Accessing spark plugs on driver side

Well this gets better, I figure I would switch to something I can do and that is put on the mopar performance valve covers I got for Christmas a couple of years ago. I had the mechanic fit the PVC and breather for me. As I go to put the gasket on the valve cover I find out the valve cover only has 5 holes for mounting to the head, bottom line wrong valve cover. Right gasket for my car but wrong covers. Any idea what engine they might fit? Probably a small block since they appear to be smaller. Anybody in the market for valve covers?

Now somebody will come up with a hot headers story... :lol:
One of the reasons I loved my MSD was we didn't have to use warm up plugs.

The routine was pull the car off the trailer, jack it up and run it to warm up the engine, trans and rear. Put it back on the ground and swap in new plugs. While those Jere Stahl headers were nice, they still burnt your knuckles. I never used a rachet... Only a plug socket and a 7/8" combo wrench. I could have them changed pretty quickly, but my knuckles always had a burn or two during racing season.

With the MSD, the plugs were still clean and I could run pretty much all season and never touch them.

i'll try for pics a little later.
Does the bolt hole layout look like this? This is from a 318, 5 holes...

upload_2020-6-7_15-45-4.jpeg

upload_2020-6-7_15-47-29.jpeg

looks like the bolt pattern. I was looking on line again and they look like they are for the small block. They are the black and silver die cast valve covers. Each cover has a oil fill and a knockout. I had both knock outs done with a pvc valve in the one valve cover and a breather in the other.

I've always done all 8 from the topside. The use of a ratchet, plug socket, universal and a couple of extensions.

The best plug job I ever did was for my dad, retired mechanic, he was back on vacation and decided the plugs needed changed so he elected me to do it.

Always did mine top side. Spark plug socket, woble extension and flex head rachet. I did splurge when I worked in a C-P dealership and bought a Snap On double jointed spark plug socket. That thing is sweet.

On my '71 383 with log manifolds, I find it easier to get #1, 3 & 5 from the top. Then I get #7 from the bottom. I do all passenger's side plugs from top.

To me, model year/platform makes a big difference. I can do all of the '66 Newport 383's plugs from the top. Only have to remove the gravel shield from the bottom of the steering column for a more "straight shot" situation on #7. Extension and flex-joint is all that's needed.

On our '72 Newport 400, with its taller fender lines, #7 is much easier from the bottom. When I was in college, I could slide under it, with the hard plastic water shield for the starter being just cleared by my chest. In later years, jack stands and a jack are needed. NO real access from the top for #7, the way things are configured.

Things changed again in '74. Lower fender lines and better access from the top, it appears. BUT more potential stuff in the way.

On ANY year, that cruise control mechanism occupies a lot of fender liner space on the lh side, by observation. Some worse than others.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back