Advice on Roof restoration 1967 Plymouth Fury III

Vexed_Waffle

Reaction score
This is an old story but one I'm now dealing with.

Took off the vinyl top from my 1967 Plymouth Fury III. Only to discover a bondo newspaper filled (around the back window) horror show. Had my auto body friend take out the rear window and we discovered that the previous owner did a cheap and quick newspaper job around it. Front of roof looks to be the same shape.

My auto body bud figures it was a quick bondo fix then new vinyl was thrown over it. Followed by a quick paint job of the car and a quick flip to yours truly.

Had no idea that it was that bad underneath. Lesson learned. There are more horror stories about the car that I won't get into here. It was an ebay purchase 3 years ago that was not what I thought it was going to be. (Long story)

So basically I need a patch for around the rear window and front windshield. (My auto body friend of mine does not have the machinery to fabricate a patch replacement/nor the comfort level to do so. And I am on a budget)nother option would be just to replace the roof. But not many furies locally in my neck of the woods (Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada)

I've included pictures below. As you can see its a bondo fest. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_4076.jpg

IMG_4077.jpg

IMG_4078.jpg

IMG_4079.jpg

IMG_4082.jpg

IMG_4083.jpg

IMG_4084.jpg

IMG_4085.jpg

IMG_4087.jpg

Place called Moore's Auto Salvage in Rapid City S.D. I'm sure will have your replacement rust free roof. As for shipping?????????? It'z probably ah little over 700 miles one way but still cheaper then having it shipped and very doable. Pull Moore's up on your 'puter and take the Plymouth tour. G.L. with it and sorry for the surprise, That suckz man, Jer

Thanks Jer. Just sent out and email to Moore's this morning. Had no idea about it. If anyone else has any other places or advice, feel free to share. I need all the help I can get.

i have used moore's several times in the past with great results.

I used Moore's in the past with great results, They shipped out a complete trunk floor pan section for my old 69 sport fury vert. it was mint with no rust and cut out perfectly.

Currently trying to talk to Mark from Moore's been leaving messages but no answer yet. Firing off a fax today with a picture of the part of the roof I need. We'll see what the price is for pickup and/or shipping. If not much difference between the partial part and the full roof. I will probably get the full roof and drive down there. Below is my autobody bud's sketch of the part needed.

As always I will keep you guys in the loop.

IMG.jpg

IMG.jpg

Question is, what else has been done that way, thinking of rocker Panels, quarters, Frame etc. Check out the whole car before you open the Pandora Box.

That's a real concern of mine as well. What is hidden beneath. I spoke with moore's. After playing phone tag for a week. The roof part I need is. 500 plus 200 shipping. Full roof 900 before shipping. Could find a whole parts car for that price so am currently looking for one locally.

Also mentioned to moore's to keep and eye out for a complete parts car if and when it comes in and will price out accordingly.

The hunt continues.

V_W. Not trying to complicate your life but I've gotta ask yeah. Have you ever tried and are you ready to do about ah 12' long roof weld and shrink metal on curved surfaces? I tried to flatten out ah roof on a 1980 300D 4 door 'Benz that went sideways into a utility pole at the B-Pillar ah 100 yearz ago and had over 200 hourz in the fix not counting cutting the floor and pulling the right side if the car back out to spec again, and never waz completely happy with the resultz just because I waz trying to save ah couple buckz. And we won't talk about the time spent patching in the floor, welding in new inner and outer frame rails, and new B-pillar and hanging 2 new doorz. In hind sight I'd have saved time and $ if I'd just harvested ah total roof and did what I'm going to suggest you do. FYI, The guy that bought that little 'Benz never knew, but I could still see the imperfections in my work! My suggestion to you would be to bit the bullet on this one and get ah whole roof at the bottom of the A-pillars, make your measurements and then make an identical cut somewhere up the A-pillars on both roofs for a butt weld, and get enough extra metal at the bottom of the B-pillars to flange the metal and do a lap joint and scew in and glue it rather then welding it. (no metal shrinking) G.L. on it which ever way you jump, Jer

the problem with a parts car is that you aren't going to know anything more about the condition of the roof than you did on this one. seller isn't going to let you remove moldings and pull back vinyl. my opinion is that a roof section or entire roof would be the way to go. clean dry metal and easy to inspect or return if you aren't happy.

Back