Advise please; saw a sweet 65 NY with title status "lien"

68-300

Reaction score
Found a very very nice 65 NY that is loaded with options (AC, power bucket seats (both with headrest), PW and power vents, cruise and clear tail light lenses (early build 65 NY)) This car for fills 95% of my wishes (black interior would have made it 100%).
Before I even start negotiating with the seller I want to know what it means if the title status is "lien" I've bought several cars in the US but I never had to deal with a car that didn't have a clean title.
What do you normally do if you want to buy a car if the title status is lien?
Any advise is welcome!

It means that whoever is selling the car owes someone money for it. Usually a bank, but could be a private individual, who lent him the money to buy it. So legally you could never put the car in your name till that is satisfied. Whoever holds the lein has the rights to it should the guy default. Personally I would steer clear of any car that didn't have a "Clear title" unless you could physically march down to the bank with the guy and payoff the loan, which in your case would be very hard unless the car is in the Netherlands

you can track it down, or ask the seller what is going on - either way - but ya you want that not showing on the title. or satisfy the lien.

The title should say who the lien holder is. Contact them about the lien. Or contact the state DMV they will give you the info.

He will swear on his mother's grave that if you give him the money he will give you the title.
He will swear on his mother's grave that if you give him the money he will give you the title.

The very second the title is clear, remember, there will be a split second where he has a clear title in his name to a car that he owns outright.
And you have nothing.

Thanks for the replies.

Stan is right, there is a risk the seller will be happy with a clear title in hand, for some it's hard to block some basic urges ......long distance buying can be a b$@&. I've had mostly good experiences but sadly also 2 bad ones, still I will not loose faith in humanity but in this case caution is advised,

I like this car so much I would consider taking a plane to look at it or have it inspected, first I will contact the seller and see what the reason is for the lien on the car and get a feeling if he even wants to deal with an European buyer.

Is the actual title now in possession of the lien holder?
Is there a safer way to handle this like; I pay of the lien and pay the seller the price we agreed on minus the lien I payed of......man I really like this car

Insist on proof that the title is CLEAR and lien-free. He should then provide you with what is called a "lien release" from the bank (or whomever holds the lien) which will state that the car is free and clear of all encumbrances; i.e. a lien-free title.

There used to be a remedy for repair shops that had non paying customers called a mechanics lien. It might still exist but essentially, a title could not be transferred without proof that lien was satisfied.

Well after some communication with the seller I think he's a stand up guy, he is restoring his dads 54 Mercury and needed the money of the 65 NY to pay for that. There was still a small loan on the NY but that would have been taken care of before he sold it.
He pointed me to a youtube video about him and the 54 Mercury. Maybe some of you know the show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FLrDZu6pLI

In the end he decided to not sell the NY, I'm disappointed but if it had been my car I would probably made the same decision. This NY was very close to perfect for me.....
1965-chrysler-001-2.jpg1965-chrysler-001-1.jpg

1965-chrysler-001-2.jpg

1965-chrysler-001-1.jpg

Back