or erroneous. Research is ongoing.

Last edited:
This may not be of any help to you guys but I went through all the dealership folders for 70 dodge c-bodys and none of the invoices had a74 on them. I sent a partial pic of a 70 order form and a74 is not on it, so it would have been a write in code. Also a71 was on a few invoices and window sticker's I have with nothing listed except an astrix.
IMG_20211117_200514916.jpg
IMG_20211117_200459954.jpg

This may not be of any help to you guys but I went through all the dealership folders for 70 dodge c-bodys and none of the invoices had a74 on them. I sent a partial pic of a 70 order form and a74 is not on it, so it would have been a write in code. Also a71 was on a few invoices and window sticker's I have with nothing listed except an astrix. View attachment 497736 View attachment 497737

You also have to consider the A71 (Polara Special) and A77 (Monaco only???) packages may fall under this same line of thinking.

The Window sticker confirms the correlation. DM in the VIN. A71* and the DE reference just as you would find on the A51 PS and A52 PP cars. Bingo!

Great post. Thank you!

You also have to consider the A71 (Polara Special) and A77 (Monaco only???) packages may fall under this same line of thinking.

The Window sticker confirms the correlation. DM in the VIN. A71* and the DE reference just as you would find on the A51 PS and A52 PP cars. Bingo!

Great post. Thank you!
Your welcome, glad to help

Just a recap to check if I got it right:

A package code may change the price class and it is the higher price class that gets recorded in the VIN.

Just a recap to check if I got it right:

A package code may change the price class and it is the higher price class that gets recorded in the VIN.

That is partially what my theory is.

The package coded changes the price class but the higher class may not necessarily be recorded in the VIN. See the DM (M= medium) VIN but the DE (E= economy) reference with the A71 code. The A51 and A52 cars get PH VINs but PP and PS (Premium and Special) designations; or 'lower' VIN price classes.

Here's why this all matters.....

It's helps to be somewhat familiar with the underlying Sales Reports, the source of which production and option distribution numbers are derived.
GG's white book, a common source for production figures, does not list any numbers for the 70 DM Polara Custom cars.

IF production numbers are accounted for by the option code number, say A74 and not by the DM VIN, then the production tally may appear on as a line item on the report and not as a column heading tally.

C body sales reports don't seem to be as prevalent as A, B or E body cars. IF the full 70 Dodge sales report even exists, was the page contains the A section codes missing from the copy GG had meaning he couldn't report the numbers?

Knowing where and how to look at the reports would clarify production figures and answer other questions regarding the A** option codes.

This is one of the reasons why the reported totals (see the other thread on the DE cars) might not balance. IF you are trying to account for cars via a VIN code and not a package code, you are looking at and interpreting the data incorrectly.

Of course, I'd love to see the full 70 Dodge report to clarify all of this.

Back